CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my CTX has a “ cigarette lighter style “ charger in the glove box. I bought a dual usb flush charger and plugged it in. To charge my phone I scrape up my hands sliding my phone into the little glove box to plug it in. I have a nice phone mount on my handle bars. Is there a way to have glove box lid closed but fish out the USB cord from the glove box to the phone on the mount when I need juice, instead of having to place phone in that insanely tight box and can’t even see the phone? Thanks I hope all understood the situation, I don’t think I described it well.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Add a couple washers to the lid/hinge interface to give you a gap in the tank lid to run the charging cable out and to your phone mount?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Add a couple washers to the lid/hinge interface to give you a gap in the tank lid to run the charging cable out and to your phone mount?
Thanks for the suggestion.There’s the rubber cover and then the plastic tank cover. The rubber lid I could just not latch. The plastic fuel tank lid could have a small gap with washers. I would think the lid would need secured so it doesn’t blow up in the wind. My bad when I ordered the bike, glove box is a terrible spot for power source.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion.There’s the rubber cover and then the plastic tank cover. The rubber lid I could just not latch. The plastic fuel tank lid could have a small gap with washers. I would think the lid would need secured so it doesn’t blow up in the wind. My bad when I ordered the bike, glove box is a terrible spot for power source.
The hinge is to the rear of the bike... route the cable out that side and the front of the tank cover can still use the normal clip to keep it closed. You may need some longer screws and a small stack of washers to get enough clearance for the cable.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You could also get small grommet from ace that fits tight around cable, drill a small hole in storage bay, put grommet in, feed cable through grommet and under fake tank to front for handlebars, or do as other have done, mount a usb adapter on handlebars

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If you don't want to drill the bike, just buy a new socket with wires, attach it to the battery terminals, and they usually come with a strap that allows attachment to the frame.

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another option is if you have the fairing model you can remove the left speaker panel and access the heated grip plug / harness and use this to power a usb port to plug your phone into. This is on the same circuit that the cigarette lighter plug uses. It is protected by fuse #1 7.5A (OP) and controlled by the ignition switch thru the OP relay page 23-3 service manual.
http://www.greenknights36.com/html/files/Pictures/Temp/ServiceManual.pdf
https://qsl.net/k/kb2umj//honda/ctx700/USB.htm
I have heated grips and the dealer installed a 12 volt plug in the box. Would that mean your idea wouldn’t work because cable is already in use ?

·
Registered
628 Posts
The circuit is protected by a 7.5 amp fuse. So the total amp draw of everything on the circuit is limited to 7.5 or less. If you already have the heated grips plugged into the harness I believe you would have to determine the wire gauge used for the harness to determine the total load carrying capacity it can handle. Mtvic’s idea of pulling off the unused harness for the cig lighter would be the safer bet. Athena’s idea would be the safest. Straight to the battery on a fused harness independent of the bikes wiring harness,
Automotive Wire Amperage Capacity Chart - Jasco Automotive Ltd
https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08T70-MJF-A30.pdf

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The circuit is protected by a 7.5 amp fuse. So the total amp draw of everything on the circuit is limited to 7.5 or less. If you already have the heated grips plugged into the harness I believe you would have to determine the wire gauge used for the harness to determine the total load carrying capacity it can handle. Mitvic’s idea of pulling off the unused harness for the cig lighter would be the safer bet. Athena’s idea would be the safest. Straight to the battery on a fused harness independent of the bikes wiring harness,
Automotive Wire Amperage Capacity Chart - Jasco Automotive Ltd
https://cdn.powersports.honda.com/documentum/MW01/08T70-MJF-A30.pdf
So oddly enough, while searching on this site. I saw a picture of someone who had the usb cable simply coming out of the socket and under the lid with lid CLOSED! I thought no way…. I tried it and the lid actually easily closes with cable running out of it. Looking at it , it doesn’t seem possible without smashing cord, however cord moves freely when I pull on it. Ordered a braided cord(didn’t want to use standard plastic one). Will test it during a ride to make sure cord coming out of the tank doesn’t interfere with turning. Thanks all for ideas!

·
Registered
2014 CTX700, 2014 CTX1300
23 Posts
I actually run my wire right out of the part of the glove box cap furthest from it's hinge and route it up and out of the little pull area on the top of the cover. It closes fine like this and I use the X-Ram mount. On the handlebar. I could get away with a 3' cord.

I use REVER and GPS all the time, so stowing the phone in the box isn't really an option for me. If you have a long enough cable you could throw the phone in your pocked using this method I guess.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually run my wire right out of the part of the glove box cap furthest from it's hinge and route it up and out of the little pull area on the top of the cover. It closes fine like this and I use the X-Ram mount. On the handlebar. I could get away with a 3' cord.

I use REVER and GPS all the time, so stowing the phone in the box isn't really an option for me. If you have a long enough cable you could throw the phone in your pocked using this method I guess.

View attachment 88350

View attachment 88351
I actually figured this out, seeing another guy do it in an old post. That guy didn’t even have an integrated plug. He used a portable power source he stuck on his glove box and ran out like you show in your pictures. I would never guess the door would shut properly, but as you and at least one other figured out. Thanks for the pictures, my phone is on the left otherwise same set up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is the phone mount I purchased with short USB-C cables to charge my phone

·
Registered
7 Posts
So my CTX has a “ cigarette lighter style “ charger in the glove box. I bought a dual usb flush charger and plugged it in. To charge my phone I scrape up my hands sliding my phone into the little glove box to plug it in. I have a nice phone mount on my handle bars. Is there a way to have glove box lid closed but fish out the USB cord from the glove box to the phone on the mount when I need juice, instead of having to place phone in that insanely tight box and can’t even see the phone? Thanks I hope all understood the situation, I don’t think I described it well.
Yes there is. Do what I did. Buy a small round rasp type file. The glove box like everything else is plastic. Just carefully file a small round cut in the plastic so you can snake your power cord out of glove box when closed. Slow and careful. Should take 2 minutes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I always have a usb cable plugged in and coiled up in the glove box of my CTX. If I mount my phone on the handlebar, I run the usb cable up to the phone, with enough room to turn the bar, and close the glove box lid with no problem. No mods required.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ive found i dont need to modify anything. If you make sure you have a sturdy but long enough cable you can round it throught the bottom right or left of the inner lid and then route it back up towards the catch using the gas cap holder (at least I think that is what it is XD) and put your phone in a holder, bingo bango you are good to go

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
472 Posts
Is there a way to have glove box lid closed but fish out the USB cord from the glove box to the phone on the mount when I need juice, instead of having to place phone in that insanely tight box and can’t even see the phone?
I find threading the cord out of the box through the top, on the hinge side of the inner (rubber) flap and next to the catch at the top of the outer cover works great. There's enough space to allow both the cover and flap to close completely with the cord there. In fact, I have two lines running out of the glove box on the top side (the other is to a garage door opener button).

Just make sure you've got a long enough line to reach and connect to your phone and allow your bars to turn its maximum in both directions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts