CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone-

I just joined the forum after a trip to my local Honda dealer. I currently ride a HD Sportster 883 and have previously owned a Triumph Bonneville and a couple of Viragos before that. I actually went to the Honda dealership to check out the CB1100 but found it a bit too tall for me to be comfortable in traffic with my short 30" inseam. Without me asking him, the salesman told me to wait a second outside for him and rode up on a CTX700N with DCT and told me to take it out for a half hour and let me know what I thought. I wasn't going to complain about an unsolicited test ride, so I did, and now I understand why he did that. It was great and I am seriously considering getting one next riding season.

After looking at the threads in this forum and answering some questions I have, I still have one to pose you you all-

Do you think the faired version is worth the extra cash over the naked version for someone in a cold climate like I am (Boston) if I go on an occasional 100 mile ride?

Reactions: scootermanscott

·
Banned
463 Posts
I, of course, have the faired version since I am not a "wind in the face" type so, YES, the faired version is worth whatever the difference is.

If you look at the various threads on the forum you see everyone, faired or naked, are looking at the available windshields to minimize the buffetting.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Your use to naked, so the answer is No. But, your intentions are what really matter here. Are you tired of the wind, love the wind, want long distant riding, short only, touring, sprint, do it all, warm weather, cold weather etc. Same questions for every bike purchase. If your comparing the naked to faired, it's easy, do you want something like a Goldwing or a Fatboy really?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Scott and welcome to the forum! I live in the Boston area and have the naked version. I have gone on several rides of 200 miles or so and rode in cold weather. For me it comes down to the the styling. Do you prefer the look of the faring? You can put an aftermarket windshield on the naked version for under $200. Also, even with the fairing you may want to change the windshield to an aftermarket version. There seems to be some folks with the fairing model and the tall optional Honda windshield that have gone to the the aftermarket windshields. Unless the additional cost is the issue then go with the version that puts the sparkle in your eye. I am not sure what the other advantages of the faring model are but others with that model can weigh in.

Reactions: hazloaf

·
Banned
463 Posts
Your use to naked, so the answer is No. But, your intentions are what really matter here. Are you tired of the wind, love the wind, want long distant riding, short only, touring, sprint, do it all, warm weather, cold weather etc. Same questions for every bike purchase. If your comparing the naked to faired, it's easy, do you want something like a Goldwing or a Fatboy really?
The fairing model doesn't even come close to a Goldwing......even with a Cee Bailie screen.
Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say.

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
The fairing model doesn't even come close to a Goldwing......even with a Cee Bailie screen.
Maybe I misunderstood what you were trying to say.
Wind protection wise. All your bikes listed have some sort of fairing or wind protection. Naked, is just that no protection at all, naked is a whole different experience! Even a partial fairing or small screen alone makes a major difference! This is one reason why there are so many types of bikes out there, so many options to choose from.

It's like comparing a sun roof, t-tops, convertibles with windows up or down and no windshield at all for cagers.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I'm with CTXer. Pick the version that most catches your eye. Comfort accessories can always be added later as needed. I just got the naked DCT version last Thursday. While I only have 32 mi on it so far, it's a great ride. 95 + % of my riding will be around town. For the remaining 5 %, I just ordered a National Cycle Deflector shield per post by "Man" I believe.

BTW... thank you all for the great info on this forum. It has been quite helpful.

·
Banned
463 Posts
Kirstenparks,
you must have taken that pic with a miniature camera.

·
Banned
463 Posts
No don't do that.
Make it an attachment.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Potential Buyer

Faired or unfaired, spare a thought for us here in Oz where the Integra scooter is also available for around the same price. No it's not particularly pretty but reading thru the specs it has a centrestand, combined ABS and a fourteen litre tank. Only 4Kg heavier than faired dual clutch CTX but the seat is 70mm taller, it has a reasonable size screen and they reckon you can jam a helmet in the under seat space. Pity it only comes in black this year.
Choices, choices.

·
Banned
463 Posts
But it's a SCOOTER!!

Reactions: Kirstenparks

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Hello everyone-

I just joined the forum after a trip to my local Honda dealer. I currently ride a HD Sportster 883 and have previously owned a Triumph Bonneville and a couple of Viragos before that. I actually went to the Honda dealership to check out the CB1100 but found it a bit too tall for me to be comfortable in traffic with my short 30" inseam. Without me asking him, the salesman told me to wait a second outside for him and rode up on a CTX700N with DCT and told me to take it out for a half hour and let me know what I thought. I wasn't going to complain about an unsolicited test ride, so I did, and now I understand why he did that. It was great and I am seriously considering getting one next riding season.

After looking at the threads in this forum and answering some questions I have, I still have one to pose you you all-

Do you think the faired version is worth the extra cash over the naked version for someone in a cold climate like I am (Boston) if I go on an occasional 100 mile ride?

for the occasional 100 mile ride the CTX in any flavor will do. The nc700x can be lowered with inexpensive links (you are short like me at 29" inseam), The Ctx700N naked version is popular due to it's the least costly, the fairing version with bags can haul stuff for longer trips. You can get each of these in automatic and abs brakes. The 883 is a lot different bike so my question to you is, what is it not doing for you. Is it an older one (prior to 2007 that has Fuel Injection) why are you looking at another bike, power, comfort , style, gas mileage, etc?

Now for cold climate riding (not wet) heated glove and jacket and pant liners make riding on a 40-50 day a piece of cake. They cost but like anything else, take care of them and they last for many seasons. I use leather over pants and warm socks for the lowers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the replies, this is a great forum!

What draws me to the CTX is the comfort and utility of it. I'd definitely get the hard bags and it seems like the Madstad windshield is the most well liked here and I'd be up for getting that too. I'd look to make it kinda like a very mini-Goldwing F6B. The size the way it is fits me perfectly and I found it way more comfortable than my Sportster, mainly due to the lack of vibration. I have a 2011 Superlow and although it's awesome around town, the vibration makes long highway rides very uncomfortable. I am used to the wind but I would like to try something a little less breezy at 80mph even though I tend to like the naked look better.

In retrospect, my question should have been "Does the faired version really cut down on the wind significantly enough to make someone choose it over the naked?" But it does seem like I would be better off with the faired version based on what I'm looking for and what everyone has added here. Thanks again, looking forward to the changing bikes in the spring and riding the **** out of a CTX700!

·
Banned
463 Posts
The faired version works well....if you use an aftermarket windshield such as the Cee Bailey.
I don't recall anyone to date reporting on the effectiveness of a Madstad on the faired bike.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm with Vulcan on this - I have the faired version and installed my Cee Bailey a couple weeks ago. I got to ride it a couple days before I had to be out of town all of last week for work. The Cee Bailey made a huge POSITIVE difference.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
80 mph highway rides.... No wonder you are unhappy with the 883. A 1200 sportster would be geared taller and vibrate less at 80. Maybe install the 1200 kit. I had 883 R and 1200C. Big difference in power and gearing possible. In my mind the CTX can do 80 easily but if you are hoping that there is plenty of reserve above that I don't think you will find it. I could be wrong but don't thing there are many members riding at those speeds very long. If you are riding a lot at 80mph the fairing model and right windshield will make that speed far less tiring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks again for all the help!

As far as the Sportster goes, while I do like riding it short distances and like the looks, I was able to buy it from someone who couldn’t afford the payments anymore and got an almost perfect 2011 with 4000 miles on it for less than trade-in value so it was really just hard to pass up and I think I can actually come out making some money on it after riding it for a full season this year. I had thought about the 1200 conversion but I just think I may be better off with the CTX as it’s still going to be more comfortable.

And while more power would of course be more fun, I find it too tempting and I’m ok with cruising at 70-80 and maintaining a decent driving record.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts