CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the plastic off to get to the air cleaner, I'm putting things back on, and I note an open, hanging vacuum-type line attached to a clip glued to the front left of the fuel tank.

This is a smaller size tube, and appears to be led to behind and below the engine.

I really hesitate to put everything back until I have this properly connected.

·
Registered
'98 Valkyrie Touring
19 Posts
I'm guessing that is the tank vent line. The vent line doesnt connect to anything but atmosphere. It lets air into the tank as the gas is used. On the bike I'm working on, there are clips on the tank to hold that line in place, just like you describe.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding. I don't recall that line being open on both ends -- it would appear I pulled it loose from the top end.

If yours is intact, I wonder if you might go to one of the OEM fiche sites, and identify the primary item (fuel tank, for example?) and then the part numbers involved ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Look at the hose routing diagrams in the service manual at around page 1-35 on and the attached shots of the left hand side of the tank.
Air Filter
2:07 mark

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the "Super Like" button ?

In the manual 1-38 shows the left side view, and there are two -- the top one is labeled, "except 50 state model" and the bottom one says, "50 state model".

In the top one, there is a line that just terminates to the atmosphere, like mine.

In your video, it would appear to be the same, except yours still has the "sticky clips" and on mine, the clips have lost their adhesion and pulled away.

Is there a way to look up the VIN and see if one has one or the other model, at least as far as this plumbing goes ?

I'm impressed with the valve adjustments, btw.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also note both models are shown on page 7-7 - more clearly.

And while I may be blind, I just looked at the bike again, and there is open space under the tank where the evaporative emission canister would go if I had one, so I'm feeling better about that hose being open.

Thank you !

·
Registered
491 Posts
Page 7-7 is the best explanation of the vent tube. With a sealed gas cap the tank has to have a vent to let air in. I think they might have the 50 state designation switched in the manual. Every stripped bike I have seen has the open vent tube. See page 1-48, if you had the EVAP canister the vent would run into it. Page 1-4 shows the emissions control label located on the left side of the swing arm. Strange how it can pass California emissions with the open vent as part of the 50 states. Credit to Super Sneaky Steve for the video.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought about that, and just used a wire tie instead (there's enough stuff in the vicinity to do that -- doesn't hurt anything, and easily undone and refitted should the need arise).

Thank you @dgall !

Thank you @Super Sneaky Steve !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts