CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone been successful in performance enhancements on their CTX700? Specifically suspension (front & rear) and top end performance gains?

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I was getting my new rear tire I saw a beautiful straight shot into the rear shock. So I loosened the nuts on the top of the shock and ran them up a couple of turns. The rear suspension seems SLIGHTLY softer now but nowhere near the "Holy cow, that is an AMAZING difference" that others have reported.

Steve

·
Registered
106 Posts
First, for SteveDCT. I think the wow factor came for a lot of us because we tightened the rings on our rear shock, a.k.a ran them down. My mechanic ran mine down and I felt the difference, not a wow, but at least the smallest bump does not bottom out the shock and send a shock wave up my spine. As for Send It, I got a used shock from a NC700x (see many other threads) and have new front springs on order. That stuff with maybe a different weight front fluid in the front I hope to further smooth out the ride, but also get a better feeling that the bike is not so "mushy" in the turns and when stopping suddenly. I will keep you posted when both those things are done.

·
Registered
226 Posts
First, for SteveDCT. I think the wow factor came for a lot of us because we tightened the rings on our rear shock, a.k.a ran them down. ......................................
Not according to this post by JFC in 2014

I'm with Rebel on this one. My pre-load is set all the way at the top of the threaded portion of the shock. It came from the factory this way. I'm 215 lbs. and the bike rides just fine. Not too loose and not too firm. I ride 2 up as well without any difficulties. I also have a lot of weight on the back with oversized boxes as saddlebags and top box plus the brackets. Without the boxes and brackets the bike still rides well handling all but the biggest bumps without discomfort.. Compressing the spring by adjusting it downward reduces spring travel and firms the bike ride for smaller riders. This can work to the benefit for some but also be a disadvantage for others. If the bike rides just fine for you then I would suggest leaving it alone.

Steve

·
Registered
485 Posts
Gonzo mod works great for me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ohhhh. Motorcycle performance. Had my attention for...ahem...other reasons. I became optimistic when I read "gonzo mod."

Just a little humor. I need to get out in the world again.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I did change my dogbone to one that is adjustable, thus lowering the bike. Added a new kickstand to compensate and lowered the forks. I guess that is a mod.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not according to this post by JFC in 2014

I'm with Rebel on this one. My pre-load is set all the way at the top of the threaded portion of the shock. It came from the factory this way. I'm 215 lbs. and the bike rides just fine. Not too loose and not too firm. I ride 2 up as well without any difficulties. I also have a lot of weight on the back with oversized boxes as saddlebags and top box plus the brackets. Without the boxes and brackets the bike still rides well handling all but the biggest bumps without discomfort.. Compressing the spring by adjusting it downward reduces spring travel and firms the bike ride for smaller riders. This can work to the benefit for some but also be a disadvantage for others. If the bike rides just fine for you then I would suggest leaving it alone.

Steve
I only weigh 130 lbs, and the suspension is fine for me. I am not sure if it stock setting, as I purchased the bike with 3100 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Rebel 13 proved, through MANY mods on his bike that trying to get top end (or even mid range) performance gains is not worth the money you'd have to spend to get anything. This engine was never designed for performance. Want more performance? Get a different bike. As for the suspension, nobody has done more than Gonzo or Michael Moore. Michael spent a bunch of bucks on a custom built Penske shock, and completely rebuilt the forks. Search the threads on suspension to see what they did. Again, this bike wasn't built for performance. it was built to provide a relatively inexpensive commuter/light tourer for the entry level market. Honda didn't break the bank on R & D expense when they put it together. And, they certainly didn't intend for anyone to try and improve it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bahahahahahhaahah my favorite quote “they didn’t intend for anyone to try and improve it” Its an awesome bike, I wish it had a beefed up suspension it would be perfect. I don’t wanna spend $1800 or more to improve that, it’s not worth it. Thanks for all the feedback

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am aware of some performance enhancing remedies but none of them, at least to my knowledge, would work on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
2018 CTX700
1 Posts
Has anyone been successful in performance enhancements on their CTX700? Specifically suspension (front & rear) and top end performance gains?
I added an Ohlins adjustable shock and adjustable dogbone and this bike is much more comfy without bottoming out. My next upgrade will be a better seat, for 8 hour rides the stock seat is hell on the butt. I have thought a lot about performance upgrades but really touring mods have made the most sense for me

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is no need to spend $1,800 to improve the performance of the suspension.

If your main goal is getting better rear-end suspension - one of the cheaper options is a YSS Topline Rear Shock to replace the OEM rear shock. If you have basic mechanical skills the swap isn't really all that difficult. I would say the the swap was no more difficult than doing the engine valve inspection / adjustment. You can also go the Ohlins, Penske, or Wilbers Custom approach for more $$$. I got my YSS model for ~$450 with shipping and tax included. My recommendation though is to do a bit or research on suspension prior to buying anything. Know what the various levels of adjust do and how they might benefit your particular riding style and needs. For example, the OEM shock while limited to just a small degree of pre-load adjustment might be best option. The YSS Topline shock I purchased provides additional level of preload adjustment, can be adjusted in the field, and also allows rebound adjustment.

In regards to the front, I haven't adjusted anything but I have priced out new springs, and aftermarket valves. I will likely pull the trigger on rebuilding the front forks in the late fall or this upcoming winter though as the fork oil should be replaced anyways. If you are mechanically inclined you can save a $$$ doing this as a DIY project. Just really think through your needs. If your bike is older - you might benefit simply be replacing the old oil, seals, and if needed the springs. The fork oil will degrade over time causing the front to be a bit mushier than new over time.

With regards to other performance improvements - trying to eke more out of the "670cc" parallel twin is cost prohibitive. I imagine the potential to improve the "750cc" parallel twin in the newer NC750 is probably just as bad.

For myself all of my mods have been "comfort or luggage related" ... I.E. a custom seat, mini-floorboards, a better wind screen, wind deflectors for the handlebars, heated grips, the rear shock, and side panniers / top luggage racks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts