CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
$320 + s/h + (my) labor & testing = $450
Today gas $1.75/gallon. Soon maybe back at $2.50/gallon.
My fuel economy is in average 60 ml/gl
450/2.50=180 gallons x 60 ml/gl = 10,800 miles
For this sum of money I could ride 10,800 miles.
I would rather ride in sport mode all the time and have better results in performance.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do ride in sport mode all the time. Wouldn't want to use the device, not because it is expensive, because I know very little about balancing the computer. Analogue I can wrench, these computer bikes I am completely lost. However I am sure there are some who like such devices.

·
Registered
295 Posts
There is no way to affect PCM programming without hacking. And so far I have not heard that someone tried it. Anything else is just wishful thinking or simply lying.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Maybe a shorty muffler (I have a Coffman) being lighter will add a slight boost-it sounds faster, anyway.

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you do a search, discussed many times here and on other forums. Can't find anyone to willing to try it. It supposedly interfaces with ECM, changes fuel and possibly timing without need to reprogram the ECM, which very hard on the DCT. Works kind of like Dyno's Power Commander for other bikes, which actually does work on those.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you do a search, discussed many times here and on other forums. Can't find anyone to willing to try it. It supposedly interfaces with ECM, changes fuel and possibly timing without need to reprogram the ECM, which very hard on the DCT. Works kind of like Dyno's Power Commander for other bikes, which actually does work on those.
I yet I have heard others say that they have problems with the power commanders, especially used on Harley's.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Claims that increases HP by 17%, Torque 17%, mpg 6%. Wonder if this overrides the rev limiter.
In engineering school you learn that HP is increased by burning MORE fuel, MPG is increased by burning LESS fuel, you can't do both at the same time. As something that is no surprise to me whatsoever their website is full of all the favorable customer reviews but nowhere can be found where they took 10 bikes to an independent lab. The lab folks, using a highly sophisticated dyno measured a baseline, then installed and carefully tuned to get an "optimal" fuel mapping and then reran another series of performance measurements.

.......................................... because I know very little about balancing the computer. .............
Ding, Ding, Ding - CORRECT ANSWER!!! Neither do the vast majority of people who install things like this. They install it, "improve" the mapping by plugging in numbers they know little about, then race down the street and say "WOW, this thing works GREAT" when a dyno run would probably show little improvement. Then after riding around they put in two gallons of gas and claim a mileage improvement as if you can get any kind of meaningful answer from two gallons.

At least the Power Commander folks have a pretty fair number of dealers who do have those dynos and can correctly tune it for a specific bike.

As an aside, if someone is really concerned about how fast their bike goes, you buy a sport bike not a CTX.
Steve

·
Registered
9 Posts
Add to above comments, "If it's got a CPU, tires and/or boobs, yur gonna have problemos!" .... Especially, when ya stick more finite stuff on a cold/Hot, dusty, bouncy MC commandeered by a half-nuts performance driven dude always checkin max limits!
Of course, one can always exclaim, "I'm an astronaut in training..". (;))

·
Registered
718 Posts
In engineering school you learn that HP is increased by burning MORE fuel, MPG is increased by burning LESS fuel, you can't do both at the same time.
Steve
Agreed,
In physics, they taught us that putting 150 lbs on a 500 lb device and moving them 1 mile costs a specific amount of energy you need to use fuel to produce. It adds more energy to do it quickly. You must reduce friction or do less work to use less energy and fuel.

In engine
As an aside, if someone is really concerned about how fast their bike goes, you buy a sport bike not a CTX.
If someone is really concerned about getting more MPG, they should use a lighter and slower device, maybe a Vespa, not a CTX. But then it would be no faster or sportier than a CTX re-tuned for better mileage. Just like your sports bike will get no better MPG than a CTX re-tuned for better performance.

NOW, If I go on a diet so there's less of me to move ... Naaahh, I enjoy food too much for that.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve
Been there, done that, not much fun. My Harley was adjusted to do a Level one hurricane head wind. Not saying how fast it went, not that I went that fast. Just not that much fun holding on for dear life as they say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts