CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really nothing more to it than what the title says. But to give more info and riding situations, maybe I can be led to some pegs or boards (even potentially crash bars with pegs) that will cater more for me!
My CTX700 is not altered in any major ways such as handlebars and pegs (all stock/OEM). The OEM pegs i feel like are a little too forward and cause some awkward strains to my calves and legs all around, causing me to shift my body awkwardly when riding for more than 1 hour, especially the roads I ride in can be somewhat bumpy. Is this because of my short stature of 5'7? I heard that the problem is mostly the seat height and handlebar placement, but id rather mess with the pegs first... So maybe some mid pegs to give a standard position would ease my rider's fatigue?

05% Offroad (not quite often i do this)
35% City (low-speed curves here and there)
45% Highway (somewhat bumpy roads)
15% Interstate (smooth ride :cool: but with strainful legs :((

I'm not going to lie, I'm super out of shape and stiff on my body and have gained a bit of weight resulting in a chunky figure. Could this also factor in the strains I feel? I know it's not a topic that's popular to be talked about, but I seriously feel like it can be a major factor for a rider's comfort.

I can give some more information if needed. Thanks a lot, guys and ride safely as always!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had my 2015 CTX for a few years now and at 5'5", I would not be able to have stayed with it without the addition of the Kuryakyn (sp?) floorboards with the 2" offset knuckles. Easy install and highly recommended! I can actually flat foot at stop with this set up.
Further, there were two seats used on the CTX over the four years of production and the major difference is that the early seats had the rider seated further back than the later version. I'm not certain but I think the forward seats came with the 2015-18 and the 2014 gave you more room so you might want to change seats, too. I've installed a Corbin and together with an AirHawk cushion, can now go all-day with no issues.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've had my 2015 CTX for a few years now and at 5'5", I would not be able to have stayed with it without the addition of the Kuryakyn (sp?) floorboards with the 2" offset knuckles. Easy install and highly recommended! I can actually flat foot at stop with this set up.
Further, there were two seats used on the CTX over the four years of production and the major difference is that the early seats had the rider seated further back than the later version. I'm not certain but I think the forward seats came with the 2015-18 and the 2014 gave you more room so you might want to change seats, too. I've installed a Corbin and together with an AirHawk cushion, can now go all-day with no issues.
Hey, thanks for the reply! And yes you are correct about the seats, at least according to some discussion threads I've checked out here. i have the 2014 manual transmission ctx700. My budget doesn't have any accommodation for a seat change to my CTX :/ Maybe soon.

So I was checking out Revzilla to find the Kuryakyn floorboards, but I'm not knowledgeable about what parts need to go with the floorboards... I found these: Kuryakyn Ribbed Folding Floorboards along with these Splined Adapter Male Foot Peg Mounts For Harley but can be universally fitted. I couldn't really find the off-set knuckles you were talking about except these and these, which I think are the ones you may have been relating to?

I'm somewhat of a new rider, and it frustrates how foreign parts are to me, especially with simple applications like footpegs and floorboards :( please be patient with me if I disregard simple matters that I may overlook, or am unknowledgeable.

Ride safe!

-Tiger

·
Registered
15 Posts
For a zero dollar solution, I took the footpegs off my 1979 Honda CX500D that's sitting in my garage needing repaired and put them on the CTX700D just to try them out after reading this link:

I like that I didn't have to drill or tap holes to try it out and could stick with the original bolts from the CTX. I swapped the brackets with their original pegs so now it is left bracket/right peg and right bracket/left peg to give each peg a forward angled surface where your toes would be lower than your heel. Felt like that was the way to go to get some forward clearance with the stock muffler.

You can find these pegs on ebay used for around $40-$50 including shipping and the rubber can be replaced. I think they will be good for high speed interstate travel leaning forward closer to the tank (I just have the shorty OEM windscreen for now), but I would also like to try the floorboards already mentioned by marklehnert with a taller windscreen later. Thanks.

IMG_20210430_223349550[1].jpg

IMG_20210430_223358074[1].jpg

IMG_20210430_223411402[1].jpg

IMG_20210430_223449333[1].jpg

IMG_20210430_223459580[1].jpg

·
Registered
906 Posts
Five-foot-seven rider here.

Switching from the stock pegs to the full-sized Kuryakyn floorboards made a huge difference in riding comfort to me. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Five-foot-seven rider here.

Switching from the stock pegs to the full-sized Kuryakyn floorboards made a huge difference in riding comfort to me. Highly recommended.
If you don’t mind me asking, what model/part number floorboards did you get? Did you need to get additional hardware to mount the boards such as the ones I linked in my OP? Thanks a lot for your replay and ride safe.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It's not your height, it's your inseam. Both my wife and I are 5' 10", but I have a 29" inseam and she has a 34" inseam. We both have the Kuryakyn floor boards and they are way more comfortable than the pegs when riding. With the pegs, I had to hold my right foot at an unnatural angle to keep it on the peg and able to get to the brake. You can adjust the floorboards to make the tilt of your foot more comfortable.

These are what I installed from Amazon:

Kuryakyn 8863 Splined Male Mount Peg Adapters for Front Footpegs and Floorboards: 1996-2018 Honda Motorcycles, Gloss Black, 1 Pair
Kuryakyn 4357 Motorcycle Foot Control Component: Ribbed Folding Boards for Driver or Passenger Floorboards, Wrinkle Black, 1 Pair

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not your height, it's your inseam. Both my wife and I are 5' 10", but I have a 29" inseam and she has a 34" inseam. We both have the Kuryakyn floor boards and they are way more comfortable than the pegs when riding. With the pegs, I had to hold my right foot at an unnatural angle to keep it on the peg and able to get to the brake. You can adjust the floorboards to make the tilt of your foot more comfortable.

These are what I installed from Amazon:

Kuryakyn 8863 Splined Male Mount Peg Adapters for Front Footpegs and Floorboards: 1996-2018 Honda Motorcycles, Gloss Black, 1 Pair
Kuryakyn 4357 Motorcycle Foot Control Component: Ribbed Folding Boards for Driver or Passenger Floorboards, Wrinkle Black, 1 Pair
Hey man that’s some interesting stuff you linked there. And yes I too have to awkwardly position my right foot! It gets very uncomfortable.. just came back from a moto road a while ago and man those pegs just kill me bro. I’ll definitely check out the ones you linked out for me. I seriously appreciate the help.

Also, I noticed that the Splined Male Mount Peg Adapters say “This does not fit your 2014 Honda CTX700”, should I ignore this or do I need to accommodate some other mod to have the adapter fit in order to fit the floorboard?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey man that’s some interesting stuff you linked there. And yes I too have to awkwardly position my right foot! It gets very uncomfortable.. just came back from a moto road a while ago and man those pegs just kill me bro. I’ll definitely check out the ones you linked out for me. I seriously appreciate the help.

Also, I noticed that the Splined Male Mount Peg Adapters say “This does not fit your 2014 Honda CTX700”, should I ignore this or do I need to accommodate some other mod to have the adapter fit in order to fit the floorboard?
Yeah, the web page says it doesn't fit my 2018 CTX700N, too. I don't recall if it said that when I bought them last year. The Kuryakyn site doesn't list the CTX700 at all for those adapters. I don't know what model bike you have, but you might search this site for the 8863 or 8815 and see if someone has fitted either for your model and year bike. I'm sure I took my guidance on these parts from the folks here. I would bet dollars to donuts these would work for your bike.

·
Registered
906 Posts
If you don’t mind me asking, what model/part number floorboards did you get? Did you need to get additional hardware to mount the boards such as the ones I linked in my OP? Thanks a lot for your replay and ride safe.
@Tigerman, check out this thread in the How-To subforum.

Reactions: Tigerman

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Don't forget the brake is by the forward pedal. Putting in a mid peg and having to move from mid to forward to brake slows reaction time in a serious situation. The Kuryakin floor boards if adjusted properly are still safer. The floorboards are easy to install. The pegs are bolt ons, so remove the bolt. You have to order the correct spline for the CTX to match the floorboards and the installation is simply a bolt on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Tigerman, check out this thread in the How-To subforum.

Don't forget the brake is by the forward pedal. Putting in a mid peg and having to move from mid to forward to brake slows reaction time in a serious situation. The Kuryakin floor boards if adjusted properly are still safer. The floorboards are easy to install. The pegs are bolt ons, so remove the bolt. You have to order the correct spline for the CTX to match the floorboards and the installation is simply a bolt on.
The mid peg idea seems pretty neat, especially for interstate riding? Just to give the feet a break...
Athena you have a point in your precautionary statement. I would indeed need to be careful and mindful if I were to go forward with the mid-peg mod. If I were to install this mod, I definitely would refrain from using it in the city and shoot, maybe even highway for prolonged periods- or at least to give my legs a few seconds "break" from the awkward positioning... thanks for the information regarding ordering the correct spline! goodideaDave suggested to me some neat floorboards and splines as well as everyone else, including Woodswoman, recommending Kurys.

Well, i think i made my mind and will soon get me some kury floorboards! thanks for the suggestions and ideas.

·
Registered
317 Posts
We have a 2015 "D" model that my wife rides, after I bought a Corbin low seat for my "N" model, I put the air cushion on her bike. The air cushion pushes me so far forward that I have to make an effort to get my feet on the floorboards after takeoff. The cushion I'm referring to is one we purchased from Amazon about 4 years ago, it's not a name brand product but we have not had any problems with it, it is holding air from the first time we used it. I hope you find something helpful.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just don't see the mid-pegs being a long term solution in their current form:
  1. Toe drag during slow speed turns (sometimes)
  2. Less comfortable at stops having to spread out my legs to clear the mid pegs
  3. Exhaust pipe heat shield removal = greater chance for leg burns (don't want to go with any aftermarket exhaust yet)
  4. Brake pedal is farther away
If there was a way to do the mid-peg but fold it out of the way when not in use... that would be much better for me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The mid peg idea seems pretty neat, especially for interstate riding? Just to give the feet a break...
Athena you have a point in your precautionary statement. I would indeed need to be careful and mindful if I were to go forward with the mid-peg mod. If I were to install this mod, I definitely would refrain from using it in the city and shoot, maybe even highway for prolonged periods- or at least to give my legs a few seconds "break" from the awkward positioning... thanks for the information regarding ordering the correct spline! goodideaDave suggested to me some neat floorboards and splines as well as everyone else, including Woodswoman, recommending Kurys.

Well, i think i made my mind and will soon get me some kury floorboards! thanks for the suggestions and ideas.
I have installed both the mid-pegs and the Kury floorboards and I love them both. The mid-pegs add so much more comfort and flexibility especially on a longer ride. Your instincts tell you when to switch to the floorboards for a potential abs breaking situation. I do lot of long rides and I have found the mid-pegs a tremendous addition and easy install.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I too have a 2014 N model. The codes given by GoodIdeaDave are the same for the items that I bought and they fit my bike. There are a variety of threads on this subject and they can be quite helpful.

From my experience, I found it useful to take pictures of the old pegs as I took them off, but it is really a fairly simple process.
Straighten out the ends of the cotter pin, remove the cotter pin then tap out the securing bolt. Once bolt is removed, gently pull the peg out of the securing bracket, noting the position of the spring. Notice that one end of the peg is more open and one is more closed: this will be helpful in determining the orientation of the splined adapter to install. The springs are held fairly loosely, and if you insert a screw driver into the hole from underneath, you can position the bolt for reinsertion. It is not as straight forward as some may think, at least for me. I had to giggle and reposition the spring a bit to get the bolt in. I found a small Allen wrench, and by trying to swing the adapter a bit, I was able to get the Allen wrench into the gap and raised it up, allowing me to get the pin to go through. I ended up redoing that a few time for a variety of reasons. One problem I had was that with the spring in (same orientation as before, with the shorter end / 90 degree bend portion at the top, pointing down) and with the floorboard secured, for some reason it would not tilt in towards, the bike, so I took it out...

As the bike will be subject to vibration and bumps, when I secured the floorboards, I coated the end of the bolt with some medium (blue) loctite to keep it from vibrating loose.

I am 5'9 with 30" inseam and already noted a difference in the riding position (sitting on teh bike on the centre stand...) and was able to stand up which is almost impossible on the pegs.

As others have noted, I used the top, most forward position. Getting my toe under the shifter is very tight, and I plan on adjusting the gear shifter mechanism using the final splined connection and not the locked connecting rod (one adjustment with 1 bolt, vs, 2 with 2 lock nuts and a rod to adjust). Great position for the break. I set mine one notch below level and it seems to have a good fit. Will know better once I adjust the shift lever and take it for a spin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts