CTX 700 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
I wouldn't recommend installing a shorty exhaust if you plan to carry a passenger. The problem with this setup is that exhaust fumes tend to rise up into the passenger area when stopped and the right rear peg will receive the full brunt of exhaust heat and fumes when riding at speed. The passenger will also receive the full brunt of loud noise emanating from the pipe at levels in the 119 db range. This makes for a miserable ride and not one conducive to keeping your passenger on the bike for long.
That's exaggerated!

At a stop you get some fumes and some heat. The majority of it is blown away. For short periods of a traffic stop is no real concern unless your sitting for excessive times and that is never recommended anyway. At speed you won't feel the heat or fumes, it is blown completely away, the exhaust isn't that short of the passenger. As for noise, you would be lucky to hit 110db at wide open throttle with a shorty. At highway cruise you are at about 100db and that is from wind noise.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
That's exaggerated!

At a stop you get some fumes and some heat. The majority of it is blown away. For short periods of a traffic stop is no real concern unless your sitting for excessive times and that is never recommended anyway. At speed you won't feel the heat or fumes, it is blown completely away, the exhaust isn't that short of the passenger. As for noise, you would be lucky to hit 110db at wide open throttle with a shorty. At highway cruise you are at about 100db and that is from wind noise.
Are you speaking from actual experience or are just making an assumption since you don't have either a Radiant or Coffman installed on your bike and you don't ride with a passenger. I have three CTX's in the family including an N version with a Radiant. At 4000 - 4400 rpm, the radiant averages 119 db. with the meter sitting on the passenger seat. This is the average rpm range for the CTX travelling at 72 - 76 mph. I also ride with a passenger fairly often but not on this bike because frankly, none of my passengers want to ride on it due to the issues I previously noted. Both the Radiant and Coffman end just under the rear passenger peg. The Raiant is actually worse since its slightly shorter. The passengers right foot and leg are exposed to exhaust heat and fumes rising up from the exhaust. After a 2 hour ride, you can actually smell a strong odor of exhaust on my passengers pants, boots and jacket. All complain about the noise since its more pronounced since they sit behind the exhaust. For reference, here is a photo of Treygiddens bike :

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
Are you speaking from actual experience or are just making an assumption since you don't have either a Radiant or Coffman installed on your bike and you don't ride with a passenger. I have three CTX's in the family including an N version with a Radiant. At 4000 - 4400 rpm, the radiant averages 119 db. with the meter sitting on the passenger seat. This is the average rpm range for the CTX travelling at 72 - 76 mph. I also ride with a passenger fairly often but not on this bike because frankly, none of my passengers want to ride on it due to the issues I previously noted. Both the Radiant and Coffman end just under the rear passenger peg. The Raiant is actually worse since its slightly shorter. The passengers right foot and leg are exposed to exhaust heat and fumes rising up from the exhaust. After a 2 hour ride, you can actually smell a strong odor of exhaust on my passengers pants, boots and jacket. All complain about the noise since its more pronounced since they sit behind the exhaust. For reference, here is a photo of Treygiddens bike :
Considering a mufflerless CTX can only max out 112 db tested myself, I believe I would know. Everyone that has comparied mufflerless to a radiant or coffman have said that the tip was quiter than without one for backing to what I say. Those two tips have properties to reduce sound some over an open pipe. If you add a slip on, the noise reduces unless it is an unbaffled megaphone, a like acting larger tip or an open can.

Of course clothes will smell, any fumes that escape will catch hold. I even get it while driver on most bikes. As for heat at idle, the CTX actualy has a fairly cool exhaust to begin with and any to come in contact on pegs is minute, at speed there is zero. As for a rider complaining, that is subjective.

As for wind noise you can read this:
How wind noise dB noise levels can hurt your hearing....

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Considering a mufflerless CTX can only max out 112 db tested myself, I believe I would know. Everyone that has comparied mufflerless to a radiant or coffman have said that the tip was quiter than without one for backing to what I say. Those two tips have properties to reduce sound some over an open pipe. If you add a slip on, the noise reduces unless it is an unbaffled megaphone, a like acting larger tip or an open can.

Of course clothes will smell, any fumes that escape will catch hold. I even get it while driver on most bikes. As for heat at idle, the CTX actualy has a fairly cool exhaust to begin with and any to come in contact on pegs is minute, at speed there is zero. As for a rider complaining, that is subjective.

As for wind noise you can read this:
How wind noise dB noise levels can hurt your hearing....
Your own published test scores indicates a max. 120.3 db at a distance of 10' + at redline. Your early video you posted on Sally's non mufflered exhaust shows a db level well beyond 112 db. Try that sitting directly on top of the muffler. There's a big variance in db the farther away you test. Both the Coffman and Radiant have little effect on how loud the bike is but only change the tone since they are both basically straight through tips. Here's an excellent link to permissible noise levels and how long exposure rates till hearing loss: Dangerous Decibels » How Loud is Too Loud?

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
Your own published test scores indicates a max. 120.3 db at a distance of 10' + at redline. Your early video you posted on Sally's non mufflered exhaust shows a db level well beyond 112 db. Try that sitting directly on top of the muffler. There's a big variance in db the farther away you test. Both the Coffman and Radiant have little effect on how loud the bike is but only change the tone since they are both basically straight through tips. Here's an excellent link to permissible noise levels and how long exposure rates till hearing loss: Dangerous Decibels » How Loud is Too Loud?
Wrong, wrong and wrong!

Coffman and Radiant does change the sound volume some besides the note.

My test was at about 4 feet just offset from exit. Rider being slightly farther way and even farther offset would be less volume, not more!

My test had an absolute peak at a higher volume of 116, but actual averages are 112 peak, the varience is noted. Proven recordings: http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/exhaust/25441-sleek-exhaust.html

My current set up is not a mufflerless one. It is far different and a much louder one.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Wrong, wrong and wrong!

Coffman and Radiant does change the sound volume some besides the note.

My test was at about 4 feet just offset from exit. Rider being slightly farther way and even farther offset would be less volume, not more!

My test had an absolute peak at a higher volume of 116, but actual averages are 112 peak, the varience is noted. Proven recordings: http://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/exhaust/25441-sleek-exhaust.html

My current set up is not a mufflerless one. It is far different and a much louder one.
Is this not your chart?

Sleek Exhaust Results

You know your not the only one here with a db meter and you certainly have no actual experience with the Radiant muffler installed on a CTX let alone tested it. I gave my advice from actual riding experience with the Radiant and a passenger and I quoted my own noise level findings from my own tests results.

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
Is this not your chart?

Sleek Exhaust Results

You know your not the only one here with a db meter and you certainly have no actual experience with the Radiant muffler installed on a CTX let alone tested it. I gave my advice from actual riding experience with the Radiant and a passenger and I quoted my own noise level findings from my own tests results.
You bet it is my chart! If you read the chart and threads assosiated with it you will know sleek exhaust is the only relevant section for this subject. As mentioned before, there are a few decibel differences from absolute to average. Absolutes are on the chart. Average is general use. When I take all my tests they are done in threes minimum for certainty. I provided The video so you can see for yourself what really happens. It wasn't The only video I made and purposley posted the one without the afterfires so you can see what generally happens. The higher extra db's are from afterfires that only happen randomly on decel.

My experience with exhausts is vast long before the CTX came around! I provide proof with many things that I do.

All I see is he said, she said from you. No verifiable proof anywhere. Besides, you have a stock exhaust! There is nothing left to say about this.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Since I have three CTX's in the immediate family including one with a Radiant and that's what we are talking about, maybe we should stick to the subject matter at hand. I say don't do it based on my experiences with the CTX. I don't know what your saying based on your vast experience not having a Radiant installed or riding with a passenger since you admittedly don't but that's okay.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey,Gonzo,thanks for the info,did you use the floorboards with the adapter in the same position as the footpegs,i.e.,without any extenders/adjusters,such as mentioned by Nick13,in a previous post?
Thanks,Graham.
Hi Graham. Yes, I used the mini floorboards with their adapters in place of the rear pegs. The mini boards have 3 positions you can mount the adapters, as well as the spline adjustment.

I don't have any of the extenders so I didn't try them. They look like they would be useful.

Gonzo

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
@jfc77320

You will say anything to keep from admitting when you're wrong! Your claims have no warrant! Especially since I proved achieving your posted high numbers are not even possible! For the noise to be louder if it so does as you so claim, then that only leaves wind as the result for the higher numbers. As they say in Missouri, Show Me!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Here's your own video. Whats that? 119db just revving the engine up. Doesn't sound like any cracking or popping to me when you reached it. So it is possible fairly easily.
. Whether its 112 or 120 db., its still loud and uncomfortable for a passenger on the back for any length of time and all of these are harmful to ones hearing even with a helmet.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Whether its 112 or 120 db., its still loud and uncomfortable for a passenger on the back for any length of time and all of these are harmful to ones hearing even with a helmet.
I have extensive experience with both, Coffman and Radiant. I can tell you for sure Radiant is louder, and at high RPM speed it becomes a bit too high pitch for my liking... Coffman is less noisy. Less of a high pitch, on high RPM more tolerable. It's loudness is about 70% of the Radiant's. I use Coffman right now, so far it's OK. But I'll be installing Radiant soon, just for the kick of it! :p Love variety...

·
Premium Member
6,250 Posts
Here's your own video. Whats that? 119db just revving the engine up. Doesn't sound like any cracking or popping to me when you reached it. So it is possible fairly easily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ScLVXO_ko&feature=player_embedded. Whether its 112 or 120 db., its still loud and uncomfortable for a passenger on the back for any length of time and all of these are harmful to ones hearing even with a helmet.
Again that is 3.0, it doesn't relate, only sleek exhaust the original one does. This one has a glasspack in place of the cat. In fact if I recall without looking it up that I pegged it at 124 once with this set up, but consistantly pulled 120's so I marked it with a 120.

Loud or not is subjective to the individual. Some passengers do like loud pipes. I love my set up on or off the bike for hours on end. Compared to the wind, it isn't loud at all. Music to my ears as I ride!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi Graham. Yes, I used the mini floorboards with their adapters in place of the rear pegs. The mini boards have 3 positions you can mount the adapters, as well as the spline adjustment.

I don't have any of the extenders so I didn't try them. They look like they would be useful.

Gonzo
Thanks,Gonzo,i've made myself dizzy looking at photos of adapters,splines & footrest locations on the CTX,
But at this stage i can't really see how without a spacer of between 3" & 4",to bring the adapter out,the swivel can clear the exhaust(i'm a bit twitchy about mentioning the exhaust>:))
Cheers,Graham.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Hi,JFC 77320,you mention in 1 of your replies that your passengers,don't like riding on the CTX,is that because of the peg placement?,or is it something else i have to start worrying about:)
Cheers,Graham.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Hi,JFC 77320,you mention in 1 of your replies that your passengers,don't like riding on the CTX,is that because of the peg placement?,or is it something else i have to start worrying about:)
Cheers,Graham.
No, quite the contrary. My faired version with saddlebags and rear box is fairly comfortable for passengers up to 5'6 in height. I've done 300 - 400 mile rides with a passenger without any problems. The only issue I experienced with a taller passenger (5'8) had to do with the peg placement on long rides. With her longer legs, she tended to sit more on her tailbone. Adding additional, firmer padding helped and a custom dual seat would have cured the problem all together.

The bike I referenced in the early post that none of my passengers want to ride is a naked model with a Radiant exhaust tip installed. The tip ends just under with the rear passenger peg. Exhaust heat and fumes tend to rise up when stopped and felt heat gets fairly severe when riding at hwy. speeds. All complain about how bad their clothes smell.when ever they go on anything more than a short hop. Its also very loud since the pipe ends just under them. Reinstalling the OEM muffler would cure the problem but its owner prefers the Radiant's sound and no ones crazy enough to ride double with him anyways.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts