CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 honda CTX 700, 2002 CBR 954, 2012 Can Am spyder RT Limited
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When people park their bikes, do you park with it in gear or neutral. I have always parked mine in "N" unless I'm on a hill. I do this since all my other bikes in the past are carbed and needed to warm up first. I would start the bike and let it warm up while I put my gear on. Now that I have a fuel injected bike (and not one I want to fall over) and don't need the warm up process, wondering if it would be better in gear in case some yahoo decides to lean against it or something. Just curious what most people do?
Jim.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The recommendation is to switch to neutral before shutting the engine off. I just leave it there. If there’s any incline I use the parking brake. I also wonder if it’s in gear, given a DCT, does it stop the bike from rolling?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
When I had a manual transmission bike, I would leave it in gear....after leaving it in neutral once, on an incline and having it roll and fall over.

I now have the DCT. It offers no resistance to rolling, whether in gear or neutral. That's why they provide the parking brake. If you turn the key off while in gear, it will reset to neutral when you turn the key back on. But, since this a sophisticated computerized vehicle, it is good practice to do an orderly bike shutdown. (like you do with your computer. You don't yank the plug out of the wall to shut it off.) Go to neutral, set the parking brake, then turn the key off. This will give the electronics the chance to shut down and reset properly...says the owners manual.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The recommendation is to switch to neutral before shutting the engine off. I just leave it there. If there’s any incline I use the parking brake. I also wonder if it’s in gear, given a DCT, does it stop the bike from rolling?
This is why you can’t bump start the DCT. Until the engine is running providing oil pressure to the solenoids over idle speed to engage the clutches, the engine is not connected to the rear wheel through the clutches and will roll in gear.
Honda’s Dual Clutch Transmission | Rider Magazine

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
DCT goes into neutral when turned off. That's why there is a parking brake.
I believe that a DCT, upon shut off, does not shift to neutral until the ignition is on again. As Honda says; switch to neutral before engine shut off and use the parking brake. If left in a drive mode, upon turning the key on, the transmission will immediately search for and shift into neutral without the benefit of oil pressure. (if I am correct)
(With a manual transmission, leaving it in first gear is often the wise thing to do.imho)

·
Registered
2014 CTX 700 DCT
47 Posts
In my "Gearing Up" safety course we were taught to always park our bikes (manual transmission) in gear to prevent them rolling away. With my Majesty & then my CTX DCT I normally will not start them imtil I was sitting on them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
99% of the time I set the CTX in N before shutting it off however when I did not it still rolled easily when backing up my bike to park so I assume it went into N.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts