CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here,
Owner of a 1996 Honda ST1100 considering a 2014 CTX700 for my next bike.
Questions:
1. Can anyone point me to a summary of Honda CTX models over the years (including sub-models and specs)?
I see people talking about "CTX1300" but Honda only has the 700cc size on their current Website (https://powersports.honda.com/street/touring).
2. I am used to having a center stand on road bikes. HOW can you do drive chain cleaning & lubrication without a center stand?
e.g. It is impossible to rotate the rear wheel with a side stand.
Tim

·
Registered
383 Posts
Welcome. Honda Pro Kevin has lots of info for research. I believe although not officially stated by Honda, the CTX line has been discontinued but they still advertise them to sell existing left over stock. I don’t think you will find a 2019 or 2020 CTX. Possibly all of the 1300’s have been sold and removed from the site. You can install a center stand as an accessory on the CTX. You can prop up the opposite side of the swing arm with a jack as in the video. I used to carry a piece of pvc pipe in my saddle bag of my KLR 650 and wedge it under the swing arm to spin the tire. It’s as light as a feather and costs nothing.
https://www.hondaprokevin.com/?s=ctx

·
Registered
54 Posts
An easy and inexpensive way to lift the rear wheel off the ground is a "packjack". Google it to get some info. I have a CTX700 with a center stand but find it difficult to get it up on the stand with the bike loaded (I'm old!). The packjack is easily used on most any bike and takes virtually no space to store in your saddle bag. Works for me.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I don't think Honda has yet come to the conclusion of discontinuing the CTX line, since they will usually officially announce it. Sales are still moving. If some version doesn't show for 2021, then after three years I think we can assume it is dead. However with this virus panic, everything has changed for the future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1. Can anyone point me to a summary of Honda CTX models over the years (including sub-models and specs)?
I see people talking about "CTX1300" but Honda only has the 700cc size on their current Website (https://powersports.honda.com/street/touring).
2. I am used to having a center stand on road bikes. HOW can you do drive chain cleaning & lubrication without a center stand?
Tim[/QUOTE]

I believe the CTX 700 was 2014 to 2018. Quite a bit of new old stock remains.
There is a fairing version and a naked version.
Both versions were available with a 6 speed standard and later the option of a DCT (automatic).
Hardshell side cases are factory and aftermarket available.

Whoops. As 350-Four points out below, there was an ABS option only on the automatic DCT.

There was also the CTX1300, but it isn't really closely related to the 700.

As others have said, both Honda and aftermarket centerstands are available. At 500ish lbs with a LOW center of gravity, the bike is light enough to maneuver around until you get one or get some sort of a cycle stand/jack. Yes, with care, you can likely rotate the wheel on the sidestand.

Going from a ST1100 to the CTX700 you will find...
1. An even more nimble, lightweight, low center of gravity bike.
2. A bike just as problem free as yours.
3. Quite the downgrade in power. The parallel twin 700 is a basic, reliable, no frills powerplant.
4. Suspension (especially rear) that leaves quite a bit to be desired.
5. The stock seat only seems to work for about half the people out there. Figure $$ for a Corbin or other.

Service (when needed) is a bit more difficult on the fairing version than the naked version.
The fairing version has a SHORT windshield that is fairly effective. Tall factory and present aftermarket windshields don't seem to work if you are above 5'10" (head buffeting). The discontinued Cee Bailey windshields were the gold standard for this bike.

The CTX700 versions are drawing a bunch of folks in the 45-60 y/o group returning to riding after a long hiatus or heavy bike users (Harleys and Goldwings) wanting to move to a lighter/easier bike. While originally intended as a starter bike for 20-somethings, this market never really developed.

The CTX is solid but basic out of the box and just begs for accessories and upgrades.
Sidebags and trunks.
Windshields.
Seat upgrades.
Footpeg to footboard conversions.
Rear suspension change.
GPS/USB/Bluetooth device additions.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
For chain maintenance, the worst case is, you have to push the bike around to perform chain maintenance. I used to lift my bike up by the frame with a cherry picker to rotate the wheel. I recently got a center stand from Webike Japan, and it's the bee knees as they say for picking up the rear wheel off the ground. The first post in this thread has what you need (stand and stopper) https://www.ctx700forum.com/forum/how-forum/3209-center-stand-ctx700.html

·
Registered
965 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. I rarely ride poor weather so I rarely lube chain. No issues on either of my bikes. If you are that concerned there are options such as center stand, jack pack which uses side stand, or even just move the bike a few feet then lube each time. If really, really concerned, you can attach an auto lube device.

·
Registered
414 Posts
In the U.S., the DCT models include ABS, not offered w/manual shift. You would notice a Huge difference between the relatively top heavy ST1100 & CTX700. I find mine to be capable of doing any kind of riding I envision.
Honda is historically a leader in attempting to bring new riders on board. Perhaps a new DCT model to offer alongside the size of the manual bikes used in the various basic rider courses would be successful over time. Of course, a good economy for all, along with a savvy marketing approach would be helpful.;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
In the U.S., the DCT models include ABS, not offered w/manual shift. You would notice a Huge difference between the relatively top heavy ST1100 & CTX700. I find mine to be capable of doing any kind of riding I envision.
Honda is historically a leader in attempting to bring new riders on board. Perhaps a new DCT model to offer alongside the size of the manual bikes used in the various basic rider courses would be successful over time. Of course, a good economy for all, along with a savvy marketing approach would be helpful.;)
Actually if they would use the dcts in training, they would have more riders looking into motorcycles. However they would need a lighter bike and creating a dct rebel may not be cost effective.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Newbie here,
Owner of a 1996 Honda ST1100 considering a 2014 CTX700 for my next bike.
Questions:
Tim
Welcome to the forum.....I have a 2017 CTX DCT and I wouldn't part with it. I installed a Tutoro chain oiler on mine and that way I don't have any chain maintenance. and I installed a center stand CTX 700 (Model NC700s) Part#08m70-MGS-J10 from Webike in Japan.....all of this was recommended to me from the guys on this forum...made my life easier....hope you find the right bike for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!
Still a newbie here ... Can you/anyone let me know which version pack jack (Axle or Spool) would be suitable for the CTX700 DCT (2015-if that makes a difference).
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hi!
Still a newbie here ... Can you/anyone let me know which version pack jack (Axle or Spool) would be suitable for the CTX700 DCT (2015-if that makes a difference).
Thanks in advance!
Unless you add the spools on yourself (T-Rex Racing is the only source I know of) then you will not have spools on the bike to use.

·
Registered
965 Posts
One warning on Pack Jack... don't try to use in garage if concrete. Generally garage floors are "polished" unlike sidewalks which are (broomed/rough finish) and the stand has little to no grip. It might be able to place a rubber pad under it, but be careful. works best on asphalt.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
Here in the US, I got mine in Aug '13, its called a '14 year model.

I raised (links) by one inch. Its now easy to get on the center stand.
Added a pad to the side stand due to height increase.

Less power, tho adequate, than the ST1100. Weight is low so you won't be breaking the mirror on drops like a friend has done three times with his ST1100.

Adding large foot pedals allow you to move your feet around and it feels like they are under you.

The handling is very good for a 'cruiser' style motorcycle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts