CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Each to the own opinion. I have the N model and get complements daily. I also like the way the fairing models looks. At one point in my life I thought the Honda Valkyrie was a ugly bike and 2 years later bought one and road for 11 years.

David

·
Registered
129 Posts
Someplace I stumbled upon a Honda site which said the overall design of the faired CTX700 emphasizes horizontal lines, and I think they succeeded. The bike seems so well proportioned and damned good looking. The only issue I have with our faired bike is when it's viewed from the front: the concave curves in the nose piece should be convex, reiterating the curves of the panel it's covering; and, that death's head/Transformers/Hello Kitty's evil twin headlight is an abomination. The combination of the nose piece and headlight seem to say "you meet the nicest people on a Honda, except this model." I'm also not wild about wavy gravy brake disks, but they're hardly noticeable.

Not that I'm opinionated or anything.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
That list should have been all Harleys... I can proudly state I have two of the five on the list! The Victory is not to my taste, but the Street Glide that has been cosmetically unchanged FOREVER is one of the ugliest bikes on the road, IMHO of course.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
One of the reasons I got the C was because it DID NOT looked like a “classic” cruiser wanna be.

The problem is that it does look cheap, with all that plastic.

The KAWA is by far the best looking one. Whoever things a riverboat on wheels (Victory) looks good must own a train for a car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nobody should be interested in what others think of their bike. Honestly if I find anyone in my hometown that ends up with an insecurity issue such as this I'll be happy to feed into their paranoia in hopes they'll put their silly, ugly CTX up for a quick sale 😁

·
Registered
94 Posts
I get a lot of positive comments on my naked version. If anything, I think the tail end is a bit.....blah. It's not ugly but it's not inspired either. It's like the designers put in a ton of work up front then took the day off designing the back. I also hate the cartoonish exhaust can and swapped it for a shorty tip. Now the bike looks and sounds better.

I think the details like the rims and the nifty brake discs make the bike punch above it's weight for looks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It did take me a while to get used to the George Jetson look of the wrap around front fairing but now I don't think of it any more.I don't think it's ugly just kind of space streamlined....

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
The looks definitely did not attract me to the CTX. To this day, it's not a pretty, much less sexy bike to me. I never liked the front view with the wonky headlight shape. But it is an beautiful example of practicality. Realitively low cost, low maintenance, cheap to operate and insure (if you shop around), capable of keeping up with sporty(ish) bikes in the twisties or rolling 80 mph for 500 mile days on the interstate. Carries a load (my 220 pound azz with appx 25 pounds of ATGATT and my 45 pound camping kit, plus 2-36 liter side bags and a 50 liter top box) without complaining. It is a great machine to use as an introduction to biking and I've put over 30K on mine so far.

I do find my eyes wandering while at the dealerships though. Not for more power, looks, or sexiness, but for features. I want cruise, throttle by wire, maybe a few ride modes, abs, and shaft drive. Something like a 2/3 size Goldwing or a reliable, cheap to maintain R1200RT would be great. Unfortunately, the manufacturers seem to think only large, heavy bikes need these features. I might as well hope for Unicorn twins. I guess I'll keep looking and riding the CTX until a nice factory farkled mid weight touring bike comes along.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I wish it was shaft drive too..so much cleaner. After living with my Magna's 88 mile fuel consumption getting around 200 miles to the tankful is really nice. My best mods have been Kuryakyn floorboards and a Vista cruiser throttle lock.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The looks of the CTX isn't what initially attracted me to the bike, and I did find it awkward looking. Then I rode it and suddenly all the different but quirky appearances began to look better. Sort of like the way a high school boy thinks a girl isn't pretty, then realizes a year later that she really is, but he was too blinded by convention to recognize it.

I asked this girl to the dance and never looked back.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts