CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent a lot of time researching and test riding bikes with automatic transmission options - including the CTX700ND. I documented my impressions and made links to relevant video reviews and text-based info. I made this file over a period of years so it's almost certainly more than you want to read. Perhaps you will find something of interest there however (link below)

Shiftless or Shifty?

BTW - I did purchase the CTX700ND and am quite happy with it.

MisterHand (Tony)

·
Registered
126 Posts
A little OT, but I found this comment interesting:

It turns out that the Vulcan is uncomfortable for my riding partner - for several reasons
What were those reasons?

I ask because I own one. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I spent a lot of time researching and test riding bikes with automatic transmission options - including the CTX700ND. I documented my impressions and made links to relevant video reviews and text-based info. I made this file over a period of years so it's almost certainly more than you want to read. Perhaps you will find something of interest there however (link below)

Shiftless or Shifty?

MisterHand (Tony)
Well I was pretty set on choosing either the BMW C650GT or the Suzuki Burgman 650 until I saw the Honda CTX. Still deciding...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was looking at the 650 GT as well but opted for the CTX D and have ZERO regrets. I had a Majesty and this is so much easier to ride.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I was looking at the 650 GT as well but opted for the CTX D and have ZERO regrets. I had a Majesty and this is so much easier to ride.

and I bet you save a lot of money getting the Honda too..... I have heard about some BMW adventure bike problems and very high costs of service.

You did good.

·
Registered
309 Posts
and I bet you save a lot of money getting the Honda too..... I have heard about some BMW adventure bike problems and very high costs of service.

You did good.
Yes, that is one of my concerns; the cost of maintenance. And the fact that there are only 2 BMW motorcycle dealerships in the DFW area and several Honda dealerships. So I'm thinking the choice is getting clearer. But I'm still gonna test ride that BMW. :)

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I had an '08 Burgman 650 Exec, I am on the small side so pushing it around (625 lbs) I had to pay attention, dropped it once in my driveway.

The CTX seems to have better balance and feel than the 650, I really like this bike.

There is no perfect bike.

Test riding is the way to do it, especially at these prices.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had 05 burg650. I liked it too. Heavy and much bigger feeling than the ctx. The tyranny was so much smoother than my new ctx. I am hopeful that gets better with mileage. Seems clunky now. Manual shift is just like the auto to me in the feel of it, only I am doing the work.

·
Registered
300 Posts
An extremely thorough review of automatic rides. Lots of information here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lots of good information.
I bought the CTX700 for the DCT. But another option I was looking at was an EFM auto clutch (EFM Auto Clutch). I couldn't find any bad reviews on it.
I contacted them about a used Honda Shadow 750 I was thinking about. I would have had to remove the clutch, send it to them and they would return it modified. Cost was $695 plus shipping.
In the end I chose the CTX...it just fit as soon as I sat on it. However, if and when I want something bigger or faster I may venture down this road as it allows any bike to be an automatic

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have a CTX700nd and like it a lot, but was looking at a Mana GT850 to keep at the second location where I live, but there seem to be a lot of reliability issues with that bike as discussed over at the Aprilia GT850 forum. Now I will wait for the spring season and see if there is a bigger CTX bike by then. The VCF1200 also with dct seems a bit too much bike for me and I have not been able to sit on one anywhereto check out the feel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a CTX700nd and like it a lot, but was looking at a Mana GT850 to keep at the second location where I live, but there seem to be a lot of reliability issues with that bike as discussed over at the Aprilia GT850 forum. Now I will wait for the spring season and see if there is a bigger CTX bike by then. The VCF1200 also with dct seems a bit too much bike for me and I have not been able to sit on one anywhereto check out the feel.
I to was looking at the Honda VFR1200 as another option but seems out of my experience level, jumping from a Gilera Nexus 500 to the VFR wouldn't end well!

Some info on the VFR - Honda VFR1200F - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also owning an Italian scooter, I know how expensive it can be just to find basic parts. Most I have had to source in the UK or Italy. A lot of electrical issues, but the engine is going strong.

Aprilia is a more popular brand than Gilera, but I'm guessing its the same story with parts and reliability.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Shiftless or Shifty?

MisterHand (Tony)
Misterhand, can you please repost your shift/shiftless link? It has lots of good observations and I was keen to check it again, but it appears to be non-functional. Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have a C650GT with 22,000 miles on it

Would you all recommend the CTX? Are there any high mileage CTX's out there in this forum?

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I would recommend the CTX but I think the highest mileage one on the site is around 15,000 miles. But I really like the bike.

Reactions: dumfadog

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
I highly recommend the CTX700 because...

1. I am 5'-4" tall with a 29" inseam. This is the only motorcycle I have ever sat on that fit me with ZERO modification. For me the bars were "right there" no leaning fwd and not too wide. Flat footed in sneakers with knees bent. I refuse to own/operate a bike where I have to tippy toe the darned thing. That is a serious safety issue for me. My last H-D I had to throw $3000 in parts just to get it to fit right for me.

2. I looked at the H-D Street 750 and found it to be uncomfortable because of the mid foot control placement

3. The fwd controls were the perfect distance and had perfect placement for me. I did not like the H-D because it was so cramped.

4. Price point for what you pay for this bike It was just a tad bit more than the H-D but with the DCT and ABS it was the swing vote for me.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I would recommend the CTX but I think the highest mileage one on the site is around 15,000 miles. But I really like the bike.
I'm at 19,735 miles on the clock. No transmission issues. Just some kind of transient overheating indicator issue.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Interesting article Doc.
It is interesting how we are moving away from 'the driving experience' in motorbikes. We've already lost it in cars - driverless vehicles are almost upon us. My son had trouble buying the most popular car in Canada, a Civic, because he wanted a manual. I think even the Vette has an automatic although with paddle shifters(?).
Now we seem to be following the same trend in motorbikes. Hmm … a driverless motorbike.... probably not a good plan. I suspect that we won't see much movement in NA towards this as we use motorbikes as a hobby much more than the rest of the world seems to. So our market will be dominated by people who want manual transmissions rather than autos.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts