CTX 700 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

Registered
I get 60 freeway/side roads with the saddlebags on. About 64 without (top box stays on). Tall wind screen, lower deflectors and possibly floorboards contribute to the wind resistance.

Registered
You know Motorcycles and our small tanks are sort of hard-to-get accurate MPG figures as even a tenth a gallon or so can change your figure. I record ALL my fill ups and the miles. On a trip a week or so ago I went 527 miles and averaged 70.22 mpg for the entire trip BUT over 50% of the trip was with a group (local Antique motorcycle club) and we had a slight tail wind and rode very modestly, not much over 60 (all highway). I had a tank that seemed to take me 86 miles on one gallon. On the way back I'm now riding by myself into a strong hot south wind and normally going about 70 mph. it appears I only got 62 mpg, hench the 70-mpg average for the entire trip, very high at the moderate speeds, nice, but not super at faster speeds and a head wind. Not a onetime guess, every tank full written down, so I feel this is pretty accurate and should make up for those fill ups that you almost had it spilling out the cap or could have added 2 or 3 tenths more. I normally average about 65 mpg. Even my 1970 CL350 Honda twin only gets about 45, these CTX's are really economy champs!

Registered
The ctx700 is the hardest to estimate your mpg. I have gotten as little as 50 and as high as 79. I find if I cruise between 70 to 75 and don't do quick acceleration I average 62 to 65 mpg. All the bikes I've owned the mpg drops drastically at 80 and above.

Registered
80mph? That鈥檒l do it right there, no question. If you can bring yourself to do it, run a tank @55mph on the interstate I鈥檓 sure you鈥檒l be amazed.
I regularly get 70+mpg.
Ah, but we CAnucks use the imperial gallon, not the US gallon. When I keep it under 110 km/ hour (approx 65 mph), if I'n not packing a lot and not big wind, I will get 3.1 litres per 100 or 75 mpg imperial. That would reduce a fair bit as there are 3.78 litres per US Gallon and 4.54 litres per imperial gallon.
Then again, when driving at 130 km/hour into a gale in the rain, I was lucky to get 6 to 7 l per 100 or 45 -40 mpg.

Registered
I use litres per hundred, but when discussing things on an American based message board I use U.S. litres, which is what I did above. If you prefer 2.95l/100km is a number I can hit with regularity.
3.785l per us gallon and 4.546 per imperial gallon.
All things I鈥檝e had to learn dealing with Americans and old Canadians.

Super Moderator
So that makes you.......a young Canadian? :rolleyes:

I have no issue with the metric system, but the litres per 100 km has always seemed odd to me.

Registered
I have no issue with the metric system, but the litres per 100 km has always seemed odd to me.
I can follow any system, but the litre per 100 km is newer and few people can relate to is, unlike the mpg (where the difference between a US gallon and an imperial one can be significant.

Several people have noted how they record and monitor all fuel consumption and mileage. Looking at overall all mileage and fuel purchase over a 3-6 month period will really give a good indication of real mileage rates.

Registered
I can follow any system, but the litre per 100 km is newer and few people can relate to is, unlike the mpg (where the difference between a US gallon and an imperial one can be significant.

Several people have noted how they record and monitor all fuel consumption and mileage. Looking at overall all mileage and fuel purchase over a 3-6 month period will really give a good indication of real mileage rates.
I check my gas mileage every fillup and I get at least 80 mpg or above US gallon,but I work at it!jasperj

Registered
I suppose so, Canada changed to the metric system in the late 70s, and a lot of people never converted from what they were taught in school. So if you鈥檙e 60+ you鈥檙e still dealing in mpg, using inches and feet and Fahrenheit. My father still uses imperial everything.

Registered
I suppose so, Canada changed to the metric system in the late 70s, and a lot of people never converted from what they were taught in school. So if you鈥檙e 60+ you鈥檙e still dealing in mpg, using inches and feet and Fahrenheit. My father still uses imperial everything.
Me, I'm bilingual: metric and imperial. Being a child of the 60's, I still understand temperature more precisely in imperial (hey , when it is -30C, it still damn cold.... trivial point> both celcius and fahrenheit read the same at -40). For woodworking, I do a mixture. Dimensional wood are still nominally imperial ( 2 x 4 ) but plywood is mostly gone metric.

Registered
I seem to recall from the days of the National 55mph speed limits, that every 5 mph increase in speed would drop your fuel mileage by about 10%. I could be misremembering those numbers. Currently, we are in the Black Hills, riding the heck out of the twisty roads here. Combination of those 35 to 45 mph speeds and some highway riding (usually at 65 to 70 mph) is getting me 70 mpg or better. I do make it a point to use NON-ethanol regular gas, which also results in better fuel economy (and the bike seems happier with it).

I weight about 185 and have a mid-height windshield with a lip on top. Most of my rides are 2 to 4 hours, sometimes longer. I can believe mid-50s running at 80 mph.

Registered
I mostly ride in Oregon, and rarely over 70, and average about 65+ mpg. Last fall I rode my CTX to Utah and back with some 80 mph speed limits in the desert, and traffic going a bit over that. My mpg went down drastically, and I slowed down a bit in order to make the next possible gas station. I don't know the exact formula, but I believe that drag increases with the square of your speed, so that extra 10 or 15 mph make a bigger difference than the prior 10 or 15.

Registered
Only tangentially related, but I wonder if the DCT affects the mileage? Back in the "olden days," when many cars were available with a manual or automatic transmission, it seemed the manual was always 1 or 2 mpg better. Having ridden motorcycles since 1967, I continue to be impressed with how good the DCT is on this bike. I thought using Drive Mode would result in better fuel mileage, but after putting 5,000+ miles on this bike in the past 4 months, I am finding no significant difference in mileage, regardless of the Mode, as long as I am not running continuous at high highway speeds. The worst mileage I've seen with the CTX was 64, almost all of that tank at highway speeds. But, it seems to have settled into 70 to 74 mpg pretty consistently the last half dozen fill-ups with what I'd call "sporting" riding conditions.
Helmet Land vehicle Sky Vehicle Tire

Registered
Only tangentially related, but I wonder if the DCT affects the mileage? Back in the "olden days," when many cars were available with a manual or automatic transmission, it seemed the manual was always 1 or 2 mpg better. Having ridden motorcycles since 1967, I continue to be impressed with how good the DCT is on this bike. I thought using Drive Mode would result in better fuel mileage, but after putting 5,000+ miles on this bike in the past 4 months, I am finding no significant difference in mileage, regardless of the Mode, as long as I am not running continuous at high highway speeds. The worst mileage I've seen with the CTX was 64, almost all of that tank at highway speeds. But, it seems to have settled into 70 to 74 mpg pretty consistently the last half dozen fill-ups with what I'd call "sporting" riding conditions.
It MUST affect the milage for the simple reason that it is more weight, just like an automobile. It might save gas also, by shifting to the most efficient gearing sooner than a rider would.

Nice Schuberth, btw. I have the C3 Pro.

Registered
It MUST affect the milage for the simple reason that it is more weight, just like an automobile. It might save gas also, by shifting to the most efficient gearing sooner than a rider would.

Nice Schuberth, btw. I have the C3 Pro.
Thanks for the response, JamminJames. That C3 Pro fits my head.

I used Drive Mode quite a bit when I first got the bike. I figured that rapid upshifting had to be good for mileage. Now in the Black Hills for the past month, I am able to ride the twisties and push the bike harder (and have more fun); Sport Mode all the time. The mileage is about the same. The smileage is significantly more!

Registered
I'm uploading a screenshot of my MPG spreadsheet. I write down odometer on every fuel receipt then punch that and gallons into this sheet. Notice that I have an average column for the last 7 tanks to reduce over and under fills. I also make notes about what I was doing... The TN trip had the bike loaded heavy and running high speed to and from, While there (Day 2-6) the speed was much slower with a group and a lots of twisties as well as traffic. I've done this for years with most of the vehicles I've owned - it clues me in when mileage starts slipping that the vehicle probably has a problem and I need to pay closer attention to it when next I do maintenance.
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Pattern

Reactions: Kickapoojim

Registered
I'm uploading a screenshot of my MPG spreadsheet. I write down odometer on every fuel receipt then punch that and gallons into this sheet. Notice that I have an average column for the last 7 tanks to reduce over and under fills. I also make notes about what I was doing... The TN trip had the bike loaded heavy and running high speed to and from, While there (Day 2-6) the speed was much slower with a group and a lots of twisties as well as traffic. I've done this for years with most of the vehicles I've owned - it clues me in when mileage starts slipping that the vehicle probably has a problem and I need to pay closer attention to it when next I do maintenance. View attachment 89857
I keep checking gas mileage on all my vehicles,if drops then I can figure I might have a problem and will investgate if I have some drops in a row.jasperj

21 - 40 of 47 Posts