CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CTX700 DCT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode 280 miles today on the interstate going around 80 mph.
Rode in D mode the whole way.
Tall windshield, rear top box and my 250 pounds.
I'm due for the 8000 mile inspection.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Any thoughts?
What mpg do you usually get?Were you going against the wind?WERE the rpms normal for that speed?52mpg is awful poor for that bike,it was probaly working hard,if you had a problem,I'm sure the check engine light would of come on.jasperj

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Any thoughts?
190 currently, tall windshield and large 50 litre top box. I never get more than 55 mpg measured.

Reactions: Ruby

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Doesn't seem to matter. Longest ride so far is 190mi in one day. Commute is 50 mi day.

I almost always use sport mode but I don't dog it, just don't like the lugging I get when on secondary roads and it wants to be in 6th @40mph.

I run 70-80 on highway when it's not too windy.

Recently ran out of gas @ exactly 170 miles. Now I know when the flashing bar pops up it's time to get fuel now!

Always reset trip and fill to those bars in the tank on centerstand. Max fill for me is 3.1 gallons.

Recently replaced air filter and found ground acorns but that didn't seem to change anything.

Always been amazed at the MPG peeps report on here.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Doesn't seem to matter. Longest ride so far is 190mi in one day. Commute is 50 mi day.

I almost always use sport mode but I don't dog it, just don't like the lugging I get when on secondary roads and it wants to be in 6th @40mph.

I run 70-80 on highway when it's not too windy.

Recently ran out of gas @ exactly 170 miles. Now I know when the flashing bar pops up it's time to get fuel now!

Always reset trip and fill to those bars in the tank on centerstand. Max fill for me is 3.1 gallons.

Recently replaced air filter and found ground acorns but that didn't seem to change anything.

Always been amazed at the MPG peeps report on here.
I'm one of those guys that gets the great mpg! I work at it.I keep the bike narrow and have a trunk that I use as my back rest.I have a bigger windshield that cuts through the wind good.I have the ctx700 manual with the fairing.I pull in the clutch and coast when I slow down.The bike learned my style I can ride in 6th gear at about 35mph without it lugging.The other day I went for a 200 mile ride and got 85mpg,riding from 50 to 65 mph.Almost all the time I get in the 80's.I'm retired so in no hurry just puts around on the back roads enjoying the scenery.jasperj

·
Registered
127 Posts
Speed, headwinds, gearing and tire pressure always negatively affect mpg. So does loose flapping clothing and sudden acceleration. Could be any number of reasons why your mpg is low.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
I suspect if I never went over 55 and accelerated like Grandma I'd do better. I'm OK with 55mpg.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's the drag from the tall windshield + doing 80mph.
Also for this weight I'd inflate the rear tire to 39psi and the front to 36psi.
Make sure your front and rear brake pistons are clean so they don't drag too much and your parking brake isn't set too tight -- lift the rear wheel and try turning it by hand, is it too stiff? That could be the parking brake.

·
Registered
2014 honda CTX 700, 2002 CBR 954, 2012 Can Am spyder RT Limited
49 Posts
howdy,
My commute is 70 miles a day and I am averaging 72 MPG. About half of that commute is through town 35 mph and the other is freeway 70 mph. I watch my fuel closely and feel no need to race. My weight is 263. I'm always easy one the throttle.
jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm one of those guys that gets the great mpg! I work at it.I keep the bike narrow and have a trunk that I use as my back rest.I have a bigger windshield that cuts through the wind good.I have the ctx700 manual with the fairing.I pull in the clutch and coast when I slow down.The bike learned my style I can ride in 6th gear at about 35mph without it lugging.The other day I went for a 200 mile ride and got 85mpg,riding from 50 to 65 mph.Almost all the time I get in the 80's.I'm retired so in no hurry just puts around on the back roads enjoying the scenery.jasperj
Jasperj what windscreen are you using?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got my CTX700N 2 weeks ago and got 54 mpg on the first tank. It was also my time riding a motorcycle and I stalled the bike quite a bit but I'm hoping I can at least hit 60 mpg lol.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My mileage definitely drops when my top case and saddlebags and are on. Probably the wind resistance and the extra weight.

Also check your tire pressure and try getting gas from a different gas station as a test.

-Sloppy

·
Registered
49 Posts
I only get between 50-55mpg.
I weigh less than 200lbs & have no luggage. But I never ride on the highway and I enjoy accelerating quickly. After reading another thread, I plan on checking my air filter but I'm not convinced that will help me. My tire pressure is good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I only get between 50-55mpg.
I weigh less than 200lbs & have no luggage. But I never ride on the highway and I enjoy accelerating quickly. After reading another thread, I plan on checking my air filter but I'm not convinced that will help me. My tire pressure is good.
Just try accelerating easy and don't wind it out,hit 6 gear around 50mph and see what happens.Also if you are taking short rides that will cut into your mileage.If the speed limit is 45 mph,I would puts along in 6th gear.My mpg is in the 80's jasperj

1 - 20 of 47 Posts