CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
howdy from haifa israel and after three strokes. i am no longer able to ride so very much appreciate being able to enjoy sturgis in summer. last time i was there on motor cycle -- i don't remember when but i remember the last time remember when, was in 1984 driving my semi trusk and flat bed and i stayed the night somewhere in town.
thanks again for takin me along.
ken

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was in Sturgis in 1984, Ken; we lived between Sturgis and Deadwood at the time. The Rally at that time was generally 30,000 to 40,000. In 1990, the 50th anniversary of the Rally, the attendance exploded, with estimates of 300,000 to 400,000. It has remained huge every year since, with attendance figures up and down, but always big. If you want to see a look at downtown Sturgis from last year, here you go...

We'll likely go there during the Rally, but it isn't particularly fun riding due to the crowds.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Jim, thanks for both rides. Love your channel!(y)

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
Judging by the general... aesthetic... of the videos I've seen so far, I think I'm glad I'm not in the middle of all that!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Judging by the general... aesthetic... of the videos I've seen so far, I think I'm glad I'm not in the middle of all that!
Well, since this is my 35th Rally (first time was in 1978, and I missed a few along the way, mostly due to work), if I didn't enjoy it some, I wouldn't be going back. It is an event - I'm not big on the crowds, but like New Orleans at Mardi Gras, Albuquerque during the Balloon Fiesta, Oshkosh during the EAA Fly-in, or Vegas on New Year's Eve, these are bucket list items for a lot of folks. It is interesting to see the bikes, the people, and the endless number of vendors. The only way to truly understand is to experience it... at least once.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
...The only way to truly understand is to experience it... at least once.
Considering my DC location, I may give Daytona a try one of these days... a bit closer to me (and I have family in Florida). After that, we'll see if a Sturgis trip is in my future!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts