CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And, if you don't have time for the above video, here are a couple "shorts" ...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Captain, What's with all the other clips?
All two of them are significantly shortened clips, edited differently. What can I say - I enjoy messing with the 360 video, both shooting and editing. It keeps me out of the bars and pool halls. And if a 7 minute video is too much, you can look at a 30 second video instead. Or, don't look at any of them.

With 360 video, I can edit it a zillion different ways from the same clip. Interesting to me... maybe not necessarily so for others. Odd thing (well, to me): one of those "shorts" had over 2,000 views in the first few hours, the other one (posted first) had 14. I guess "Shorts" would be YouTube's way of trying to be like TicTok. I just tried a few of those this past week. For the record, I get the same income from those YouTube videos as I do making a post here. :sneaky:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I looked at a couple of your long clips Captain Jim and enjoyed them, and liked the 360 degree views. I agree the shorter, the more views one will receive generally. Years ago I yearned to go to Sturgis, I had a Honda Valkyrie at that time, but my business and the fact my wife will not get on a bike, made it impossible. As I have gotten older, I just do not enjoy crowds much, ( I even gave up going to Cincinnati Bengals games ) but sure would like to ride those great roads they have in the Black Hills. A good friend goes with some long time buddies of his about every 3 years, but goes a week to 10 days before the gathering. Maybe after my wife retires I will get the chance, sure hope so. Carry on with the videos Captain.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at a couple of your long clips Captain Jim and enjoyed them, and liked the 360 degree views. I agree the shorter, the more views one will receive generally. Years ago I yearned to go to Sturgis, I had a Honda Valkyrie at that time, but my business and the fact my wife will not get on a bike, made it impossible. As I have gotten older, I just do not enjoy crowds much, ( I even gave up going to Cincinnati Bengals games ) but sure would like to ride those great roads they have in the Black Hills. A good friend goes with some long time buddies of his about every 3 years, but goes a week to 10 days before the gathering. Maybe after my wife retires I will get the chance, sure hope so. Carry on with the videos Captain.
We used to live in the Black Hills (moved away 16 years ago) and have been fortunate enough to ride to/in other places around the country. For the last 5 years, we have spent 3 months or so in the Black Hills during the summer, just to enjoy the riding here. My wife used to ride with me every time I'd go out, but she has eased off on that some... and had no desire to get out on the bikes during the Rally this year... "Too many stupid people out there"... not sure if she's putting me in that category? :sneaky:

We dated on the motorcycles I had during high school... I taught her to ride on the 650 Triumph Bonneville I had at the time. While we have ridden two-up, she prefers to have her own bike.

Neither of us are big on crowds, but I do enjoy seeing Main Street during the Rally... certainly not the same as being at the Buffalo Chip during a big name concert. Haven't been to a concert or a professional sporting event since Covid.

But, riding is something we've always enjoyed. Seems that getting this CTX in March has given my riding passion a boost. We plan to head out on the bikes today - probably the Wildlife Loop in Custer State Park (her idea). Anywhere is good for me; I just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
28 Posts
How fortunate for you and your wife. Been through there back in 1996, in a vehicle and stopped at Mt. Rushmore. Great scenery and roads, I love mountains and plan to retire to Eastern TN when the wife retires - still almost 7 years off. What bike does your wife ride?

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
Some nice roads in eastern Tenn/Virginia/Carolina area (y)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How fortunate for you and your wife. Been through there back in 1996, in a vehicle and stopped at Mt. Rushmore. Great scenery and roads, I love mountains and plan to retire to Eastern TN when the wife retires - still almost 7 years off. What bike does your wife ride?
It's a state law: if you come to South Dakota, you are required to stop at Mt Rushmore. :cool: Having been there many times, I still find it inspiring.

It's been 5 years since we were in Tennessee and North Carolina - plenty of good riding there.

My wife currently has a Yamaha Xmax. When a deteriorating hip moved me from a motorcycle to a scooter (until I got a new titanium hip), getting a couple scooters was her idea... she gets me... we had a blast with the scooters and it kept me riding. Before getting the CTX, I was riding a Vespa 300 GTS HPE - her Xmax kicked butt on the Vespa. She is a good rider, very smooth and fluid. Riding on some curvy roads outside of Custer State Park today, I had to work to keep up with her. In the past, she has had a several Yamaha sport bikes, a Goldwing, and a Harley Heritage Softail. She hasn't wanted to ride my CTX yet... I think she'd like the DCT, but a different bike has to be her idea. She sat on a Rebel 1100 when I was looking at bikes this spring; I saw that look in her eye, but she really enjoys her Xmax. She did put a deposit down on a BMW C400x, but when the bike was delivered to the dealer, BMW had put a "stop sale" on it due to a brake recall. After a couple months of waiting and no word from BMW as to when they'd be able to do the recall, the dealer (a friend of ours) suggested we just take the deposit back. That's when she bought the Xmax. She is longer legged than I am and that Xmax fits her; it's a bit too tall for me.

She is a great riding partner.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Jim, I also returned to riding after getting that titanium hip, making it possible to throw a leg over a motorcycle again. :D It was my wife's idea to take a look at the CTX with DCT, knowing the hand arthritis kept me from operating the clutch lever safely. The rest, as they say, is history. Loving this bike, and so thankful to be riding again.:giggle:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim, I also returned to riding after getting that titanium hip, making it possible to throw a leg over a motorcycle again. :D It was my wife's idea to take a look at the CTX with DCT, knowing the hand arthritis kept me from operating the clutch lever safely. The rest, as they say, is history. Loving this bike, and so thankful to be riding again.:giggle:
Looking back, I should have done the hip replacement sooner. Thanks to my wife's urging, we had a great time with the scooters - the step through on the Vespa made riding a breeze for me, and that GTS 300 is a fun machine. If I had room for two bikes, I would have kept the Vespa along with the CTX. The CVT transmission that most scooters have showed me that I can absolutely enjoy the riding experience without a clutch lever and shift lever... it was a natural transition to the CTX with DCT when I could lift and rotate that leg again.

After the hip surgery, I asked the surgeon when I'd be able to ride again... he said, "Never. You are done riding motorcycles; it is too dangerous on that hip." I fired him.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Still riding. :D My 31 year old grandson gave me this sweatshirt. "Some Grandpas play bingo; real Grandpas ride motorcycles"
Tire Wheel Jeans Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's a state law: if you come to South Dakota, you are required to stop at Mt Rushmore. :cool: Having been there many times, I still find it inspiring.

It's been 5 years since we were in Tennessee and North Carolina - plenty of good riding there.

My wife currently has a Yamaha Xmax. When a deteriorating hip moved me from a motorcycle to a scooter (until I got a new titanium hip), getting a couple scooters was her idea... she gets me... we had a blast with the scooters and it kept me riding. Before getting the CTX, I was riding a Vespa 300 GTS HPE - her Xmax kicked butt on the Vespa. She is a good rider, very smooth and fluid. Riding on some curvy roads outside of Custer State Park today, I had to work to keep up with her. In the past, she has had a several Yamaha sport bikes, a Goldwing, and a Harley Heritage Softail. She hasn't wanted to ride my CTX yet... I think she'd like the DCT, but a different bike has to be her idea. She sat on a Rebel 1100 when I was looking at bikes this spring; I saw that look in her eye, but she really enjoys her Xmax. She did put a deposit down on a BMW C400x, but when the bike was delivered to the dealer, BMW had put a "stop sale" on it due to a brake recall. After a couple months of waiting and no word from BMW as to when they'd be able to do the recall, the dealer (a friend of ours) suggested we just take the deposit back. That's when she bought the Xmax. She is longer legged than I am and that Xmax fits her; it's a bit too tall for me.

She is a great riding partner.
Xmax is a fine scooter, as I am a fan of scooters also. I wanted to buy one back in 2019, however just sitting on one, it was way to cramped for my 6 ft 32 inch inseam, but they did get rave reviews from owners. I owned a Honda Reflex I bought for my wife in 2012, thought she would find it easy to ride (it is). She took one short trip and scared her. So I sold it and bought a Kymco Xciting 500i. Great straightline scooter, not so good on curves, just adequate and sold it a year later. In 2019 I bought a Honda Pcx 150 as it fit me ergo wise, just ran out of acceleration at 55 mph. A couple of months ago I decided I wanted the new Kymco AK 550 which rivals or excels the Yamaha Tmax no longer sold in U.S. Sat on one at dealer in Springfield,OH and it fit me like a glove with plenty of room to move around on. Then I found out that Kymco plans to bring their updated AK 550st to the states, maybe in 2023. It has cruise control, and electric adjustable windscreen and their traction control. I decided to hold off at least until it makes it to our market. And then I decided on a good used CTX 700 dct which I just picked up this past Saturday and love it. This makes the 19 motorbike I have owned since 1981, and the 8th Honda. I like the looks of that BMW C400x, it would be to cramped for me, but I bet your wife would love it, however again the Xmas is a really good scooter from what I have read. By the way Kymco probably makes the motor and other parts for that C400x as they did for the BMW 650 GTs.

·
Registered
2015 CTX700
19 Posts
That much stopping and starting would drive me nuts. Plus the crowds, people walking in front of you... I probably wouldn't enjoy myself much. Although looking at all the bikes would be cool. I imagine a lot of them overheat going that slow through town.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That much stopping and starting would drive me nuts. Plus the crowds, people walking in front of you... I probably wouldn't enjoy myself much. Although looking at all the bikes would be cool. I imagine a lot of them overheat going that slow through town.
Not my water-cooled CTX. :cool: Start and stop? No issue with the DCT!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The CTX would stay cool, but I've got a VStar 1100 air-cooled that would not like that at all.

And my CTX is manual, so that would be a pain. Although I'm considering trading for a DCT.
I had the CTX out this morning on a glorious ride on Iron Mountain Road - early enough in the day that I had the road pretty much to myself...

I continue to be impressed with just how good the DCT is - especially so when riding a technical road like this one. Sport Mode with any desired up/down shifting with the paddle (trigger) shifters.

I've had plenty of air cooled bikes over the years, including 9 Harleys. They do get warm, and it was downright hot at the Sturgis Rally most days this time. The CTX has been easy to live with.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2013 Honda CB1100
66 Posts
I had the CTX out this morning on a glorious ride on Iron Mountain Road - early enough in the day that I had the road pretty much to myself...

I continue to be impressed with just how good the DCT is - especially so when riding a technical road like this one. Sport Mode with any desired up/down shifting with the paddle (trigger) shifters.

I've had plenty of air cooled bikes over the years, including 9 Harleys. They do get warm, and it was downright hot at the Sturgis Rally most days this time. The CTX has been easy to live with.
I just got back from a 2 day ride along hwy 1 that covered just north of the Golden Gate (Muir Beach) to Fort Ross above Jenner. I was in sport mode most of the time and loved the DCT, it does a great job downshifting before corners and making the ride less tiring.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts