CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm confused. They kept calling it VTwin racing, but the CTX isn't a V. In any case, I can honestly say I never imagined the CTX as a drag bike.

Reactions: Ruby

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
People can race anything. Notice the long head start for the slow ctx? Bracket racing blows~
Bracket racing is closer to a video game than an actual race. Sort of like golfing with a handicap. About all it proves is who has better reaction times, nd who can play the game and not break out at the top end. Real racers don’t use computer controlled stutter boxes,

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
Bracket racing is closer to a video game than an actual race. Sort of like golfing with a handicap. About all it proves is who has better reaction times, nd who can play the game and not break out at the top end. Real racers don’t use computer controlled stutter boxes,
Race the clock or race the man? I choose the man! Otherwise there is absolutely no need for a second or more lanes or other racers....or even a track really.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Most people I know that race; Bracket Race. I really care for it myself, but to each his own. The people I know that race probably could not afford to go "full bore" racing.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I’m completely unfamiliar with the rules or types of drag racing, but if you race the person, and cross the line 1st, wouldn’t you be faster on the clock too?

Reactions: Ruby

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
I’m completely unfamiliar with the rules or types of drag racing, but if you race the person, and cross the line 1st, wouldn’t you be faster on the clock too?
Bracket racers pick a time bracket that they think their car will be competitive in. Maybe you have a fast car, so you compete in the 7 second bracket, and somebody else has a slower car, so they compete in the 14 second bracket. The other car gets to leave 7 seconds before you do, and then you have to try and beat him to the finish line.

Now, to answer your question...
Not necessarily. If you cut a "Good Light", and get off the line faster than the guy in the next lane, with everything else equal, you'd be the first to the top end lights. He could have slower reaction time, and not accelerate when the light turns green, as quick as you, but his car may be faster, so although you get to the finish line first, his elapsed time (from the time he crossed the starting line to the time he crossed the finish line, might be less. Also, in bracket racing, you select a specific bracket (E.T.) that you can not exceed. Let's say that you are in the 10 second bracket, but you actually cross the finish line in 9.90, you have "Broken out", so you lose, even if the other guy is slower. Some drivers, use computerized ignition cut outs called stutter boxes, that recognize your bracket and if you're going too fast they interrupt the ignition circuits to slow you down. In the early days of bracket racing, it wasn't unusual to see drivers actually touching the brakes to slow down, but that was deemed "Illegal", so they had to resort to other devices.

I never bracket raced. I only competed in "Heads up" racing. That's where you both leave the starting line at the same time and the winner is the guy who crosses the finish line first. We ran in classes determined by dividing the weight of the car, by the cubic inches. There were other class qualifications but that's a lot to get into here.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Race the clock or race the man? I choose the man! Otherwise there is absolutely no need for a second or more lanes or other racers....or even a track really.
That goes back to the origins of Drag Racing. Line up at a red light, and when it turns green you dump the clutch. First one to the next intersection is the winner. Didn't matter if you had a '55 Chev with a 265, a Pontiac Bonneville with a 389. or a Deuce coupe with a blown flathead. It was "Run what you brung".

·
Super Moderator
6,250 Posts
That goes back to the origins of Drag Racing. Line up at a red light, and when it turns green you dump the clutch. First one to the next intersection is the winner. Didn't matter if you had a '55 Chev with a 265, a Pontiac Bonneville with a 389. or a Deuce coupe with a blown flathead. It was "Run what you brung".
That's real drag racing!

The only purpose for bracket reason is simply track and general racing consolidation. When races and vehicles can be tweaked to a thousandth of a second, the void between one another can be huge! Therefore bracket is set up to allow some or any time range to race one another. The stupid thing that you see is that there are head starts like shown in this video, slow starts then run hard or run hard and than cut off. That is not racing one another at all, it is ALL about time. The same can be accomplished with one or a thousand lanes, it makes absolutely no difference. If you run 12's, you shouldn't be running with 9's, that is just common sense! Watching bracket is the dumbest thing there is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would have expected closer to mid14s out of a CTX, considering the 0-60 time, but then again the 700 does run out of steam in the top end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As the guy who races the bike (Giant Slayer) in the video I would first like to respond with WOW!!!! Thought there would be more positive support for a guy racing a CTX on a CTX forum. Doesn't matter as I have always been the guy to go against the norm and be different. Anyway,,,, I love heads up racing (first one across the line wins) but realistically who can afford it anymore? It all boils down to who has the deepest pockets to go faster. I did that back in the day with cars and bikes.
Now as I reach retirement I just want to have fun with no stress. With this set up I finish a run, eat a sandwich and wait on the next run. I'm not working or checking on anything and having an absolute BLAST!!!!
As for the pros and cons of bracket racing, this has been argued since the late 70s but the fact is bracket racing saved many a dragstrip across the U.S. by allowing slower (low budget) racers to have fun and be competitive keeping them racing week in and week out.
I run the bike in both Street ET and the V Twin class (rulebook says any configuration of twin cylinder). I finished 4th in points in the Mancup V Twin national series missing 2 races for medical (surgery) reasons. Matter of fact just to piss guys off even more I'm gonna put a car tire on the rear, build a stretched arm, slam it and slow it down even more. Rule book says max dial in of 18.99, yes there is an advantage of forcing a guy to chase you down.
So in closing, "Haters Gonna Hate" but I'm not the guy sitting in front of a tv all weekend dreaming about racing!!!!!

·
Registered
265 Posts
As a world famous F-1 racer joking said to world famous drag racer, "anybody can drive a car in a straight line for 3.5 seconds." Before you get your nickers in a knot, they both laughed & took another drink of their beer.....it was all in fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts