CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my bike is lurching back & forth and losing power. I accidently put too much oil in it the other day but i tilted it to the side to dump sum out. Idk if that's what the problem is. Also feels like there's a weird grinding sound and i just had my chain tightened

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1example- i was in 6th gear barely going 50mph then it starts lurching/jerking. Then my mphs start dropping to 49,47 to 49 even tho i have the throttle fully open.i was only 2 lights away from home so i just held the throttle open as far as it would go. Saying out loud plz just make it home. Made it. Then this morning it starts up fine. And no problems or anything unusual.

I also have to confess. Im really hoping this is unrelated but i can't really get the help i need without being honest. A couple of months ago i rear-ended a car on the freeway. I took off their bumper. I bent the front forks, broke the plastic around the headlight but the bulb was still intact not damaged. The front rim was busted to smithereens as was the front fender and the tire ruptured.

So fast forward a couple of months. I bought New rim, forks, headlight housing plastic, tire, front rotor and battery. Had a honda shop install everything. The bike fired right up and ran.

So now you kno the whole story.
I also had someone tighten my chain but im honestly wondering if he made it too tight.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
895 Posts
DCT? ABS?

DCT, make sure you are shutting down properly. Put it in neutral, then left to right (parking brake, ignition, then kill switch).

ABS, you may have damaged the front wheel sensor/wiring in the crash.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
2014 ctx700ND DCT ABD
Hope you were not seriously injured in your accident. 1st, your oil level MUST be correct, do you have an owners manual? If you need help checking this (bike must be held level), get experienced help, also with your chain adjustment.
Not likely that your accident has anything to do with this...MANY riders rear end other vehicles, mostly due to a lack of professional rider training.:oops:
Welcome & plz follow up when you can...Be Safe & Good Luck going forward.;)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Chain can be easily checked. Put on sidestand and the slack on the chain, when pulled tight downward should be about an inch and a quarter. If less than that you can easily loosen it. Checking the oil also is easy. With a cold motor and the bike on the sidestand pull the bike up straight for a second and the oil will be level in the crankcase. Put it back on the stand and check the dipstick. Before doing this loosen the dipstick. Correct measurement is with the dipstick unscrewed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's the update. Ur gonna laugh. When the lurching back and forth was happening i didn't take into account i had shopping bags on my mirrors. I think the bulk of my shopping kept pulling my brakes in. So I was trying to ride while my shopping stuff is braking. What an idiot.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sounds like you need to get some side and / or top boxes! Lots of options out there and you can find various threads talking about the pros and cons of each brand.
Before you get yourself killed.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sounds like you need to get some side and / or top boxes! Lots of options out there and you can find various threads talking about the pros and cons of each brand.
At least a backpack at a minimum.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts