CTX 700 Forum banner

Old guy with a new ride in life

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Dyte1 
#1 ·
I am in Columbus on the West Coast of Georgia. My commute to work is 4.5 miles and driving my 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab with the 5.9L Magnum V8 (gasser) and a 5 speed manual was not happy with Branden's gas prices. So I went looking for a scooter, but a big boy like me at 280 needed more than a 'no frills' 50cc scooter. I found a Yamaha Zuma 125 and added it to my short list. Long story short, my wife bought it for me! I love it at 74+ MPG, but I cannot ride it to my other gig in nearby Cusseta Georgia that takes place every Sunday morning. So, I stumbled upon the CTX DCT world. I went into Extreme Power Sport in my town on a Saturday and someone asked me what I had in mind. I boldly proclaimed "A 2018 Honda CTX700N DCT" to which the guy replied, "We just got a 2015 in today with low miles." 768 miles to be exact... By Tuesday I figured someone tested it out really well as it had 848 on it when I put a deposit on it while they inspected, serviced, and purged the old fuel. The only damage on the machine is a crack in the left shelter and a crack in the left 'winker' stalk. I bet someone put it on the kick stand and forgot to set the parking brake... Need I say more.

I test drove the machine and I love it. 70 on it feels safer to me than 55 on my Zuma, but I still love my Zuma too!

If you like original indy C-Rock, check out Canter Reed on Spotify. That is my other hobby.

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats and welcome!

#3 ·
Hi I live in Oriental, NC, population 880 on a good day. I just traveled yesterday to Vermont and purchased a 2015 CTX700 with 8500 miles and factory bags. I'm 75 years young and this is my 28th motorcycle, been riding since I was 13. I started on a 98CC Ducati. My wife says this is my very last bike ! We'll see. Looking forward to putting miles on this puppy.

#4 ·
Welcome Newbie and jack. (y) I'm 81, retired, and spend winters in Hilton Head, SC., and the rest of the year in Rochester, NY, where I ride my CTX 700. This forum gave me the inspiration and advice to add the many mods to my "Silver Bullet" (this is my last bike too). I bought it new over 5 years ago, and still love it. Check out my you tube channel, "Professor*76" for videos of some great rides around Upstate NY. Show us some picks of your bikes. Welcome aboard and ride safe.:)
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle helmet

Reactions: rpw00mirage
#6 ·
Welcome aboard, Newbie and Jack - this is a good place to learn about what you'll be buying next for your CTX. I got mine in March of this year and have been enjoying the heck out of it. I have yet to see another CTX on the road in those 5 months. I know they are out there, 'cause I keep seeing posts here. :cool:

Enjoy!

#7 ·
QUOTE="Captain Jim, post: 957180, member: 48604"]
Welcome aboard, Newbie and Jack - this is a good place to learn about what you'll be buying next for your CTX. I got mine in March of this year and have been enjoying the heck out of it. I have yet to see another CTX on the road in those 5 months. I know they are out there, 'cause I keep seeing posts here. :cool:

Enjoy!
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the welcome aboard message! Sites like this have so much advise and info. Usually if you have a bike problem somebody has already experienced it and has a "fix". Thanks again.
Best Regards Jack

#9 ·
Thanks for the welcome messages!
I pick up 'Quicksilver' tomorrow. If anyone has a spare left shelter for a CTX700N in the stock silver color, I would be interested in it, as mine has a crack. Some quick detective work and I realize that somewhere along the line before I came along, she must have rolled off the kick stand; hence why I want a center stand. I will post some picks when I pick her up this week.

#11 ·
welcome to the club ! i really envy you folks riding in these hotter climates. it's been a streak of 90+F and 90% humidity in new england and i've had to ride to and from work while ive been slow performing maintenance and repairs on my veloster turbo. the ride home has been absolutely terrible due to the heat.

#14 ·
REALLY - "not happy with Branden's gas prices"
The president has no control of gas prices.
REALLY - "not happy with Branden's gas prices"
The president has no control of gas prices.
But thanks for telling us how you're a republican. Not that I care.
Denial is widespread, ignorance is rampant, and stupidity is coming on fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.