CTX 700 Forum banner

oil filter change interval

13K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  hansened 
#1 ·
Hi forum,

How often do you change your oil filters (and clutch oil filter for DCT models). Per manual one should change both every 600 miles, I can't say it's expensive but $10 (oil filter) + $10 (clutch oil filter) + $5 (new O-ring for clutch oild filter) + some oil every 1.5 month :(. Is it typical in motorcycle world? I checked a couple of moto forums and seems like most riders change their filter either with oil change or more often, say 2000-3000 miles, which is reasonable.

Thanks,
Mike

#6 ·
Why can't you guys just give him the answer if you have the manual close by? Why tell him it's a test. Maybe he has lost/misplaced his manual.

If you knew the answer you had the chance to say it and did not. Riding a motorcycle is much different than a car. The owners manual is very important to read and interpret correctly as your life may depend on what is in it. Things not understood from the manual can easily be asked of any Honda service department at usually no charge so this owner could have called the dealer but chose to ask the forum. Maybe because of the lack of answers, the dealer might get the next call. I don't see it as forum members being mean. I see it as they are concerned. Forum members choose to direct this individual to do some home work. It's not a hard thing or real time consuming to pick up the owners manual and read it.

I really don't see any mention of loosing it. No had this person said that on page 12 the manual states x and y and on page 14 it says something confusing then I bet forum members would have answered differently. IMHO

Reactions: vulcan
#16 ·
#8 · (Edited)
I'm reminded of an incident that happened with my daughter when she was first learning to bake, The recipe in her cook book called for "soda" so she added coke to the mix. Needless to say her cake didn't turn out. Anyone who bakes knows to add baking soda. Not everyone is a baker. I spent a life time training correctional officers for the state of Texas. One thing I learned when it comes to life and death. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. The manual tells us to change the oil, oil filter and transmission filter at the first 600 mile interval. This is the initial break-in period and any special lubes or residues left over from the manufacturing process will wind up in your oil and filters. Afterwards, the manual states to change the oil and filters every 8000 miles or 12 months. I personally find this to be excessive. I prefer every 4000-6000 miles if riding on the street in normal day to day driving. If you use synthetic oil the miles will increase to 6000-8000. I live in a hot climate in a rural setting where dust and pollen can be a factor. Most forums that recommend changing the oil earlier are dealing with aircooled engines that tend to run much hotter and require a more frequent oil and filter change. I hope others on the forum will weigh in and give you their recommendations as well.

#17 ·
sorry not accepted. You don't have to ever say your sorry on this forum (unless you really tick someone off by accident then it is optional)
you can ask any questions you like and as a new owner we owe you correct answers.

Now Gentlemen might be over stated but I will accept that. Also Experienced and professionals aren't always the same thing. IMHO

put fun in every day. Ride more.

Reactions: Capt Ed
#10 ·
This is a great forum to learn a great many things about your CTX. Professionals as well as new riders. Don't get disheartened. Everyone on this forum started to ride at some point. Hopefully you have someone with experience to help you along the way. I strongly recommend a motorcycle training course if one is available in your area. Enjoy your new CTX and ride safe.

#11 ·
Thanks everybody again. In fact, I had both owner and service manual, but I didn't realize that first column in maintenance schedule meant first 600 miles not every. So my question wasn't because I'm a lazy guy and didn't want to read but because I'm a fresher and didn't realize what it meant.

#12 ·
Imagine...If the engine oil and filter change interval was every 600 miles, I'd be changing oil 13 times per year. That would be as bad as the chain/sprocket service checks, cleaning and lubing, which is bad enough on its own.

But luckily, the opposite is true. This MC has very long oil / filter change intervals compared to similar products that I looked at when shopping. The DCT filter seems a little over kill though, but I don't have to deal with that with a standard.

#13 ·
There is NO WAY I am going 8000 miles without an oil change in the middle somewhere... I just can't do it, even with synthetic! Glad they made it so reliable it can go that long, but 8000 miles is a looooooong way between oil changes for me! Makes me uncomfortable to say the least. I hit 4000 miles this month, and will likely change the oil in February, just to FEEL on the safe side (whether it makes any real difference or not). Nice to know we got lots of slop time/miles to run late on a standard oil change tho, eh?

#14 · (Edited)
After 4500 miles the oil (synthetic) still had good color to it. I installed a Honda Fit filter at 1/3 the cost.

Please, don't want to incite oil and filter barrage.

On another forum (scooter) this poster has started asking questions (over 50) on very simple things (he is a previous scooter owner). There 'may' be no such thing as a 'stupid' question but there are a some lazy people. You can download the PDF of the owners manual and the service manual from this scooter forum, also he could try using the SEARCH function .... how novel ??

#15 ·
Don't let some of these guys get to you, there is a lot of good information on here, but there are some smarta**es on here too. I have always heard there is no dumb question, that is how you learn, so ask away. I too have asked what some would say are dumb but I also learned the answer that way. Good luck riding.

#18 ·
Personally, I don't retain information unless I have to search for it.

Someone just tells me something it's in, then 30 seconds later, gone.

I feel the answer to search for it in the owners manual was the correct response.

#19 ·
After break-in periods, the mileage I change my oil at is 6-8 thousand miles (like a car). The DCT filter you can easily avoid changing more than once every other oil change unless some mechanical irregularities pop up that catch your concern.
The synthetic I put in, typically comes out close to the same color and consistency it had going in. Not going further into that because #oilthreadsOMG . :nerd:

Reactions: Rogertt73
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.