CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
On every vehicle I have ever owned and that is 30+, I have only changed oil plug washers on two vehicles. One, a bike with a cracked oil pan at the drain plug threads and I got away with a new washer to prevent leaks. The other is my current car, it has a true crush washer, it is u-shaped around and crush-collapses when torqued, it is truly designed as non reusable, but I'm sure it could still be refused if desired. As for the rest, I reuse them all with zero issues! The theory is true, if everything is torqued right and not damaged anywhere, then it should reseal just fine as long as it is still clean, there is no reason for it not too. Changing washers when not needed IS overkill.

As for the torque requirement on the oil plug, if you don't know, you surely shouldn't be wrenching your own bike! Leave it to the pro's...that is what they are there for.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I prefer to follow the manufacturers recommendations when doing maintenance. There is method to their madness. The washer is a recommended replacement part ( check your service manual) that has a torque spec for it's associated bolt. So even if torqued to spec, Honda recommends replacement. So for $1.20........

·
Registered
50 Posts
its a 12mm washer if memory serves me.
Does anyone know if CTX2fer's memory is correct? Is the oil drain plug crush gasket/washer 12mm or some other inner diameter? I can't seem to find this anywhere...Wanted to have one on hand before I do the oil change.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I went downstairs and checked, it is a 12mm washer. I bought a pack of them from Cycle Gear, I have 5 left so the pack may have had 8 or 10 washers, the price tag shows $3.99 but I've had them a few years. you should be able to order online. The local shop calls the "crush washers".
I hope this helps.
Gary

·
Registered
213 Posts
OR like was mentioned above - no torque wrench or washer change.
In all my cars and bikes in the past 42 years of driving, I've only replaced my oil, never anyone else, and have had zero leaks and zero stripped threads.
And I keep my cars for many years and many miles.

Just wanted to throw that out there, If you torque your bolt or change your washer - good - I wont say anything about it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts