CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found a Japanese dealer that...offers TEST RIDES! I’m in trouble.

If anyone is local, and if this comes up in Google searches, I will do my best to make people aware and avoid at all costs HALLS MOTORSPORTS NEW ORLEANS. No, test rides is not the (only reason). But when THEY DO NOT TURN THE BIKE ON FOR YOU, telling you your trade is about to “blow up” because they do not want trades, when they quote you one price OTD, one min later they tell you 1000 dollars more, when the GM does not even say hi and just grabs your keys and bolts out... and I can go on and on... **** them.

So, what do I know... 37 miles away, a full, all makes, Japanese dealer offers test rides. Probably will have one tomorrow. Again, I’m in trouble. LOL.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
What bikes are you considering Evan?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What bikes are you considering Evan?
Actually 1 for now. KAWASAKI ZX-6R
Unfortunately not available in KRT edition colors. Just black... oh well.

But plenty on the list. Z900RS, Yamaha Tracer, I’m sorry to say, but the plain vanilla Honda does not work for me. It seems the price is there, with less features, Boring design, not updated models. It works for them I guess, so I don’t blame them.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Loved my test ride.... Helped me decide between two bikes......
Being a little long in the tooth, the Z900RS Cafe cranks my tractor. I’m interested in what you think of that bike

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Love the Honda dct tech. But imo their lineup is not very exciting. I'm a Honda fan, but there's alot more interesting stuff out there.

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
It isn't that Honda doesn't have impressive or exiting models, the problem is they don't make it over here. As I've previously noted, the US market is more or less just an after thought.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
Why go with the ZX6, instead of the 10? I'm guessing cost? 10 would be the better route to take if you are going to put the dough on a new bike, especially with your inventory. If you are going to get a sport bike, get THE bike.

Agreed, Honda's blow~

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cost above all. About 5K. But even that out of the equation... Looking for a track bike, that will also be ridden on the streets. The fun in the SuperSports 600cc is tremendous. The lower weight makes all the difference. And power is more than adequate. 130HP and 16K redline. I have been having a ton of fun on my 106HP street Triple with the higher handlebars and not the best of seating positions for the track. Despite that, I have been wearing the whole tire out. I can imagine the fun properly hanging off a proper track bike.

A 400 cc is in consideration too, since that will open access to weekly, and sometimes twice a week, track days at the smaller go cart at the race track.

The K1200S will have to go. 4 bikes and storage and maintenance is pushing it.

·
Registered
425 Posts

If anyone is local, and if this comes up in Google searches, I will do my best to make people aware and avoid at all costs HALLS MOTORSPORTS NEW ORLEANS. No, test rides is not the (only reason). But when THEY DO NOT TURN THE BIKE ON FOR YOU, telling you your trade is about to “blow up” because they do not want trades, when they quote you one price OTD, one min later they tell you 1000 dollars more, when the GM does not even say hi and just grabs your keys and bolts out... and I can go on and on... **** them.

So, what do I know... 37 miles away, a full, all makes, Japanese dealer offers test rides. Probably will have one tomorrow. Again, I’m in trouble. LOL.
Where you testing at? I'm about 90 miles north of you around McComb, Ms. We had some terrible weather around 11:30 this morning. Finally got power back on, but McComb has a bunch of lines down and trees down. My dogs got up in my lap and one of them was shaking. Almost made me shake. Looked outside and could only see about 10 feet due to rain and wind. But all good now.
David

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Where you testing at? I'm about 90 miles north of you around McComb, Ms. We had some terrible weather around 11:30 this morning. Finally got power back on, but McComb has a bunch of lines down and trees down. My dogs got up in my lap and one of them was shaking. Almost made me shake. Looked outside and could only see about 10 feet due to rain and wind. But all good now.
David
Friendly powersports in Slidell.
We are practically neighbors. I go often to past Folsom/Wilmer to visit my brother.
Nothing major happened here. Just a heavy gust of rain around 5pm.

·
Super Moderator
6,228 Posts
The weight isn't much difference, not unless you are actually racing for competition. Both are easily street capable. The 600 is only a hair more agile. Both can do any speed limit in first gear alone. The 10 is the same as the 6 but better in every way except weight which you will not see any way. If you are going to do it, than do it right as the saying goes.

Question #2: Why new? A vast amount of used bikes are plentiful, especially in the SS class. You would save many, many thousands! You can pick up used 600's all day long for 5k and 10's for 2-3 more. I would assume again, financing here?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The weight isn't much difference, not unless you are actually racing for competition. Both are easily street capable. The 600 is only a hair more agile. Both can do any speed limit in first gear alone. The 10 is the same as the 6 but better in every way except weight which you will not see any way. If you are going to do it, than do it right as the saying goes.

Question #2: Why new? A vast amount of used bikes are plentiful, especially in the SS class. You would save many, many thousands! You can pick up used 600's all day long for 5k and 10's for 2-3 more. I would assume again, financing here?
No, not financing.

What can I say... I’m a sucker for new. But for the life of me, I cannot find a used ZX-6R (past 2014) for less than like 7.5. Looking at cycle trader, 2015 and up are like 7.5, up to almost 9k, plus tax plus fees from dealers. A 2018 KRT ABS brand new at the shitty dealer is 8.6K. I can get it OTD for 9.8k. Or a 2019 black ABS for 10.8 from the other dealer. The 2019 has an OEM quick shifter, LED headlights, and fuel gauge, plus new body work. 3 to 3.5K more justify new, IMO. Also, I need to get rid of my K1200S. It is not selling here...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So, Test rode the 2019 in black today. All black is a deal killer. No idea why people like an all black bike. No accents whatsoever, you can’t make the beautiful shape of the bike.

Unfortunately it was raining. Still, I rode it. The bike is very streetable, by far more than a CBR or an R6; rolling from any gear easily, and not need to be high reved.

But I saw in person the GREEN Z900RS. If beautiful in pictures, it is breathtaking in person. I’ll be riding it when weather permits...

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well...
The moment I saw the Z900RS cafe in person... I was in love. So today it came home. In KAWASAKI Green awesomeness.

Props to FRIENDLY POWESPORTS SLIDELL for a no hassle deal, NO FEES, good price. AND ABOBE ALL, props on TEST RIDES. Everything I wanted. I did ride the new 765 Street Triple while I was waiting for paperwork. One thing I will say. The best bike ever is insane perfection in its 765 form. Pure riding bliss.

More to come.

Again... rides SELL BIKES.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Good choice EK!!!! Beautiful bike!!!

In my dream of dreams, Kawasaki would come out with a small “retro” bike that would remind me of my old GPZ, but in green. Kinda like the ol ZRX-1100 but smaller.
I love the looks of the 900 though.... How’s the acceleration?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good choice EK!!!! Beautiful bike!!!

In my dream of dreams, Kawasaki would come out with a small “retro” bike that would remind me of my old GPZ, but in green. Kinda like the ol ZRX-1100 but smaller.
I love the looks of the 900 though.... How’s the acceleration?
The bike is a blast, pulling like a catapult in every gear. 2900rpm already at above 62lbs Tq, for a max of 78lbs at 9200rpm. So the power band is everywhere.

Drops way down at above 9200rpm, and has a limiter at 10000rpm, (haven’t hit it yet,) but that is the nature of the bike. I got the Street Triple for my screamer fix. :D

It is surprisingly, crazy actually, quick handling. Aggressive geometry, for a 470LBS bike, it is as agile as the triple. The wide handlebar amplifies the inputs also. Just how I like it. But some caution is needed since it will just change direction in a snap, and flip on command.

Slipper clutch is great, traction control works also great (test rode in some minor wet streets.) I do need to lower the shifter a notch, and raise the brake pedal a little, as per others with the same complains.

Sound is intoxicating. By far the best looking exhaust on any stock bike, and by far the best sound on any stock bike. KAWA got it right.

It really is a no too many “frills” bike. Just the right amount of electronics, and to me, the perfect blend of traditional looks and modern technology. Not a fan of all retro bikes just for the looks - it is 2019, monoshock Triumph and Honda? Water cooled, Honda? Weight reduction, Honda? 140 rear tire on a fast powerful bike just to comply with the “retro” look, Honda? Tubeless tires, Honda and Triumph? Adjustable suspension?

Definitely not a fan of neo-retro Fugliness. Again, KAWASAKI nailed it with this one.

FYI, the dealer FRIENDLY POWERSPORTS experience was easy as it could be. I got 1.3K off on a 2019 that KAWA has 0 incentives, NO FEES, no setup, no freight and the rest BS. And again and again: I test rode 3 bikes. One just for fun, after we had made the deal. The 765 Street Triple is the best bike ever made, so far. And that says a lot, having a 675, which was the best till the 765 came out. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts