CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello CTX guys, back again! Wanted to make it short and sweet and most of the information is in the title anyway.
Well, the locksmith is coming out Tuesday to do his locksmith magic to produce a new key for my bike. He’s charging me about 130 quivles...
Though, I just thought of soemthing: all my locks from the ignition, seat, and bags take the same key, can’t I just physically take the saddle bags to the locksmith and have him charge me cheaper instead of him coming out to my house to make a key at a higher price? I’m assuming he’s charging that much because he has to come out to me. First time getting in this situation so some slack would be nice :p

I’ve heard you can “gut” the ignition to find a key code, but I’m not very hands on with that unfortunately...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
check your bikes serial number and call local Honda Dealership for key code and what they would charge in your area. They can produce key from the key code. Should be less that $130..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check your bikes serial number and call local Honda Dealership for key code and what they would charge in your area. They can produce key from the key code. Should be less that $130..
Shucks man, I already tried 3 Honda dealerships in my area and they said it’s impossible to do so. I tried arguing that there must be some sort of way to do so. But the only thing they claimed, was to dig in the ignition for the code and present a blank to the locksmith

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, my dealer told me the same thing when I was looking for the key code. I don't understand why Car Dealerships carry them, and Honda Motorcycle Dealerships don't... I'm planning on asking the Honda Car Dealer if they have, or can get, the key code, since it's the same company.

peaking as a former locksmith (went out of business 20 years ago) I don't think you can use your saddle bags. And I doubt the Seat lock will work for probably the same reason... They don't use all the wafers that are in the ignition.

I take it that your using Original Honda Saddle Bags, and they would have been like when I added a Honda Top Box to my PCX 150, where they included the lock and a wafer kit for the buyer to match the right wafers by fit and sight... So No Code. I'd have to look at my seat lock, but I doubt there will be a key code on it. As others have said, the key code can usually be found on the ignition, and they aren't real easy to remove...

I'd only done a couple Car Ignitions when I trained, and never a motorcycle ignition. But looking in the Service Manual I purchased on Amazon, I see you need to remove the Right Side Shelter, then some electrical connections, Center Shelter, Headlight Assembly, to get to the Ignition Switch Mounting Bolts. Now, I have SOME Idea how to do this... But I don't want to even try it on my own bike... And I too wanted my Key Code so I could have a 2nd Key cut by code because it only came with one key... I can, and have, had duplicates made, but duplicates are never exactly the same as the original, and if you start making duplicates off of duplicates, by the 5th to 10th generation, they won't work...

I was thinking about trying to remove the seat lock and see if it had a key code, because I know on cars you can also find the key code on the passenger door lock, even though they also don't have all the wafers that the ignition does... But the Seat Lock, and the Ignition would have both been installed at the Honda plant, so they could both have the key code.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, my dealer told me the same thing when I was looking for the key code. I don't understand why Car Dealerships carry them, and Honda Motorcycle Dealerships don't... I'm planning on asking the Honda Car Dealer if they have, or can get, the key code, since it's the same company.

peaking as a former locksmith (went out of business 20 years ago) I don't think you can use your saddle bags. And I doubt the Seat lock will work for probably the same reason... They don't use all the wafers that are in the ignition.

I take it that your using Original Honda Saddle Bags, and they would have been like when I added a Honda Top Box to my PCX 150, where they included the lock and a wafer kit for the buyer to match the right wafers by fit and sight... So No Code. I'd have to look at my seat lock, but I doubt there will be a key code on it. As others have said, the key code can usually be found on the ignition, and they aren't real easy to remove...

I'd only done a couple Car Ignitions when I trained, and never a motorcycle ignition. But looking in the Service Manual I purchased on Amazon, I see you need to remove the Right Side Shelter, then some electrical connections, Center Shelter, Headlight Assembly, to get to the Ignition Switch Mounting Bolts. Now, I have SOME Idea how to do this... But I don't want to even try it on my own bike... And I too wanted my Key Code so I could have a 2nd Key cut by code because it only came with one key... I can, and have, had duplicates made, but duplicates are never exactly the same as the original, and if you start making duplicates off of duplicates, by the 5th to 10th generation, they won't work...
extremely good point on the saddlebags not using the whole wafers. When I used the key to open the saddlebags, the key wouldn’t fully engage inside like how it did in the ignition. Kudos to you. Question: How is Mr. Locksmith going to use his “locksmith magic” to produce a new key? Is he going to remove the said things you mentioned to view the code on the ignition? Or do they have a special contraption? Genuinely curious.
So, stupid question: so when the key is made via the ignition, I can surely use that key to open the gas cap, saddlebags (OEM), and seat lock?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I think the mc dealers deny availability due to possible theft. If you can get the key code, Ace hardware does have ignition wafter keys; I don't know if they will have an mc key but it is possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK, I just called the local Honda Car Dealer, who said they couldn't get the key codes due to being different divisions. So I went to the official website at American Honda Motor Co., Inc. - Official Site, clicked for motorcycles which took me to Honda Powersports - Motorcycles, ATVs, Scooters, SxS then clicked Customer Support at the bottom of the page to get to Contact Us where I found their phone number (866) 784-1870 reachable only 8-4:30 PT and called it.

After multiple menu choices and listening to recorded messages, I got to find out that they don't carry the Key Codes...

Why Car Dealers can get the codes from the parent car company, but Motorcycles don't, I just don't understand...

Then I went and tried to remove the seat lock, only to find that the instructions in the Service Manual are apparently not complete, because it says to first remove the seat and then remove the lock mechanism. I can't even see the lock mechanism, which leads me to believe it is actually under the passenger grab handles and plate that would be removed during a saddle bag install...

So... My next step will be to see if a locksmith can decode my key and cut it by code (and give me the code for future need!), which if he can should cost between $20-$40. Or have the dealer remove the ignition for the code and replace it, which will probably cost me $200 in labor, just for the code!!! Then have a locksmith actually cut it. That should be around $20. Mind you, my locksmith estimates are about 20 years out of date... Could be a bit more if the industry standard has risen...

extremely good point on the saddlebags not using the whole wafers. When I used the key to open the saddlebags, the key wouldn’t fully engage inside like how it did in the ignition. Kudos to you. Question: How is Mr. Locksmith going to use his “locksmith magic” to produce a new key? Is he going to remove the said things you mentioned to view the code on the ignition? Or do they have a special contraption? Genuinely curious.
So, stupid question: so when the key is made via the ignition, I can surely use that key to open the gas cap, saddlebags (OEM), and seat lock?
Actually not a stupid question.

A locksmith would prefer you already had the key code, and he MIGHT attempt to remove the panels, but I doubt it, as he normally wouldn't have the Service Manual, and most riders don't have the Manuals either... At which point he would try to Impression the key. This is where he takes a key blank, sharpens it to a knife point with a flat file, and then holds the key with a pair of locking pliers (such as Vise Grips) and puts the key in the ignition and wiggles it back and forth. looks at it, sees where it is marked, and then uses another file (usually a pippen file) to file those spots down a little, then wiggles a bit more, checks for marks, files down again, rinse repeat, till he has a working key. It will usually work in the seat and saddle bags, but not always... he may then try to decode that key, and cut it by code, or just copy it onto a fresh blank. The impressed key, and all keys after that fall into not original and duplicates of them may not work, only the keys the locksmith leaves you with at that time guaranteed to be any good... If he successfully decodes the key and cuts it by code, then it should be just as good as an original...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the mc dealers deny availability due to possible theft. If you can get the key code, Ace hardware does have ignition wafter keys; I don't know if they will have an mc key but it is possible.
I don't think this is the case, or if it is, it makes no sense.

It isn't the dealers that have the codes (Filed under the VIN#) in the first place, it is the parent companies (For Cars, GM, Ford, Honda, etc. For Motorcycles, Harley Davidson, Honda, BMW, etc) who the dealers call (or use their company networks to access the info) after verifying ownership (I know my local Chevy/GM dealer asks for Registration or Title, Insurance Card, and Drivers License).

And according to Honda (Motorcycle division) Customer Support, They just don't keep them on file!

·
Registered
17 Posts
use that key to open the gas cap, saddlebags (OEM), and seat lock?

This just got me to thinking... I wasn't considering the Gas Cap! So I went out and pulled off the cap and looked at it. It has what MIGHT be a code! I will check with a locksmith tomorrow and see if the 6 character combination of letters and numbers actually are a code, and post an update tomorrow about it...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
About 8 years ago, I got a 1979 CB 750 10th year limited edition for peanuts, but the owner had no papers or keys; I solved the papers with a few trips to MTO, but once I got rid of 24 generations of mice nests, got the bike into neutral and pushed it about 2 km to my house I got to work on the ignition. It wasn't that hard to remove it and I took it to local Honda MC dealer. I think it cost me about $25 to get a new key from that. You will still have to get the panels off, but if you get the actual ignition to a dealership, they should be able to help you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This just got me to thinking... I wasn't considering the Gas Cap! So I went out and pulled off the cap and looked at it. It has what MIGHT be a code! I will check with a locksmith tomorrow and see if the 6 character combination of letters and numbers actually are a code, and post an update tomorrow about it...
I received a spare key from the previous owner with a small aluminum plate attached that has a code stamped in it. I am assuming this is the key code. The code is 8 digits consisting of 1, 2, and 3s. I looked at my gas cap and couldn't find any matching numbers.

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That aluminum tag should be the key code. If you have the spare key they should also be able to read the code off the key. Some hardware stores are able to do that as well.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This thread has me thinking. I received two keys for my 2014 and I keep one of the in my bike file. I think I will mark that key as original, make a copy or two from that to use, and return the original key to the file. That way I will always have an original key to duplicate should I somehow manage to lose three other keys. If I have the misfortune of having to dig around in the bike, I'll have to remember to copy down the ignition code and put that in the file as well.

Ain't motorcycles fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry, meant to post an update earlier than this...
The numbers on the gas cap were definitely not a keycode. So for an original, looks like pulling the ignition is the only way to get the code.

Again though, a locksmith can impression a key, then try to decode it and cut another by those cuts. Not a 100% way to do it, but alot less labor...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Start here....I bought spare blanks somewhere online and once you have the blanks any good locksmith can make you a key.
My local Ace store didn't have the right blank, so I took your advice and bought some online. Ace cut a couple of them for $1 each. After smoothing some rough edges, they work fine. Plan to make a short key that I leave in the gas cap, but will not work in the ignition or seat lock.

I have some extra blanks. Ilco X265 HD109. PM me if interested.

ilco key.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Holy-moly what a super late update! I really apologize about all this, life has been getting in the way lately but here I am now! It's good to be back and browsing, learning more things about my/our motorcycle.

Well, I called Honda Powersports at three different locations and they said they couldn't really do anything about it except purchase a blank from them I think? gosh, it was some time ago and since the matter was treated rather quickly, I forgot how the whole ordeal went. Anyway, I felt so bummed out and didn't know what to do from there, so I resorted to contacting a locksmith instead... I gave them my motorcycle information and showed them pictures of the keyhole. I asked if I can take the saddlebag but he said that if he were to make a key of the saddlebag, it won't turn on the engine of my bike. So, he made his trip over to my location and basically examined the keyhole with multiple blanks. Once he found the blank that worked, he crafted the key. Really nothing more than that except that I cant make a copy of the current key at any hardware store (I may try and get a copy somewhere pretty soon as a backup spare) This happened about 2 or 3 weeks after my OP and been riding since! I paid 150 quivels though so that was a bit stingy on my wallet. Oh well, I definitely learned my lesson and will do my best to not lose my key. I may just get airtags from Apple and put one on my motorcycle key just to prevent such an ordeal again. Thank you all for the suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Holy-moly what a super late update! I really apologize about all this, life has been getting in the way lately but here I am now! It's good to be back and browsing, learning more things about my/our motorcycle.

Well, I called Honda Powersports at three different locations and they said they couldn't really do anything about it except purchase a blank from them I think? gosh, it was some time ago and since the matter was treated rather quickly, I forgot how the whole ordeal went. Anyway, I felt so bummed out and didn't know what to do from there, so I resorted to contacting a locksmith instead... I gave them my motorcycle information and showed them pictures of the keyhole. I asked if I can take the saddlebag but he said that if he were to make a key of the saddlebag, it won't turn on the engine of my bike. So, he made his trip over to my location and basically examined the keyhole with multiple blanks. Once he found the blank that worked, he crafted the key. Really nothing more than that except that I cant make a copy of the current key at any hardware store (I may try and get a copy somewhere pretty soon as a backup spare) This happened about 2 or 3 weeks after my OP and been riding since! I paid 150 quivels though so that was a bit stingy on my wallet. Oh well, I definitely learned my lesson and will do my best to not lose my key. I may just get airtags from Apple and put one on my motorcycle key just to prevent such an ordeal again. Thank you all for the suggestions and advice.
Best way to think about it is that you paid $1 for the correct blank, and $149 for the craftsman to make the correct blank work. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts