CTX 700 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I ordered a bottle of Stabil to use it during the winter months. I go to the house almost every weekend, and I am planning on riding it each time (if there is no snow at all), if not, at least I will let it run at idle until the engine gets warm.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
CTXdock, can you please elaborate on your statement?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would like to know if I have to add anything to the gas tank on my CTX even if I am going to be riding it from time to time during the winter months? It will be parked inside my non-heated garage.

Since I used to have a heated garage in the past I never had the need to do this.

Thanks.
I have used Lucas conditioner in mine...Works great for Storage and cleans top- end components...Good product!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello to all and thanks for your advice, but to be honest I am confused. When I had my bikes parked in a heated garage I never added any Stabil/Seafoam to the gas tank and I never had an issue riding them during the winter. I am planing on using this one over the winter, and when I am not riding it is on the battery tender keeping the battery completely chaged. My bike does not go more than a month without been ridden. So my question remains: under these circumstances do I have to add gas stabilizer?
You will not have a problem.......with or without stabilizer. Been riding 55+ years and have stored my bike(s) under cover, but unheated for many, many Ohio winters. Never had a problem starting in the spring after sitting all winter, especially with fuel injection.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
407 Posts
I have a garage, non-heated but attached to my house, where my bike is parked. Other than connecting the battery to a tender, I rarely do anything with the bike over the winter besides occasionally (maybe once a month) taking it out for a quick ride to loosen the cobwebs, or as some others have recommended, just starting it and letting it run for 15-30 minutes in the (door open) garage. There may be ethanol-free gas to be found in Montgomery County, MD, but I have no idea where. Just running it every so often does the job.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Your engine needs to fully warm up (fully warm temp for many, many minutes), including the exhaust to burn off whatever moisture is in the system.
Also if your not using a battery maintainer the charging system needs to get your battery up to full charge.
Starting your bike in the winter and letting it warm up for a few minutes doesn't do either of those things.
In fact you'll cause more moisture in the system that way.
Then you'll post back - so I'll let it run for an hour or more and that should be good.
Sure go ahead, but why?
I wont start mine for the next 5-6 months and it ALWAYS is fine!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks a lot for your time answering my post, now I know what to do. I want to take the opportunity to wish you all Happy Holidays and safe routes for 2021.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I have a garage, non-heated but attached to my house, where my bike is parked. Other than connecting the battery to a tender, I rarely do anything with the bike over the winter besides occasionally (maybe once a month) taking it out for a quick ride to loosen the cobwebs, or as some others have recommended, just starting it and letting it run for 15-30 minutes in the (door open) garage. There may be ethanol-free gas to be found in Montgomery County, MD, but I have no idea where. Just running it every so often does the job.
According to this website, you cang get some locally at N &S Rentals / Ace Hardware at 19600 Frederick Road in Germantown or 60 other places in Maryland. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

helpful little site.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts