CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if I have to add anything to the gas tank on my CTX even if I am going to be riding it from time to time during the winter months? It will be parked inside my non-heated garage.

Since I used to have a heated garage in the past I never had the need to do this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm in the Buffalo, NY area and I do the same as Vulcan. My garage is attached to the house but not heated. Have a front and back garage door which are insulated so it stays warmer than out side temps throughout the winter, but it can still get cold.

Non ethanol fuel and Sta-bil Fuel stabilizer will go in this weekend after I run down my tank with these 60+ degree days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Non-ethanol fuel will last from 4 to 6 months in a sealed container, with ethanol, will last 2 to 3 months, so all above advice is spot on. On carbed bikes there is the option of emptying the tank and draining the carbs, but with FI, I would fill it up and use stabilizers. Luckily for me I can ride some during the winter (Upper South Carolina).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Living in PA, I find I rarely go a month without at least one good ride, but I've gone nearly 2 months without on one occasion. All I've ever done is add Stabil and fill the tank, ride a few miles to get the stabilizer through the injectors, and then into the unheated shed and on the battery tender. So far I have not had any problem with this, even using ethanol gas, but I'd recommend going with non-ethanol as others have said.

Interestingly, I do nothing to winterize my Honda mower and that thing fires right up each Spring.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Same here. Stabil in everything that sits.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
howdy and a buzz-o-th-tongue to ya
my daytime temps are down about 80 no with brrr temps in the 60s sometimes. but tha's where i live now. where i was, there was snow on the ground the last week of october. i kinda have to adapt to this northern negev desert. there has been two thunderstorms and that's refreshng for me who was born and raised where the average rainfall was 6 inches a year.
where i was, i put non-ethanol in whenever i thought the main riding season was done, or like one year when i knew i'd be away for three months. i also used the fuel treatment mentioned above quite often,
ken

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don’t know if it was made clear, but fill the tank completely so there is little air remaining. Moisture in the air will condense in cold weather. Ditto on fuel stabilizer.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Ryan Fort Nine for Transportation Minister!

Scary thought, our not so loved Canadian PM is looking to increase the Ethanol blend to 15%, and I have heard that Biden may be on the same wavelength: not good for bikers.

Stabil has been my go-to fuel protector, and I will continue to use it, along with Premium non-ethanol fuel when I shut down for the winter (hopefully not for another 4 weeks). I have used Seafoam to help clean out injectors, but never considered it for fuel stabilization.

This won't affect AThena, but apparently this wonderful prolonged (7 days) of well above average temperatures also happened in 1938, 53 and 75. I'm loving it! Wonderful trip along #7 to Marmora Friday.

Going out to run some errands tomorrow, so will load up my top box and take the bike.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Ryan Fort Nine for Transportation Minister!

Scary thought, our not so loved Canadian PM is looking to increase the Ethanol blend to 15%, and I have heard that Biden may be on the same wavelength: not good for bikers.

Stabil has been my go-to fuel protector, and I will continue to use it, along with Premium non-ethanol fuel when I shut down for the winter (hopefully not for another 4 weeks). I have used Seafoam to help clean out injectors, but never considered it for fuel stabilization.

This won't affect AThena, but apparently this wonderful prolonged (7 days) of well above average temperatures also happened in 1938, 53 and 75. I'm loving it! Wonderful trip along #7 to Marmora Friday.

Going out to run some errands tomorrow, so will load up my top box and take the bike.
15% ethanol will eat my car alive, never mind the MC.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
howdy, i guess this is their veiled way to force us to electric vehicles---no ethanol----not enough electricity to charge it either. transportation problem solved

ken

·
Registered
7 Posts
Electrics a great, electrics are fun, but what kept me from picking up a pre-owned Zero was the strong possibility of parts failure. Specifically: the on board charger. They pretty much all fail eventually, and at $800 plus labor cost to install, you are looking at around $1200 on a part that is guaranteed for 2 years. Of course you can go aftermarket and pick up a stand alone charger at $600. A used 2015 model is twice what I paid for my 2015 CTXn DCT, so there is that as well. Don't get me wrong, the Zero is a blast to ride, but I have more faith in my Honda than Zero at this point. Maybe in another 10 years from now.........

·
Registered
287 Posts
There is no difference between heated vs non-heated storage.
Its the storage that requires you to add Stabil/Seafoam to your gas - heated garage or not!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello to all and thanks for your advice, but to be honest I am confused. When I had my bikes parked in a heated garage I never added any Stabil/Seafoam to the gas tank and I never had an issue riding them during the winter. I am planing on using this one over the winter, and when I am not riding it is on the battery tender keeping the battery completely chaged. My bike does not go more than a month without been ridden. So my question remains: under these circumstances do I have to add gas stabilizer?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I quit adding fuel stabilizer a few years ago. It's expensive, too much info to digest and make a choice, and each product has it's good points and bad points.

·
Registered
167 Posts
"My bike does not go more than a month without been ridden. So my question remains: under these circumstances do I have to add gas stabilizer? " IMHO you are fine doing nothing if riding that often. That said, I still added Stabil to my bike when I was off of it for 3-4 weeks with broken arm. For me it is "Can't hurt, might help". Our tank is so small, a bottle of Stabil (the most highly regarded product) will last you all winter and then some.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks a lot, cjcintucson, now I think I got it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hello to all and thanks for your advice, but to be honest I am confused. When I had my bikes parked in a heated garage I never added any Stabil/Seafoam to the gas tank and I never had an issue riding them during the winter. I am planing on using this one over the winter, and when I am not riding it is on the battery tender keeping the battery completely chaged. My bike does not go more than a month without been ridden. So my question remains: under these circumstances do I have to add gas stabilizer?
If you won't go beyond a month without riding, you may not have a problem. The difficulties comes up if you get to a point, then you have a second or third month without riding and it is a bit late to go back and add stabilizer. Of course, if you don't have any ethanol in your fuel, you are better off and may not need it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts