CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled off all the lower plastic and plan to ride it a little more naked to see If I like it that way.

I will be easier to service now.

naked left s.jpg

naked right s.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I test drove one for the first time today. Looking at it I immediately wondered how it would look naked w/o all that plastic. How long would you earimate it took you to remove it all? Looks like it's just 2 or 3 hex bolts for each, but I know how honda does things sometimes to make it more complicated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like the look except maybe for the two "Frankenstein" electrodes thingies on each side near the top.

And it might be good to keep an eye on your coolant temps in hot weather; removing the plastic may allow air to flow around to the back side of the radiator, increasing the air pressure there and slowing the passage of air through the radiator.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the look except maybe for the two "Frankenstein" electrodes thingies on each side near the top.

And it might be good to keep an eye on your coolant temps in hot weather; removing the plastic may allow air to flow around to the back side of the radiator, increasing the air pressure there and slowing the passage of air through the radiator.

Those two things are what Honda put there to mount the plastic side panels to. Its funny that they used push in for those two spots and screws for the rest. So much for quick disconnect.

On a CTX you cant keep you eye on the coolant temp as there is no gage, just a light that flashes when it hits the dangerous high temp. I think if the fan is on there is no need to worry about backside air pressure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks pretty sharp! The wife was giving me trouble for taking parts off the bike a couple of weeks ago, but I guess I didn't go far enough. Rest of the plastic is definitely coming off.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks pretty sharp! The wife was giving me trouble for taking parts off the bike a couple of weeks ago, but I guess I didn't go far enough. Rest of the plastic is definitely coming off.
all mine is back on. One thing the plastic does do is keep dirt out more and it's easier to get the bugs off flat surfaces. The CTX is such a strange looking bike I don't think it's personality changes with or without plastic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This gives us some idea where to mount alternative hardware. Also, you are sure to confuse anyone who pulls up next to you with the confusion of hardware. You can leave them in your dust while they are still scratching their head.

·
Registered
18 Posts
More Naked

Bill, do you think with all that plastic off there is more drag and you've changed the airflow over the radiator? It may affect the gas mileage and cooling.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill, do you think with all that plastic off there is more drag and you've changed the airflow over the radiator? It may affect the gas mileage and cooling.

I really don't worry about drag with the CTX, It's power, being low will always be influenced by drag. The little bit of plastic and it's shape did little to promote less drag compared adding a windshield which I did. I stated why I put the plastic back on.

I ride when hot and get some slow traffic going home and the fan came on no difference with or without the plastic covers in place. I don't think heat has been or will be an issue with this bike. I have not seen any reports of it getting hot and besides since it is not a high performance engine it probably runs cooler than most.

by the way, gas mileage is not a big deal to me. my truck gets 14, my Cobra gets 18 so anything better on the CTX is like found money. Now, with my big windshield and saddlebags I have been getting about 56mpg with the fuel gage flashing around 145-155 miles.

·
Registered
975 Posts
by the way, gas mileage is not a big deal to me. my truck gets 14, my Cobra gets 18 so anything better on the CTX is like found money. Now, with my big windshield and saddlebags I have been getting about 56mpg with the fuel gage flashing around 145-155 miles.
That's a strange phenomenon. Someone who cares little about mpg ends up choosing one of the most fuel economical, mid-sized, gas powered rides ever built.

·
Banned
463 Posts
I don't think it's strange.
I'm getting a CTX for the fun and enjoyment and comfort factor. I haven't the slightest idea of the gas mileage I was getting on all the other bikes I had.

I'm sure there are folks that use a bike for commuting and gas mileage is a consideration when they look for this type of transportation.
Like they say "different strokes...."

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's a strange phenomenon. Someone who cares little about mpg ends up choosing one of the most fuel economical, mid-sized, gas powered rides ever built.
Clearly, he loves the looks! Good mpg is just a bonus.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

True ... a Strange phenomenon.
I was really searching for a replacement of my favorite bike. A Honda Hawk GT that was 25 years old, 400 pounds and 55 horsepower. Fuel mileage was not important but weight and power was. Around town and short trips I think the CTX is just as much fun as the Hawk. At 70mph the Hawk eats the CTX for lunch. I was hoping for a more equal comparison. I ride for pleasure and sometimes that includes riding to and from work and to the store. I still don't care if I get 55 or 75mpg ( I have gotten both at times on the CTX). I do enjoy the feedback of the gas gage as most of the bikes did no give you a clue how much gas was left unless you were forced to switch a valve to reserve. Because of the good gas mileage, I actually look at the gage before taking off estimating when and where I will need to gas up. It is possible not having a gage. The FZ-09 I have on order might get 40-45. That is fine because it has the same type of gas gage. I still don't care about the gas mileage and don't figure my mpg much anymore. So lucky I guess that I ended up with a bike that I still like to ride.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clearly, he loves the looks! Good mpg is just a bonus.

Looks of the CTX....yes, that style is unique. but beauty has always been
in the eye of the beholder. Many do like (maybe even love) the looks.

For me, It's looks are ok but has too much plastic covering a cheap frame and many components that would have to be mounted better if truly naked like the CB1100 . Honda did a good job without a lot of covers.

I am getting a new bike that I think looks more like my favorite bike. A gas tank that is a gas tank, a muffler that is tucked in out of the way (instead of a stovepipe) with less weight and almost no plastic covers and a good lightweight frame. Closer to being naked in my book. I can still ride the CTX. and never feel/felt that I had to hide my face with any crowd of biker.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks of the CTX....yes, that style is unique. but beauty has always been
in the eye of the beholder. Many do like (maybe even love) the looks.

For me, It's looks are ok but has too much plastic covering a cheap frame and many components that would have to be mounted better if truly naked like the CB1100 . Honda did a good job without a lot of covers.

I am getting a new bike that I think looks more like my favorite bike. A gas tank that is a gas tank, a muffler that is tucked in out of the way (instead of a stovepipe) with less weight and almost no plastic covers and a good lightweight frame. Closer to being naked in my book. I can still ride the CTX. and never feel/felt that I had to hide my face with any crowd of biker.

Thanks for your help Bill, enjoy the new forum!

·
Registered
975 Posts
I like the gas gauge too. In fact, except for the fact that there is "no water temp" gauge and no "ambient air temp gauge", it's just about as well-laid out as I could imagine for the rider. I like a the water temp, because I like to know when my ride or cage has warmed up to normal operating temperature. This is particularly important in my diesel car, because modern diesels should be driven conservatively until the coolant reaches at or about 140 degrees and many, smaller diesels are so thermally efficient that it takes some time to reach a safe temperature for more aggressive driving. With gas-powered vehicles, I like to also wait until I see some movement in the water temp gauge before I start hammering down. It's a good indication that all the systems have warmed up and safe to drive or ride normally.

On the CTX, it seems like the gas gauge gives pretty good feed back for maximizing range in a confident fashion, in that you go about the same amount of miles for each bar as long as you are getting approx. the same mpg. And the flashing bar is noticeable but not overwhelming and gives about the right amount of warning. Most times, I find myself riding about an extra 10-15 miles after the flash starts, and I'm topping up using about 2.6 gallons; meaning I'm not cutting it too close, but, on the other hand, I'm not stopping and topping up unnecessarily like I did for the first few months on my BV350. I'm also happy and surprised about the accuracy of the odometer and the speedometer, which one usually doesn't get with Asian and European products.

The scooter I owned had just about a worthless gas gauge. It would show that I had already burned 1/4 tank after just 20 miles, which was bogus. Then, instead of a flashing bar like the Honda has, a low-fuel light would come on when the gauge got down to about an 1/8 tank. Problem with that was I still had about 70 miles of safe range. When riding at night, the low-fuel light would nearly blind me, and I was considering covering it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts