CTX 700 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
shalom from Israel after my not minor stroke.

i' doing well and this is my first attemt to type with both hands, it' surprising what you need to re-learn after the stroke . i'm encouraging you to keep an keeping on but watch your balance lest the earth rise up and strike thee.

all the best to all of you
ken

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
it' surprising what you need to re-learn after the stroke . i'm encouraging you to keep an keeping on but watch your balance lest the earth rise up and strike thee.
Balance is my big concern, too. I count myself lucky that I didn't lose as much as I might have; my vision is my biggest concern, but my balance and lower endurance is what keeps me off the bike for the rest of 2021.

Like you, I temporarily lost the ability to control my hands to type. Luckily, I was typing like normal again after about a month. My vision has been getting better too, though much more slowly; I still have trouble seeing in the dark, and I have trouble processing too much visual information (I can't drive at night if it's raining, for instance). But I can drive in good weather, and the processing seems to be slowly improving too, so maybe by this time next year my visual processing will be back to normal.

Take your time, try not to be discouraged and let your body heal. It'll be worth the wait.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
So, here's December... and by January, I want to be ready and able to ride again (weather permitting). Serenity's been sitting in one place so long that I might need new tires by now, but everything else is ship-shape, and I have new riding gear to break in.

My plan is to restart my exercise program, concentrating on my legs (to hold the bike up at stops!) and my stamina (which is still a bit low). The good news is, my stamina has already improved, as demonstrated by my ability to walk all around at Rehoboth Beach and the shops today without getting prematurely tired. (I know, sounds kinda pathetic, but when you got tired after a 3-block walk 4 months ago, being able to walk around all day now is a big deal.)

But I still have vision processing issues to get over (or get used to), and I don't know what exercises I can do to fix that.

·
Super Moderator
1,062 Posts
Good luck to you Steve. Hopefully you will be fully recovered soon.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
shalom from haifa israel

it's goodj to have the hope. it get's a little discouraging when progress is slow but keep up the hopes and plans. my worry too is that my legs will give out on the steep hills here. i ride the bus mostly so have not bought a scoot yet. the problem then is that i would lite to go to the synagogue on saturday and the buses don't run so i am considering buying a small step through scooter. i had i had four of them over the years, the hd200 sym i had would do the job nicely. it would go 70 and get 80 mpg. with fuel here over ten dollars, that's a good thing.
i'm still struggling with the keyboard so am going to stop but i hope you don't stop getting better.

ken

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
HAPPY NEW YEAR! And my official riding moratorium is now over! I feel like my strength is back, and I've gotten mostly used to my eyesight changes, so I think I'm ready to get back on the road. The bike needs some attention first, though, a little wiring checking, gas refreshing and making sure the shoes haven't sat around too long in the garage.

And although my eyes are clearer, my night vision is still not great, so I need to find a pair of clip-on or fit-over glasses that improve night vision and reduce glare. My first pair ordered turned out to be garbage, so this is gonna take some time to find some decent glasses. (If anyone reading this knows some good options, please let me know.)

No rush, though; for one thing, it's raining, and I don't have any trips planned, so I can take my time getting ready to ride, then take some short experimental trips to get my riding legs back.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
HAPPY NEW YEAR! And my official riding moratorium is now over! I feel like my strength is back, and I've gotten mostly used to my eyesight changes, so I think I'm ready to get back on the road. The bike needs some attention first, though, a little wiring checking, gas refreshing and making sure the shoes haven't sat around too long in the garage.

And although my eyes are clearer, my night vision is still not great, so I need to find a pair of clip-on or fit-over glasses that improve night vision and reduce glare. My first pair ordered turned out to be garbage, so this is gonna take some time to find some decent glasses. (If anyone reading this knows some good options, please let me know.)

No rush, though; for one thing, it's raining, and I don't have any trips planned, so I can take my time getting ready to ride, then take some short experimental trips to get my riding legs back.
Happy New Year, Steve. Night vision issues affect me also, aging no doubt. My solution - drive or ride only in the daytime, if possible. I'm on my winter excursion to Hilton Head, SC,and don't have my CTX down here anyway. I ride an e-bicycle along the bike paths down here and my balance seems to be holding up. The exercise I get with the pedal-assist keeps the leg muscles strong too.;) Take it slow with your recovery. Glad you're coming along well.(y):)

Reactions: Steven Lyle Jordan

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Night vision issues affect me also, aging no doubt. My solution - drive or ride only in the daytime, if possible...
I heard that! I'm not planning anything other than day trips and short rides for now, so that won't be a problem. But as I've also commuted on the bike (and the work situation can change at any time), not to mention occasionally being out past my bedtime, I want to be assured that I can ride in the dark if I need to. I've been checking out night vision glasses; the first pair were yellow-colored garbage, we'll see how the next pair I order looks.

PSA Note: Eating more tree nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts) is good for vision, including night sensitivity. So is keeping your blood glucose down... but not too far down!

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Snow. This is why I didn't commit to a specific day to get back out on the road... I had a feeling I'd be sitting out the first few months of the new year due to the cold, anyway. Besides, I have some aux light wiring issues I want to check before I take Serenity out.

But I feel strong enough, and my vision has gotten stable enough and less than 5% static-y, so it's good for day riding at least. So I guess I'm just waiting for better weather.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Good news: The static that filled my vision every morning is mostly gone. I still don't have my full night vision back, and my visual processing is still a bit off, but I'm making good progress. I stopped looking for non-glare lenses, but with my vision improving, that's the least of my worries right now. Now I have to check my cold weather gear so I can make sure I'm ready for a few good rides.

I've also discovered that my ability to metabolize alcohol has taken a hit, so I've had to cut way back on booze in general. No big, but I'm gonna need a new go-to drink...

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Today I started up Serenity and put it back on the road. I didn't ride far, but I just wanted to make sure the gas hadn't gone stale and the tires were in good shape. To my LACK of surprise, Serenity ran smoothly, like it only benefited from a 7-month vacation, and a quick trip through the neighborhood felt great. But I was also glad to realize that my strength was back, my vision was clear, and I felt like I could ride all day. (We'll have to see how well I do at night, since my night vision is still a bit degraded.)

I bought a Corbin seat from another member a few months back, and its new position has me further back in the seat, where my knees tuck into the fairing for the first time. My torso is a little bit more forward, but if it gets awkward, I'll have a new set of bars put in. I also need to re-run my aux light wiring, since I'll need it for safer night riding at this point.

For now, though... I'm back on the road. And I appreciate all the well-wishes and support. Hope to see you all out there.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Today I was able to take a nice 2-hour ride in northern Maryland, trying out Google's new driving mode app, a Cardo Freecom 4+ and a new helmet. I haven't fully restored my peripheral vision and light sensitivity. Still, I was able to set my helmeet's sun visor at halfway down, allowing me to see my maps screen.

I have to be more careful, since my vision isn't at 100%, and I don't have the stamina I once had. But riding felt very comfortable. Based on today's ride, I think I can do a full-day trip. I may even do a multi-day trip (I bought saddlebags to go with my topcase, just have to work out the mounting setup). Riding feels good.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
7/24/22 update: Yesterday I had the chance to take the bike to a get-together about 20 minutes from my house. Not a long ride... but in Washington DC heat, the thermometer on the bike read 110 degrees. Good test for my tolerance to heat, which took a hit last year along with my strength.

Good news is, I got my ride in and handled the heat just fine, like I used to. That means my strength and tolerance for heat are 100% back to normal. At this point, the only lasting effects from last year's stroke is a degradation of my visual processing, which the doctors say probably won't return to 100%... but at 90-95% recovered, it's at an acceptable level.

Let's ride!

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Got in more of a touring ride today: My home, to Hagerstown MD, to Queens Castle PA and back home to Germantown MD... altogether about a full tank's ride, around 200 miles.

I had sun and good weather, nothing to slow me down... except my memory. See, my health setback basically erased my brain's internal map, and roads that I used to know like the back of my hand are gone now. I missed two turns I used to do in my sleep, adding miles to my trip. Good thing I wasn't trying to make time.

I was also having issues with Google Maps; lately it has trouble orienting itself, and it frequently shows me driving sideways and even backwards! Gotta figure out if I can update or reload it or something to straighten that out. And I was having trouble seeing the screen, again, thanks to the health setback. So I'm letting Maps speak, giving me vocal directions for the first time in ages.

But Serenity didn't care. "Miss a turn? That's okay, I can do this road. And this one. Knock yourself out!" I did highway, state roads and a few neighborhoods with equal ease. And I felt strong, taking highways and byways with no trouble.

At 200 miles, this was a light touring day. I just need to make time for some more long trips now.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
mr jordan
i wish i was back as good as new/you
i know just what you mean as far as get lost and disoriented. i was a truck driver and never felt lost. north was north and the rest was automatic but now i have no idea where west is just 'caosi i know north.
i wish you continued getting weller and weller
ken

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
mr jordan
i wish i was back as good as new/you
Well, having holes in my memory isn't great. But if that's the biggest problem I have... I take comfort in the fact that I can still hold the bike up and ride... even if I don't remember or recognize all the roads I've been on.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Got in more of a touring ride today: My home, to Hagerstown MD, to Queens Castle PA and back home to Germantown MD... altogether about a full tank's ride, around 200 miles.

I had sun and good weather, nothing to slow me down... except my memory. See, my health setback basically erased my brain's internal map, and roads that I used to know like the back of my hand are gone now. I missed two turns I used to do in my sleep, adding miles to my trip. Good thing I wasn't trying to make time.
Sounds like you had a great trip. I have been clipping photocopies of maps to the Madstad inner plastic to show major roads to turn on. Old tech works well.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Sounds like you had a great trip. I have been clipping photocopies of maps to the Madstad inner plastic to show major roads to turn on. Old tech works well.
Up until now, my memory was my old tech! I supplement it with Google Maps, but even that's a bit of an issue, because my setback affected my vision, and I can't see the Maps screen as well as I used to. (Mebbe I need a bigger phone...)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts