CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alas, I was expecting to get in a few more nice day trips in this summer, especially between the weeks when I was changing jobs. But, as often happens in life, I had an unexpected medical setback in July... a mild stroke (if you can call any kind of a stroke mild). Being stuck in a bad neck position for a few hours on a weekend vacation, later caused an artery in my neck to be pinched off, which I discovered weeks later to have caused a bona-fide stroke.

Obviously I'm still with us... but with damage. A lot of it is to my visual system: My eyesight is a bit darker, and my left side peripheral vision and ability to interpret objects is a degraded work in progress. I also lost some strength in my legs and overall, which may take as much as a year to fully recover with exercise. I already exerted myself too much taking a short bicycle ride last weekend, and collapsed in the heat after the ride. (And I mean literally collapsed: One minute I'm leaning against a car catching my breath after the ride... next thing I know, I'm sliding off the car and faceplanting in the driveway. Good thing my wife was there to pick me up. Here, take my man cards... take the whole deck...)

So I'm not getting near Serenity for a while, maybe not until 2022, depending on how long it takes until my strength builds up. I mean, falling over after a bicycle ride is one thing, losing it on a motorcycle is another. I'm not taking the chance.

But I wanted everyone to know I'm still around, I still have Serenity, and hope to get back on her in a few month... well, maybe next year. I'll still be around on the forum too, just maybe keeping a low profile. Keep 'em rolling.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Take your time and heal up, Steve. Meantime, we still welcome hearing your advice and expertise on the Forum threads.
Take care. (y)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Live vicariously through the others on the forum while you take all the time you need to heal. We will still be here supporting you where we can.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
howdy from a fellow stroke survivor. what you mentioned about visual distuebances ring a bell because it was my first hint that something was going on i made at about three steps and dont remember passing out but remember waking up and still able to call the ambulance. my balance is still compromised and right side weak and rotater cuff torn up when i fell. but i have recovered good speech and hope to be able to drive soon. riding motorcycle may not happen.
keep on keeping on and shareing two wheeling tips.
ken

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never passed out: I had my circulation cut off by an artery in my neck after pulling it a few days before. I felt my legs go numb and tingly the first times, but it took I think 4 times (and 2 weeks) when I realized my peripheral vision was compromised on one side... that was my first indication of something seriously wrong.

Sure enough, when I went to see an ophthalmologist about my peripheral vision, he diagnosed the stroke and told me to go straight to a hospital. Total time between first incident and walking into a hospital: 3 weeks.

Based on a bicycling trip, I'd say my balance is fine. But until I get my strength back, I'm staying away from my CTX.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
howdy from a fellow stroke survivor. what you mentioned about visual distuebances ring a bell because it was my first hint that something was going on i made at about three steps and dont remember passing out but remember waking up and still able to call the ambulance. my balance is still compromised and right side weak and rotater cuff torn up when i fell. but i have recovered good speech and hope to be able to drive soon. riding motorcycle may not happen.
keep on keeping on and shareing two wheeling tips.
ken
Sorry to hear about your experience but glad that you are on the mend. If you can't ride motorcycles, and have balance problems, have you considered NASCAR racing? constant turns to the left....

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the well wishes! I'm concentrating on rehabilitation for now, getting my strength back up, and improving my peripheral vision. The fats in nuts and eggs are supposed to be good for vision, and dark chocolate is good (and healthier than milk chocolate overall). I'm also practicing visual therapy, for now just testing myself on what I'm seeing on my left in the hopes that it will improve over time. That includes watching videos of motorcycle rides, concentrating on the visuals going by on the left side. Really, it's supposed to help. Maybe by next summer I'll be able to get back in the saddle again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Best of luck for a thorough recovery!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Alas, I was expecting to get in a few more nice day trips in this summer, especially between the weeks when I was changing jobs. But, as often happens in life, I had an unexpected medical setback in July... a mild stroke (if you can call any kind of a stroke mild). Being stuck in a bad neck position for a few hours on a weekend vacation, later caused an artery in my neck to be pinched off, which I discovered weeks later to have caused a bona-fide stroke.

Obviously I'm still with us... but with damage. A lot of it is to my visual system: My eyesight is a bit darker, and my left side peripheral vision and ability to interpret objects is a degraded work in progress. I also lost some strength in my legs and overall, which may take as much as a year to fully recover with exercise. I already exerted myself too much taking a short bicycle ride last weekend, and collapsed in the heat after the ride. (And I mean literally collapsed: One minute I'm leaning against a car catching my breath after the ride... next thing I know, I'm sliding off the car and faceplanting in the driveway. Good thing my wife was there to pick me up. Here, take my man cards... take the whole deck...)

So I'm not getting near Serenity for a while, maybe not until 2022, depending on how long it takes until my strength builds up. I mean, falling over after a bicycle ride is one thing, losing it on a motorcycle is another. I'm not taking the chance.

But I wanted everyone to know I'm still around, I still have Serenity, and hope to get back on her in a few month... well, maybe next year. I'll still be around on the forum too, just maybe keeping a low profile. Keep 'em rolling.
Hope you're recovering well, Steve!

·
Premium Member
139 Posts

Thanks for mentioning your medical condition. It gives us a reminder that as we get older, to pay attention to problems our body might be signaling.
Hope you have a quick recovery.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hope you're recovering well, Steve!
Yes, I'm making progress. I've gotten most of my strength back, though my endurance is a bit lagging. My eyesight still needs work, things are still darker than they should be, but it's gotten a bit better. I expect to be ready to start riding again in the spring (I'll sit winter out).

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm already prepping for riding in 2022, exercising to get my strength back up, and buying a few goodies for me and for Serenity. The exercise is key: My endurance is weak, and I don't want to pull over and just fall over! I've also got a bit of wiring work to do for my auxiliary lights, which I may need more now than I did before.

But I'm not gonna push it; I'm feeling better, but I'm staying home for the rest of the year, no matter how good I may feel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts