CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Naked
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed aftermarket horns on my 700N and something blew out. Fuses are so small that they don’t “pop” but I did hear a pop sound. All lights are out. It does start but no signals, dash, brake or tail lights. I checked all the fuses and the continuity in the three relays.All ok! Are there more relays or fusible links that I missed?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I installed aftermarket horns on my 700N and something blew out. Fuses are so small that they don’t “pop” but I did hear a pop sound. All lights are out. It does start but no signals, dash, brake or tail lights. I checked all the fuses and the continuity in the three relays.All ok! Are there more relays or fusible links that I missed?
Use the link I attached to my previous reply concerning the horn to download the service manual PDF. On page 23-3 is the wiring diagram. Bottom right corner shows the fuses. You are looking for circuit or fuse # 6 7.5A ILLUMI/STOP/ HORN). This is the circuit you are looking to chase down on the diagram. Look on top of the fuse box cover and you will see the 7.5A ILLUMI/STOP/ HORN fuse position identified and flip the lid over and there are spare fuses secured underneath it. I would disconnect all of the horn wires to the relay so it does not interfere in getting the circuit back up. Sounds like only the 7.5 fuse should be blown. I would physically pull it out and test it or replace it with a known good one. If that doesn’t work turn the key on and check for voltage on both sides of the fuse. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2014 Naked
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use the link I attached to my previous reply concerning the horn to download the service manual PDF. On page 23-3 is the wiring diagram. Bottom right corner shows the fuses. You are looking for circuit or fuse # 6 7.5A ILLUMI/STOP/ HORN). This is the circuit you are looking to chase down on the diagram. Look on top of the fuse box cover and you will see the 7.5A ILLUMI/STOP/ HORN fuse position identified and flip the lid over and there are spare fuses secured underneath it. I would disconnect all of the horn wires to the relay so it does not interfere in getting the circuit back up. Sounds like only the 7.5 fuse should be blown. I would physically pull it out and test it or replace it with a known good one. If that doesn’t work turn the key on and check for voltage on both sides of the fuse. Hope this helps.
I’ve done all the above even replacing the fuses which tested good. I have a shop manual and have verified my actions. Still, no lights.
I have a shop manual and have thoroughly tested the fuses as well as the 30A main. The relays have continuity. Still, no lights.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Electricity Wire

I went so far as to replace the fuses even though they tested good. Thanks!
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Electricity Wire

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
It is reasonable to assume that something you did created this issue.

So I would disconnect any changes you made. If that doesn't work, try maybe swapping the fan relay in for the OP relay.

Disclaimer: Not an electrician.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Sorry!! Thought you had a DCT model. Noticed in your pic’s your missing ½ your fuses. DCT / ABS has 11 fuses. See page 23-2 wiring diagram. Follow fuse #4 7.5A ILLUMI/STOP/ HORN) into and out of the fuse box. If you have no voltage at the #4 fuse with key on, back track the power coming into the fuse box to fuse #4. It appears power to the fuse box comes straight off the 30amp main with no fusible links.

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Unfortunately that Pink/Blue wire from fuse 4 goes to a junction block and feeds 4 other circuits.

So if that fuse isn't, and wasn't blown, then maybe something you wired up is back feeding the Pink/Blue wire. That would probably be the best case scenario.

·
Registered
2014 Naked
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Unfortunately that Pink/Blue wire from fuse 4 goes to a junction block and feeds 4 other circuits.

So if that fuse isn't, and wasn't blown, then maybe something you wired up is back feeding the Pink/Blue wire. That would probably be the best case scenario.
I’ve replaced the stock horn and wires. All the fuses test good. At this point, I just want to pound my knees with a hammer so I won’t want to ride.

·
Registered
2014 Naked
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Where is that junction box located? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
No idea :(

Pull the #4 fuse, and connect ohm meter between the hot side (pink/blue) at fuse box and horn connector.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts