CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The upper back shoulder area of my good shirts are getting picked and ruined by the mesh in my jacket. No problem in the winter when the liner is in place. A vest would solve it, but I don't want to lose airflow.

My chaps have a summer airflow liner that protects my pants quite well in addition to keeping the chaps cool.
Anyone have a jacket with a summer airflow liner? What brand?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I guess being in PA, how much of the year do you ride without the liner. Then how much does the vent on the upper back shoulder really cool you. Then, how much do you love this jacket. If I really like the jacket (and I don't think that vent does that much good) I would get my wife or a seamstress to put some soft cloth, cotton, patches over those vents to make that area smooth and save your shirts. Just an idea.

·
Registered
313 Posts
This does not answer your question directly, but the Klim mesh has a very smooth interior and flow a ton of air. They are not cheap but very good jackets. However, Klim does not include liners, rain or ortherwise, with many of thier jackets over the last few years. Maybe a summer jacket purchase? I am probably stating the obvious...apologies if that is the case...best intentions only.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The upper back shoulder area of my good shirts are getting picked and ruined by the mesh in my jacket. No problem in the winter when the liner is in place. A vest would solve it, but I don't want to lose airflow.

My chaps have a summer airflow liner that protects my pants quite well in addition to keeping the chaps cool.
Hmmm, and I thought it was something at work making my shirts look bad. Now I will have to investigate this too.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a valid reason to buy more motorcycle gear. :D
Yes, more gear, but what?
Anyone know a supplier of high airflow mesh vests? Ultra-lightweight shoulder shawl?

I mean, common, those guys sell tonnes of winter liners when they know most bikes are parked in the winter. Can't they put some of that manufacturing and salesmanship into something useful in the summer when more of us ride? Did they do it and I just haven't found it yet?

Crickets?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess being in PA, how much of the year do you ride without the liner. Then how much does the vent on the upper back shoulder really cool you. Then, how much do you love this jacket. If I really like the jacket (and I don't think that vent does that much good) I would get my wife or a seamstress to put some soft cloth, cotton, patches over those vents to make that area smooth and save your shirts. Just an idea.
That sounds like a great idea, Maybe I could even take some material from one of the lighter weight damaged shirts, or half a new undershirt.

To answer: I ride all year round.
I had been going without about May-ish through September-ish only using the liner when cold because it's quite warm. The model I have without the liner really gives a cooling effect allowing air throughout. It has no vent openings, just a little warmer around where the back protector blocks air flow. I could easily put the liner in now and take it out later next year, but June through August in PA can be in the 90's and tickle triple digits sometimes.

Some here park it a month or two when it's too hot, but I hope to find a solution. I bought this in stead of a "work car" for commuting and I only take our family van when it's raining in the morning or forecast to snow any time of day.

I simply had not realized my shirts were getting picked till a few weeks ago, but my wife says she could tell and has retired a few each year.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This does not answer your question directly, but the Klim mesh has a very smooth interior and flow a ton of air. They are not cheap but very good jackets. However, Klim does not include liners, rain or ortherwise, with many of thier jackets over the last few years. Maybe a summer jacket purchase? I am probably stating the obvious...apologies if that is the case...best intentions only.
Obvious if you know them, maybe, I've never heard of Klim. I really like my Bilt for how cool it feels, but if I keep feeding it shirts it will cost more than a new jacket. If a sew in or removable liner adds too much heat I'll try to find a Klim for the next summer season.

Thanks,

·
Registered
243 Posts

RevZilla has a good selection of mesh jackets see the Rev-It Air flow 2 and the Joe Rocket Jackets with soft air flow ployester soft liners. I has the Fly Jacket and it is a little rough inside so I always wear a soft cotton long sleave tee. I am thinking of going with one of the above...but check out all their jackets for hot weather...great selection and good company.

·
Registered
313 Posts
time for a quality jacket
have had a Joe Rocket mesh for a couple years-never a problem.
Klim is good if your wallet is thick enough
Klim has come down quite a bit in price. About 350 for an Induction...same abrasion resistant, lightweight, mesh as the rest of their models. Not much more than most. But they still have those 800 to 2000 dollar models too. Klim feels like the weight of windbreaker when you are wearing it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your very first post was a link to your own website. And I checked, didn’t see any motorcycle specific gear (at least at first glance). So, spam.
No dear I'm not put any spam, I'm talking about (Augusta Sportswear 3500-C Avail Jacket) This jacket is also similar to motorbike jacket you can see again if I'm wrong, and I'm also wear this jacket when I go for a ride.

·
Registered
865 Posts
No dear I'm not put any spam, I'm talking about (Augusta Sportswear 3500-C Avail Jacket) This jacket is also similar to motorbike jacket you can see again if I'm wrong, and I'm also wear this jacket when I go for a ride.
A similar style will disintegrate in a slide, wearing that for protection is like not even wearing a helmet.... Motorcycle specific is all you should be wearing as it is designed and made to protect the rider in a crash/slide from road rash. Cheap knockoff lookalikes do not have the appropriate level of stitching to keep the various panels together, typically do not have the correct material and/or thickness of leather. Proper motorcycle jackets also have inserts available for additional CE rated impact guards.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Straight up spam

1 - 20 of 22 Posts