CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On October 1st, I pulled the trigger on a demo 2019 Can Am f3 limited. Got a great deal ,6k off list and it only had 100 miles on it. Went down to des Moines to trailer it back. Of course I put it away for winter storage at the end of October so maybe have about 300 miles on it when I pick it up in the spring. I'd been eying them for awhile. Because of covid, production was way down so demos were hard to find. And whatever new stock there was there was no negotiating on them because of scarcity. So I ran across that one, knew production for 2021 wasn't going to be much better so figured this would be my only chance at any kind of deal for perhaps a couple of years. Earlier in July I could've gotten a better deal on a demo but I missed 2 of them over a couple days. Somebody snagged those right away. This one was used for rider training so the sales manager marked it as sold for me in the system so it wouldn't even show up when it was returned at the end of September. That was nice of him to do that.

I didn't trade the C in. They were a Honda dealer too and knew how slow the C sold. Plus they didn't want it to store over the winter and told me flat out I'd be mad over what he'd offer me. So I kept it. It's paid off, I have no other costs in it except insurance. I'm glad I do have it because after the Spyder went into storage we had a nice run of fall weather and rode the C until my last ride for the season on Dec 10th. Took it out for a good 2 hour lap, came home and she went nighty night.

I'll ride it next year too, so that's not a big deal. It'll be nice though not to get all fully geared up just to go to the grocery store 3 miles away.

So that's what I done. I got a great deal on it so since it was in my future anyway figured it was the right deal at the right time.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
howdy and congrats
it sounds like a leap forward to me and i hope you really enjoy the differences between the two vehicles and get joy out of both.
ken

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
On October 1st, I pulled the trigger on a demo 2019 Can Am f3 limited. Got a great deal ,6k off list and it only had 100 miles on it.
Sounds nice! I plan on doing the same; keep the CTX and pick up a Can-Am. I retired almost 2 years ago with the wife to follow in about another year. I'll continue to use the CTX on solo rides with my buddy and use the Can-Am when taking our wives on longer rides. Can I ask what you paid for the trike?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Congrats, @Mdaniels4!! Hoping you -- and I -- made a good choice.

I picked up a 2016 F3-S about 3 weeks ago. I kept my beloved CTX700N, too! It was worth far more to me to keep it than to trade it for a pittance. Plus I'm not ready to give up 2-wheeling.

Mostly this is to satisfy my curiosity. My husband is SO pleased with his Spyder. I've put a hundred or so miles on it myself, and was beginning to enjoy it. Maybe it'll get me out on the road even more!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats, @Mdaniels4!! Hoping you -- and I -- made a good choice.

I picked up a 2016 F3-S about 3 weeks ago. I kept my beloved CTX700N, too! It was worth far more to me to keep it than to trade it for a pittance. Plus I'm not ready to give up 2-wheeling.

Mostly this is to satisfy my curiosity. My husband is SO pleased with his Spyder. I've put a hundred or so miles on it myself, and was beginning to enjoy it. Maybe it'll get me out on the road even more!

View attachment 87554
love that color!! My wife has an 18 rt limited dark in that color. Mine is the pearl white/dark. Wasn't my favorite choice but it's grown on me in the month that i have had it. I had no choice because it was a demo,the only one. Congrats on your f3s! I really wanted to like the rt but it simply doesn't fit me. Neither the 18 or the new design 20. The f3 just felt more comfortable than the rt. On the rt i felt perched on the seat. The f3 is more nestled in with the bike. Probably because I'm so used to the foot forward seating on the C. And the f3 throttle response is much faster off the line than the rt. Enjoy your f3s, Christine!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds nice! I plan on doing the same; keep the CTX and pick up a Can-Am. I retired almost 2 years ago with the wife to follow in about another year. I'll continue to use the CTX on solo rides with my buddy and use the Can-Am when taking our wives on longer rides. Can I ask what you paid for the trike?
That's what I plan on doing with it too. The guys I ride with all are on two. Although we now have 6 Spyder's in the group out of 15. So when I feel like it I have the option now. Good because we went on a group ride in late September and had to ride two up on my wife's Spyder because my only ride was the c and the battery was dead. I'd tested out my heated gear the night before and the gerbing heat controller did not light up so I must have left it on and drained the battery. So at least I was able to at least go. My wife was nice enough to switch off driving. Next august were doing an extended group ride to the MI UP. This time I'll take the Spyder and she'll have hers.

I paid 19.8 for this one. Earlier in July the 2 I lost out on, here in MN were in the 18.5 range. But prices had increased because of scarcity and it was hard to find any at all. I had told the salesman that i was ready to buy a demo, here, but he never called me when they were ready to move them. On cycle trader I did see 2 , one in WA and another in TX for around 19k. But those were too far away from me anyway.

·
Registered
895 Posts
love that color!! My wife has an 18 rt limited dark in that color. Mine is the pearl white/dark. Wasn't my favorite choice but it's grown on me in the month that i have had it. I had no choice because it was a demo,the only one. Congrats on your f3s! I really wanted to like the rt but it simply doesn't fit me. Neither the 18 or the new design 20. The f3 just felt more comfortable than the rt. On the rt i felt perched on the seat. The f3 is more nestled in with the bike. Probably because I'm so used to the foot forward seating on the C. And the f3 throttle response is much faster off the line than the rt. Enjoy your f3s, Christine!
I know what you mean about the RT seating position. It's not my cup of tea, either.

I had to have both the handlebars and the brake pedal rod changed to get this F3-S to fit me -- the original owner was, I'm told, about 6' 3" tall -- but a nice thing about the F3 design is that these things can be changed up.

Wishing you much happy riding on your new Spyder, @Mdaniels4! Share a picture when you've got one, OK?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Congrats, and that is what I would do except for one thing (well, maybe 2). I am holding out for that kind of thing until my strength and balance go away. There is only one dealer in town that works on CanAms and I absolutely will not do business with them-too many bad experiences by myself and others. Also, work done on CanAms is pretty pricey and I found a couple years ago an independent mechanic that is as honest as the day is long and will work on japanese bikes. So... My plan when the body falls apart is adding a Tow-Pac 3 wheel kit on the beloved CTX DCT. When I can't handle that, it will be time to quit.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Congratulations to both of you! I wanted to by the RT or F3 in a Ltd. trim also. But I wanted to sell both the VFR and the CTX as garage space is limited. I have another scooter (project) and am buying a golf cart. So the wife was completely down with going that route and then we had a spectacularly beautiful ride through one of the national forests here. As soon as she took her helmet off she said she is just not ready to get rid of her bike yet. Anyhow, I am really interested in learning more about your experiences with the CanAm. I understand the new frame and engine are absolutely transformative from earlier iterations in a very positive way (not that prior models were bad...just that this change is really positive). Anyhow, congratualtaions again!!

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks,MZ. My wife's first one was a 2012 rt limited. 998 rotax engine, 5 speed. In 14 they went with a 1330 cc engine and a 6 speed. That smoothed out the engine, that extra gear was really needed. When you cornered it it was like a snowmobile where you felt it wanted to toss you off on the high side. It wouldn't but you took the curves slower. In 18 they changed the suspension or some front geometry because that change took away almost all of that , planting it more firmly into the curves. My speed through the curves increased a lot because of that change.

She wasn't interested in trading but when I told her about my test ride she tried it too and she made a deal for it on the spot. It was that noticeable. In fact a buddy bought a 17, and traded it on an 18 because of it. Lost his shirt on the deal. LOL! He bought a 2021 from the same dealer about a month before me. The mpg got better too. Her 12 got about 36. The new ones get up to about 42 if you take it easy. Otherwise about 38 is normal now. A lot less than the C but respectable for a bike this large and heavy, almost 1000 pounds. The reverse gear is a godsend. Plus cruise,radio and heated grips. The stock screen is small but surprisingly effective. I did replace it with a much larger one for a bit better rain protection.

The f3 still has a bit of that reverse lean, but much less than the 12 RT. I test rode a 17 f3 and the 19 feels the same to me. But it makes it more fun too. The rt is more like a Cadillac and the f3 like a Camaro. Same power, different ride and handling. The f3 also has a better throttle response. My wife noticed that when she took mine out when I brought it home. The f3s has an even better throttle and suspension for fun. Christine is going to love pushing that one through the curves.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Thanks for posting the interesting video Vulcan. I always enjoy Ryan's delivery.
Me too. I have spent a fair bit of time looking at his videos. Got cursed with constant ad interruptions, but I seem to have found a way to override them. I'm in the market for a new helmet, so was checking those out. I found his history of the Can Am bikes to be fascinating.

·
Registered
268 Posts
On October 1st, I pulled the trigger on a demo 2019 Can Am f3 limited. Got a great deal ,6k off list and it only had 100 miles on it. Went down to des Moines to trailer it back. Of course I put it away for winter storage at the end of October so maybe have about 300 miles on it when I pick it up in the spring. I'd been eying them for awhile. Because of covid, production was way down so demos were hard to find. And whatever new stock there was there was no negotiating on them because of scarcity. So I ran across that one, knew production for 2021 wasn't going to be much better so figured this would be my only chance at any kind of deal for perhaps a couple of years. Earlier in July I could've gotten a better deal on a demo but I missed 2 of them over a couple days. Somebody snagged those right away. This one was used for rider training so the sales manager marked it as sold for me in the system so it wouldn't even show up when it was returned at the end of September. That was nice of him to do that.

I didn't trade the C in. They were a Honda dealer too and knew how slow the C sold. Plus they didn't want it to store over the winter and told me flat out I'd be mad over what he'd offer me. So I kept it. It's paid off, I have no other costs in it except insurance. I'm glad I do have it because after the Spyder went into storage we had a nice run of fall weather and rode the C until my last ride for the season on Dec 10th. Took it out for a good 2 hour lap, came home and she went nighty night.

I'll ride it next year too, so that's not a big deal. It'll be nice though not to get all fully geared up just to go to the grocery store 3 miles away.

So that's what I done. I got a great deal on it so since it was in my future anyway figured it was the right deal at the right time.
LOTS OF LUCK WITH IT...SAFE RIDING

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I took a test ride on a 900cc Can Am Ryker....wow thing bout bucked me off LOL too much power for too light of a bike...reminded me of the ride I took on a Honda 750-4 when they first came out and the thing drove right out from under me....

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took a test ride on a 900cc Can Am Ryker....wow thing bout bucked me off LOL too much power for too light of a bike...reminded me of the ride I took on a Honda 750-4 when they first came out and the thing drove right out from under me....
LOL!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts