CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just joined this morning. Been looking at these for a while because I ain't young (71) and left wrist is bad. Currently ride a 2016 Can Am Spyder Semi Auto, but miss riding a 2 wheel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Welcome aboard the board BB. I assume Bangor Maine ... not Wales?

I suggest you also look at maxi-scooters too. No swinging your leg over the seat with those step through designs and no left hand clutch to fuss with and continue aggravating your left wrist.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Just joined this morning. Been looking at these for a while because I ain't young (71) and left wrist is bad. Currently ride a 2016 Can Am Spyder Semi Auto, but miss riding a 2 wheel.
Well, I'll be 80 in June, God willing. I quit riding two wheels about 10 years ago when left hand arthritis made clutch operation inconsistent and painful. Four years ago I tried the CTX with DCT, and jumped back into riding. I tried the Can Am Ryker, but decided three wheels didn't do it for me. I'm still loving the CTX. Give it a try. By the way, at 71, you're still a youngster on this forum..:giggle:

·
Registered
836 Posts
Welcome! The CTX is a cheap investment with a very high smiles per dollar ratio.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you like two wheels this is the bike for you, I never rode a motorcycle until I was 75 years old, I’m now 81, started out with a 2015 ctx dct new it had 31,000 on it when I traded it in on 2018 new and now have 22,000 on it

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Welcome! Honda's DCT is truly a milestone for motorcycle engineering. Hoping the new Rebel 1100 DCT is a huge success. Good Luck & stay tuned, lots of opinion & advice available here. The CTX700 is also very well balanced with a very low center of gravity, a "blast" to ride!:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nela- Grew up in Bangor Michigan.
Professor - Arthritis has got the best of my left wrist. Just sold a beautiful 2013 Vstar 1300 deluxe a few months ago cus the clutch was just to painful to pull.
And I am finding out that 71 ain't old in comparison. It's like the old fram filter- pay me now or pay me later. I was cheap you know what and figured I'd pay later. I am.
To the rest who replied- Thanks. my wife never encouraged me to sell my 2 wheel. Spyder is fine BUT it aint' 2 wheels.

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Nela- Grew up in Bangor Michigan.
Professor - Arthritis has got the best of my left wrist. Just sold a beautiful 2013 Vstar 1300 deluxe a few months ago cus the clutch was just to painful to pull.
And I am finding out that 71 ain't old in comparison. It's like the old fram filter- pay me now or pay me later. I was cheap you know what and figured I'd pay later. I am.
To the rest who replied- Thanks. my wife never encouraged me to sell my 2 wheel. Spyder is fine BUT it aint' 2 wheels.
You should try the CTX700DCT. Here is mostly what I use my left hand for now, and the grin hasn't left my face either. :D
Tire Wheel Vehicle Helmet Motorcycle helmet

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all for the welcome. I am trying to convince my wife that I NEED an automatic/semi auto 2 wheel for my well being and sanity and keep the spyder (maybe). Might also be looking at the rebel 1100.

·
Registered
2018 Honda CTX700 DCT, 2015 Zero SR [sold :’-( ]
320 Posts
Welcome!

I think the CTX is a slam dunk for most folks, but you definitely want sit on the Rebel 1100 before deciding. If you’re tall, it’s more of a problem on the Rebel, but it’s also not perfect on the CTX. I’m 6’, 31” inseam, and my knees pretty much have to go outside the fairing. It’s a really minor complaint; the CTX is a good bike.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Welcome!

I think the CTX is a slam dunk for most folks, but you definitely want sit on the Rebel 1100 before deciding. If you’re tall, it’s more of a problem on the Rebel, but it’s also not perfect on the CTX. I’m 6’, 31” inseam, and my knees pretty much have to go outside the fairing. It’s a really minor complaint; the CTX is a good bike.

Thanks for the input. I have been looking around Pahrump/Las Vegas area to go investigate, sit and maybe test ride to see if it suites me. I do a lot of open road riding to death valley and around the area. I am thinking the CTX will be enough for me now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Welcome!

I'm 6'1" w/34" inseam, and my knees didn't fit the fairing so I went with the N model.

·
Registered
CTX700DN 2014
30 Posts
I sympathize with you friend, i have arthritis in both wrists (and both hips), but am still able to ride two wheels thanks to the incredible engineering in the CTX700! I had to let the Harley go cause I just could't handle the clutching anymore. I hope you find the right match and can stay riding!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks. I didn't realize aging was going to be so much fun. Anyway, I was looking for a DCT for a long time-just couldn't find one for sale close to me. I have non DCT. I still think I would appreciate the DCT more and I would ride the 2 wheel more than my spyder.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
howdy
ride on While you can .
i was stopped by a massive stRoke and Wanted to gEt somE thing to Ride buT my balencE is so bad That i fall when closing my eyEs to Wash my haiR and am pecking this out with one fingeR on my rigt hand.

RidE While you can
ken

1 - 20 of 26 Posts