CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I will be taking riding lessons this may and plan to buy a bike if everything goes well. I'm 5'4" so most sport bikes are difficult for me to sit on with any level of comfort. A good buddy of mine has a vulcan 900 and wants me to get into riding to so he can have someone to ride with so I was looking at getting something that could keep up with him for the most part during weekend trips, ect.

The primary reason for getting a bike would be for commuting. I have a 28 mile commute (mostly highway) with HOV restrictions that allow motorcycles to ride on. The highway is Jamed every morning so I was thinking of avoiding the traffic by riding a bike on HOV. In the future the road will be a toll road but still free to motorcycles.

Going super-fast is not that important to me so this bike with its low seat height, automatic trans and abs seems like a good option.

I plan to go to see this bike and look at other options soon to get an idea how comfortable they are to sit on. Any advice from veteran riders would be appreciated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a daily commute at about the same mileage as you do. Over the last 5 years, I've saved over $7700 in gas just in taking the Burgman 400 I own instead of the car...and hundreds of hours of time. If you make a commitment to ride it everywhere you can, you'll be surprised at how much you'll save in gas.

On the other hand, if all you do is to ride it for entertainment...there's no savings at all. ;) But a lot of pleasure. :):D

If you dress for the conditions, you can ride comfortably down to the teens and up past 100. But you also need to use your head on that. That isn't a challenge, but just an observation. I don't ride if there's white stuff on the road or forecasted. If you drop the bike, you'll likely total it.

I'd look at getting Foremost Insurance for the first year or so, then shop around. Foremost has a deal I haven't seen on all insurance policies. If you buy the bike new from a dealer and insure it with them within 30 days, they will replace the bike if you wreck it with the current year model. That works for the first two years. So if you wreck your 2013/4 CTX700 in 23 months from taking delivery, they will replace it with the 2015/6 model. Most other insurance just gives you the retail value from Kelley Blue Book. Since the bike's value will drop about $1500-2000 in the first two years of your ownership, that's a significant feature.

One caution I'd have when riding with your friend...ride your own ride. It is easy to get caught up in the thrill of the moment and the testosterone. :rolleyes: I've seen guys who are nice and sane most of the time decide they have to race when they get on their bikes. The experience level will vary and eventually one of them will get into trouble. Hopefully it isn't so serious that they can't walk away with just bruised pride. :eek:

I hate to sound like a downer, but around here, I see motorcyclists come out when the temps get above 50 with no threat of rain. They get a couple months of time to ride and then they put their garage queens away for the next 9 months. They'll tell you they have 20 years of riding experience, but really they only have 3 months, repeated 20 times. And they get into accidents because of their lack of experience.

Good luck on the course and your new CTX700. :)

Chris

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a new rider, I think the CTX would be a good bike for you. It's not a sports bike but a crusier, so you won't be hunching over all the time. The power is manageable and not intimidating. This bike is intended for novices.

If you are worried about the ride height, the only thing you can do about it is go to dealership and sit on one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Daboo,

I have been looking into insurance but I did not even think that CC size would play a roll. Not sure were the classifications come into play (may be different for different insurance companies

I'm 31 so the likelihood of me racing around is probably not going to happen. I understand that urge though so I will remind myself of it from time to time :)
The fact I am looking at this bike at all should attest to that mentality.

As for experience, I agree. Sense I will likely use my bike as an advantage to commuting (A MAJOR ATVANTAGE. We are talking 1 hour commuting time per day saved) I will likely be gearing up to ride all weather conditions. I will try to avoid snow or freezing rain days of course. I would like to know how you guys who ride all the time handle rain, because I would not want to dodge riding every day because it may or may not drizzle.

Hondanation,

I plan on going this weekend to start looking but I doubt they will have a CTX700 available yet.. But at least I can get an idea of what size I like to sit on. And yes, the hunched over part would bother me especially commuting every day so the CTX does seem like the right option so far...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Icez, let me clarify something on the insurance. Motorcycle type does play into insurance rates. Not being in the insurance business, this is all hearsay, but the general idea is that certain bikes have higher incidences of being wrecked. The insurance company takes that into account when rating your insurance premium. Like a Suzuki Hayabusa would have a higher cost than a Suzuki Burgman 650.

The reason I mentioned Foremost is solely because of the replacement policy they have (or had last time I checked). None of us plan to have our bike stolen or to wreck it...but if that happened, this would be a major cost savings for you.

As for gear that deserves its own thread. Others will find the info easier that way. It'll save you money to ask the question and find out what others have found that works well, instead of buying something now and replacing it in a year for what you would've bought if you knew about it.

Likewise on riding tactics. I've only been riding about 85,000 miles since I started 6 years ago, but I've only hit my brakes hard about 6-7 times...and once was for a squirrel and another for a deer. There are some tactics you can take that will increase your odds on the road. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I will create a thread on riding gear when I get closer to the time frame I need to be to start shopping for the stuff.

I was thinking of getting the DCT version with ABS for saftey reasons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts