CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been around motorcycles/atc's all my life. I started my street riding with a 1990 Honda VTR 250 Interceptor 12 years ago. I finally decided to get a bigger, more comfortable bike. I still love my VTR but I'm getting to old and fat for it.

I recently bought a 2014 fairing version that had 2565 miles when I got it. Came with the Puig touring, tall Honda and stock windshields. A radiant, stock, and an ebay muffler. It has floorboards front and rear, plus the pegs. The owners manual and service manual, already wired for a battery tender, and a lead to plug into that to power two usb ports, a Givi top case, a throttle lock and a new air filter with it. It also has a Trex center stand and Trex frame sliders.

So far I am really liking it, already over 300 miles since I got it. I already adjust all the preload into the rear shock and still feels soft, so do the forks. To make things worse the wife likes riding on the back of this with the floorboards and backrest on the Givi. So the suspension is gonna need some work. I removed the Puig touring windshield in favor of the stock one. I felt hot and wasn't getting enough air, I like the stock windshield much more. I also removed the throttle lock, just don't see myself doing that much highway interstate riding.
I have one immediate problem I am working on fixing, fork seals are leaking like a spigot. I just removed the forks and found the tubes to be pitted pretty bad and need new fork tubes. The pitting only seems to start about 3-3 1/2 inches above the dust covers, right behind the fairing, so I never saw it when I bought it.

Once that is fixed I look forward to many miles on this thing.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

·
Registered
2015 Honda CTX 700n
41 Posts
VTR is so sick. welcome to the club and thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
680 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm rockin' a lot of the same equipment-- floorboards, topcase, usb ports, windshield and fairing. You're ready for some serious touring miles!

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Ride safe!! And let us know how the repair to the fork seals and tubes went for you.
Another welcome & Way To Go! Ditto above about fork seals.
Note: I discovered bolt on fork protectors made by Triumph here, which fit our bike. I have the taller version and they are cheap insurance against damage by airborne debris. Search for more info, as I don't recall part numbers.(y)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another welcome & Way To Go! Ditto above about fork seals.
Note: I discovered bolt on fork protectors made by Triumph here, which fit our bike. I have the taller version and they are cheap insurance against damage by airborne debris. Search for more info, as I don't recall part numbers.(y)
Yeah, welcome. Your probably gonna love it. Had my N since May done almost 4k. They're a different animal. Be safe, tell us how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts