CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is my first post here. I just got my learner's permit, and am scheduled to take the Safety Training Course on the 24th and 25th. I am 35, married, and have 2 kids, one is in 1st grade, the other is 3 and potty training. I have purchased a Honda PCX 150 as my first bike. I wanted something to commute to work and take the load off of my CRV that has 193k miles. The PCX is supposed to get high 90's on the mpg, and the cost plus ins. plus [email protected] will save me $30/mo from just gas in my 24mpg CRV. But I am new to riding. I cannot ride the PCX to work yet, since I work 2nd shift and cant drive at night. I have a small kid so cant get out much during the week either since the wife works 1st shift. I love the automatic option. I think I can manage the PCX- my whole route is mainly rural @ 55mph. But I think I have a crush on this CTX. It wouldnt be as good on gas as the PCX, but would be more stable in wind and passing traffic. Also, the ABS sounds gloriously safe, and it would be big enough for my wife and I to 2-up with her brother and Dad who ride Harleys. Money is tight right now, so not sure if I could swing the payments and the lesser gas mileage... Any thoughts from the wisdom of the forums? Thanks so much in advance.

·
Registered
975 Posts
My advice is to take the MSF as scheduled and keep riding the PCX for a while to become a more experienced rider and lessen the chance that you'll lay over a brand-new CTX due to your lack of experience. Then, depending on how long you gain experience on the PCX, you may opt for a big jump to the CTX but another option would be to get a used 250-500 bike and keep gaining experience before jumping on to a bigger, new bike.

Please be safe and take this slowly, as it seems as though you are really needed here on this earth and to be healthy by your family.

As far as saving fuel, I wouldn't look at any powered two wheel choice as a money saver. If you are in to saving fuel just out of principle as I am, then okay and the CTX is among the best of choices out there, but no powered two wheeler is going to save you money on the whole scheme of things due to all the related costs to ownership. Riding needs to be something you like and want to do in addition to saving on gas.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Also, you'd be surprised by how little anyone will give you in a trade for a new ride. I traded a one-year old, $5500 scooter for $3500. It's real depressing. Keep it if you think you'll use it. It's of much more value to you than it is to others who may want to buy it. The used bike and scooter market is really soft. Just look what folks are selling them for on cycle trader, ebay, etc. Almost nothing!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Also coming from a Pcx to a Ctx what you will notice is the stability of the Ctx in the wind. It's a very stable bike at higher speeds as where the Pcx felt scary at times.

Reactions: MrSuperchicken1

·
Registered
42 Posts
welcome, superfowl!

everyone has given you good advice, here. i'll add my $.015. the size of the ctx700 will not be a factor to anyone who truly wants to ride a MC. my first bike is my honda shadow spirit, a 750cc Vtwin. felt like a mighty big ride after the suzuki 250 at my riders class but i have grown into it nicely.

practice/experience is key, of course. the more you ride, the better you get and your confidence grows apace. if you can see your way clear to a new ctx, i say go for it.

best regards, shad.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have done what you are thinking of doing MrSuperChicken. Everyone is dear and needed in this life by others. I too started with the PCX 150... I put barely 2000 miles on it and felt I "outgrew" it... I wanted more stability at speed and the chance to get over 55mph and to ride highways safely. So, I went for the CTX. I can tell you the extra weight was the only tough part of the move up... As others have said, take the cycle safety course, and ride that PCX a lot. Once you feel you've outgrown it, than I think the CTX is a good choice. The extra weight can be a nuisance trying to push the cycle around... You will need to drive about thinking more of a good place to park, not going onto very narrow lanes with dead ends and no easy turn arounds... Unless you master how to shove the 500lbs. about... have discovered that if I ever need to push this bike to turn it in my narrow driveway, it does take technique and getting used to it. The actual riding was an easy transition from the PCX. Use common sense, and you will be fine and your kids will only miss their Dad when you are out riding your favorite roads. I got @ 1/2 of what I paid on my PCX in a trade in. Yes, it was worth it! As for $$$, yes helmets and accessories are costly, but I think the routine maintenance will be way less than my cars cost, and I do get about 70 mpg on the CTX.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also coming from a Pcx to a Ctx what you will notice is the stability of the Ctx in the wind. It's a very stable bike at higher speeds as where the Pcx felt scary at times.
I was able to put some more miles on the PCX today- it was beautiful weather, and not many cars out. I really enjoyed it! And I got rained on yesterday for the first time- soaked everything but my socks. The wind was up too and I could tell as it blew me from left center of my lane to right side- Yikes! The scoot only weighs 284 filled, then I add another 205-210 with my gear. But I will take the advice given and concentrate on getting more experience with this scoot and the safety course, then maybe come Feb. or so, the wife will be ready to ride with me and we can get a great deal on the CTX.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have done what you are thinking of doing MrSuperChicken. Everyone is dear and needed in this life by others. I too started with the PCX 150... I put barely 2000 miles on it and felt I "outgrew" it... I wanted more stability at speed and the chance to get over 55mph and to ride highways safely. So, I went for the CTX. I can tell you the extra weight was the only tough part of the move up... As others have said, take the cycle safety course, and ride that PCX a lot. Once you feel you've outgrown it, than I think the CTX is a good choice. The actual riding was an easy transition from the PCX. Use common sense, and you will be fine and your kids will only miss their Dad when you are out riding your favorite roads. I got @ 1/2 of what I paid on my PCX in a trade in. Yes, it was worth it! As for $$$, yes helmets and accessories are costly, but I think the routine maintenance will be way less than my cars cost, and I do get about 70 mpg on the CTX.
Thanks very much for this advice. Safety and Cost are the most important factors for us right now. So maybe by Jan or Feb, when the CTX may go on sale, then maybe we can make the move. Also, by then I will have grown in my experience and knowledge and maybe the wife will have calmed down and not worry quite as much as I know she does now. I had a great riding day today- my first really good day of riding- about 45 miles in on some nice back roads, a school parking lot (practicing swerves and fast braking), and then some subdivisions along with some 55 mph highway. I cant wait until the wife and I can load up and take a day ride to north GA (I live in west GA). I know we would both like the time together.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
If you are in west GA then shoot up to Chattanoga when you are ready. Their current price will not get any lower and with the exception of Russellville ($100 cheaper) they are the cheapest in the nation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just a thought. While I have a CTX, and I love it, you may want to consider a larger scooter. I still enjoy riding my wife's Burgman 400. It's roughly the same size and weight as the CTX, it has better wind protection for freeway driving, plenty of power for 2-up, almost the same MPG's as the CTX, and you can get a good used one for very little.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a thought. While I have a CTX, and I love it, you may want to consider a larger scooter. I still enjoy riding my wife's Burgman 400. It's roughly the same size and weight as the CTX, it has better wind protection for freeway driving, plenty of power for 2-up, almost the same MPG's as the CTX, and you can get a good used one for very little.
I have been back and forth in my mind on this...but wouldnt the CTX have more power simply b/c it is a larger engine? I would love to see a side by side comparison of the two. I also know the Burgmans had a model change in 07 that gave more power, but in exchange for mpg. From what I saw, the Burgman showed close maybe a little less mpg than the CTX, but with less engine. I dont know...maybe more research needed. The Burgmans I have seen are around 3K for one with 8,000 miles (a 2003 model). So maintenance is a concern too. But also, my father in law and brother in law have Harleys and not sure if the scoot will keep up if we wanted to 2-up with them. Of course, I could get a Burgman and keep the PCX for the price of one CTX...but the PCX would be limited in group rides...

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
I have been back and forth in my mind on this...but wouldnt the CTX have more power simply b/c it is a larger engine? I would love to see a side by side comparison of the two. I also know the Burgmans had a model change in 07 that gave more power, but in exchange for mpg. From what I saw, the Burgman showed close maybe a little less mpg than the CTX, but with less engine. I dont know...maybe more research needed. The Burgmans I have seen are around 3K for one with 8,000 miles (a 2003 model). So maintenance is a concern too. But also, my father in law and brother in law have Harleys and not sure if the scoot will keep up if we wanted to 2-up with them. Of course, I could get a Burgman and keep the PCX for the price of one CTX...but the PCX would be limited in group rides...

I ride only ride solo but if I were to ride mostly 2 up, I think the 700 platform is a little week for my tastes. I like how it works and performs with just me on it but the rear part of the seat is narrow, the suspension too soft for 2, and I don't believe I would be happy with it's performance. Harleys have great load capacity in their road bikes but they are heavy to manhandle. Another 20hp and the Honda would be a better 2up bike in my mind for all day trips.

Reactions: MrSuperchicken1

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
6 months later...

As others have said, take the cycle safety course, and ride that PCX a lot. Once you feel you've outgrown it, than I think the CTX is a good choice... and I do get about 70 mpg on the CTX.
Hey, was wondering if you still feel the same? Are you still getting 70 mpgs? I have a little over 3000 miles on my PCX now, and am down to the wear marks on my rear tire already. Also, have started thinking about the CTX again.
Thanks in advance.
Oh and by the way, I did complete the MSF safety course, and passed with flying colors before I began seriously riding. I even took the wife on a couple of rides on the PCX...that looked funny- 400 pounds on the scooter going 55 down the road! Probably why the tire is worn already:) So I think the CTX would have enough power to carry us around for those all too rare times to ride together (when kids are at the grandparents!) and will give me the good gas mileage when Im commuting to work like I do now. I have riden rain or shine- down to 20 degrees (about as low as I could handle with the gear I have) so no fair weather rider here. I even had a guy ask me one day, "Why do you only ride when the weather is bad?" Ha ha!

·
Premium Member
11,745 Posts
Riding 2 up on the CTX isn't a problem at all with its low to mid range torque and you couldn't ask for a better commuter bike properly equipped with a nice shield. The CTX also handles cruising or touring quite well for its size.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts