CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I’m a new rider,I feel safer having an expert do the work. I called for an estimate for a safety check and oil change. The quote was $333! The guy said they do an extensive safety check and their labor rate is $95 per hour. They also mentioned to filters for the Dct version? I see one are there 2?. I could skip the oil change , I’m only at 3500k and 8k is next scheduled. I just like to have it changed each season? So thoughts on price and are there 2 filters? I just don’t trust myself trying to do the checks myself

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Tell us where you are located. May be someone nearby who could walk you thru it.

Reactions: Ruby

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats and welcome!

Tell us where you are located. May be someone nearby who could walk you thru it.
I’m near Cincinnati Ohio . I have a friend next door who has ridden all his life. He said he could help with the oil change. I watched a YouTube video it looked like filter was a pain to remove. Are there 2 filters like the service tech said? Is one maybe oil and one transmission? My buddy could help with some of the safety checks but he’s not a “Honda” guy. Was hoping for an “expert” since being somewhat at a disadvantage with my Vision I don’t want any surprises at 75mph on highway. Thanks for reply

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Glad to hear of your recovery. However, I will avoid the temptation to inquire about your ability to ride safely, because I have neither the first hand knowledge nor the qualification to offer advice.
The original spin on oil filter has been said to be difficult to remove, possibly due to over tightening. Yours should have been changed @ the 600 mile service. Yes the DCT has 2 filters; a smaller cartridge type to benefit the internal DCT clutch, while using the same oil that serves the engine. Plz see owners manual for maintenance details.
Honda also specifies a 12 month time lapsed interval for oil changes. I believe few here stretch a change to 8k miles.
Good to have friends (next door or?). He may know what to look for, maintenance wise. Best Wishers!:)

·
Super Moderator
933 Posts
Oil change is not that difficult. As 350 Four said, if the 1k service was done you may not need anything changed right now. I use synthetic and change when I feel like it.

A 2018 that hasn't been dropped or otherwise have visible physical damage should pass with flying colors. If you are a new rider, look up TCLOCKS (https://msf-usa.org/downloads/T-CLOCS_Inspection_Checklist.pdf).

Anyone with riding experience should be able to assist you with the safety check and maybe a test ride.

Service manual can be downloaded here:

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2017 CTX 700D
21 Posts
I spent more than that for a safety check, but going in he spotted thinning brake pads, due for 8k valve check/adjustment, oil change just because I wanted to be sure and a radiator drain and refill because it was coming off to check the valves.
I thought the price was fair but it has prompted me to practice patience and learn how to do these things myself. Note that I was excited to start riding again and decided to just pay up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Working on the bike isn't hard if you are mechanically inclined, have some tools, and follow the instructions in the service manual. But if you find a mechanic YOU CAN TRUST then that can work, just understand it will be expensive and the "hourly rate" at this point has become meaningless BS. The local auto repair place quoted me $330 to replace the serpentine belt, tensioner and idler pulley on an older Yukon. Bought the kit with all the parts for $75 and a buddy of mine and I watched a couple of YouTube videos and did the job in 20 minutes. Not sure how their $110 per hour fits into the picture.

Then there is the issue of trusting them to do the job right. My buddy had a Cobra exhaust installed on a Honda Shadow by a Honda dealership. Yep, they removed the Honda exhaust and installed the Cobra. Bike was nice and loud and ran like crap because they didn't bother with the extremely important and fairly difficult to get right job of rejetting the carburetors. Jackasses. (no offense meant to small male donkeys).

So, if you can find the kind of mechanic who will charge you for checking the valves and WILL ACTUALLY CHECK THEM, you are all set. For more basic things I'd suggest getting a copy of the service manual and start learning how to do things from here and YouTube.

Good luck.
Steve

·
Registered
387 Posts
Agree. As soon as the service dept touches it-you are looking at about $100+taxes plus the oil and filters may be a good chain service while you're at it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts