CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my new 700 CTX family - I am a new rider and the Honda CTX 700 DCT is my first bike. I currently have the 2015 model. I would like to get panniers but I'm unsure as I was reading stuff about JFC bracketz and different options. Today I visited Cycle Gear to get advice and the gentleman told me to pose the question on the bike forum. I'm not looking to break the bank but I would like to have something sturdy. Thank you so very much for the advice, as I appreciate and value the wisdom of a seasoned veteran riders.
Cathie

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are a number of options you can try. You can sometimes find good deals on Craiglist / Ebay for very lightly used panniers./ top cases. You would then just need to get the correct aftermarket mounting brackets. I myself use Shad USA boxes. I most just use a Shad 48 liter top case. It easily swallows my helmet with a lot of other junk in it as well. I often go to Walmart with it and can get most of what I typically buy for groceries in the top case. For side cases the Shad 36 are nice, but make the bike look weird (very wide looking from rear.) They too can hold a full face shield - no issues

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are a number of options you can try. You can sometimes find good deals on Craiglist / Ebay for very lightly used panniers./ top cases. You would then just need to get the correct aftermarket mounting brackets. I myself use Shad USA boxes. I most just use a Shad 48 liter top case. It easily swallows my helmet with a lot of other junk in it as well. I often go to Walmart with it and can get most of what I typically buy for groceries in the top case. For side cases the Shad 36 are nice, but make the bike look weird (very wide looking from rear.) They too can hold a full face shield - no issues
What I liked about Ebay was the top case which I use the most was used and in great condition for just $75 ! Love it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so very much for your post - Looking at Ebay now. Did you use the Honda brackets or did you get after market brackets

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you so very much for your post - Looking at Ebay now. Did you use the Honda brackets or did you get after market brackets
I used Shad 3P Mount System. Note its Shad 3P system is unfortunately pricey. For the panniers, it is a fairly robust, easy to install with simple tools, and lightweight. I went down on it once going too fast around a corner and it with Kurkayn mini floor board protected my bike for the most part, only cracked the turn signal and mirror, and scuffed the top case. The top mount is even more very robust, but it weights quite a bit Note: My top mount also sports an additional brake light that Shad sells as an accessory. I like it a lot as I travel often early in the morning and sometimes late at night. Installing this is a bit tougher as you will need to cut into the wiring harness to splice a new line into it.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Hello my new 700 CTX family - I am a new rider and the Honda CTX 700 DCT is my first bike. I currently have the 2015 model. I would like to get panniers but I'm unsure as I was reading stuff about JFC bracketz and different options. Today I visited Cycle Gear to get advice and the gentleman told me to pose the question on the bike forum. I'm not looking to break the bank but I would like to have something sturdy. Thank you so very much for the advice, as I appreciate and value the wisdom of a seasoned veteran riders.
Cathie
Hi Cathie,

I have a brand new Tourmaster large Black Luggage rack bag for sale. See my ad in classified in "other" section. $259 list sell for $159 includes shipping.
Large Tourmaster Bag Brand New.jpg

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Cathie
Welcome and may I add how pleased I am to see female motorcyclists steadily grow in numbers, for some time now.(y)
A few years ago, I bought my slightly used '15 D (fairing model w/DCT). (If you have this model, rear inner supports & "grab" handles are standard, if not, some brand of inner supports will be needed). I installed the OEM bags, which some like & others do not, for valid reasons either way. I believe that Honda no longer markets these bags for the CTX but the same parts may be available for a different current model. (I recently installed the sturdy T-Rex rear rack w/adjustable/removable backrest which is intended for "naked" models & comes with their inner supports). Caveat; I had to modify/drill my OEM outer bag supports to make it work together, (top case not in my plan.)
Many here like the JFC bracketz for their versatility in using other side cases...(Vikings?) and many also swear by Shad products.
There is much info/opinion here on this subject, as well as maintenance tips, center stands etc, and many can offer more experiences.
Please note; w/DCT, Honda says shift/switch to neutral Before shut off; and professional, MSF type training is highly recommended as soon as available. Safe skills are a never ending quest. Be well safe & ENJOY!;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Cathie,
Welcome to the forum, saddlebags are a nice addition to most bikes and they compliment the CTX 700 very well. Depending on which model of the CTX you have will dictate how much you are going to spend (the "N" model needs more mounting hardware than the "D" model does) . I hope you will not get in a hurry to buy and read many threads on the topic of bags, some of the people here have done some amazing things with modifying their bikes and they can offer a lot of expertise. Thinking about what you want to use the bike for (travel, commute) should also influence your decision. Good luck on your endeavor!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Things you should consider in your search. Do you prefer flip top loaders or side loaders? Removable or non removable? How wide do you want the rear end to be? If just picking things up around town filtering through traffic smaller skinny bags with a top box to hold a helmet is better. Bigger wider bags for open road touring. If you drop the bike on its side and damage one bag, can you buy just that side bag or repair parts for it or do you have to replace the whole set is something else to consider. Envision what you want the bike to look like in the end before you start piecing things together over time. Do the research and make sure if you want a rear rack, backrest-sissy bar, side bags with brackets and a top box make sure they will all fit and work together. I have the GIVI EN 22’s on custom brackets like the JFC’s. They are cheap $, and hold 2, 1 gallon milk jugs each. Although they are a little flimsy I have had them for over 3 years and they still look like new.

·
Registered
2014 CTX700
51 Posts
Welcome! I recommend you go with what your budget allows and what will satisfy your needs. There are tons of options. I have OEM side cases but have a Givi top case. Just depends on what you will use them for, what kind of look you are going for, and how much you want to spend! Like others mentioned, look on eBay or here in the forum, etc to find gently used parts and you will save a ton!
20200914_152743.jpg

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi CAthie: welcome to the forum. You will find some very helpful people with lots of knowledge here with lots of (mostly) good and helpful info. One think you may want to consider is to start off with a backpack to carry small things with you as needed as you gain some riding experience.

Good suggestion as to setting a budget, unless money is no issue, in which case your options are limitless. I have a 2014 manual with no faring. I have Shad 46 top box and 36 for side boxes. My experience is that having something to put stuff into can be quite useful. Many of the top boxes from most makers have a universal mount and you can often start out with a smaller box and expand upwards as your needs change.

Depending on where you are, you may be able to connect with other riders and get a chance to see how different options actually look and work.

nice to have you with us. keep up posted as your process evolves and eventually get something.
I found some great deals can be had on used options, or new items that have never been used. I got a SH36 package on kijiji for about half of what normal sale price would be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cathie
save up for the OEM honda bags..They look best and I hear , Fit best...May find some on E Bay

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Cathie. Honda originals look great and, when removed, the mountings are basically invisible. BTW, the paniers for CTX and NC/NCX are interchangeable. The Honda originals are not that spacious, though (speaking from personal experience :) ).

Shad sells a dedicated CTX700 kit and then you have a wider selection of the actual paniers and cases.

My CTX700 came with the original paniers so I went for the Kappa top case with the Kappa CTX-specific mounting kit.

·
Premium Member
399 Posts

Cathie
Cathie,

Like others in this forum, I opted for Shad cases. Here's a pic of my bike with a Shad 50 liter top case and the 36 side cases. As mentioned, they are pricey at retail but sturdy and very well made. I've had no issues with mine over the last 5 years. Good luck with your choice and enjoy your CTX.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Yamaha Roadstar,BMW S1000RR, Honda CTX 700
62 Posts
Since this is a first bike I wouldn't recommend a top case yet. Especially one that "the top mount is even more robust, but it weights (sic) quite a bit" as stated earlier. If too heavily loaded it can make handling in a parking space even more awkward.

I was hurt between the shoulder blades that way. Doc called it "grave digger" injury like from wielding a shovel. Memorable two month recovery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts