CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all. Glen from Minneapolis. I began riding last year at 55. My son and I got Vespas last spring but they were gateway drugs. By August we each had 2015 CTX 700 DCTs - found 2 used ones in adjoining counties, one with 1600 miles and one with 8k miles. I figured the automatic transmission aspect would make it feel like a bigger more powerful scooter. We love these bikes.

Do folks find they can go on longer trips comfortably with these bikes - at least without customization? My longest is 90 miles so far. I get a bit saddle sore after an hour or so. Do folks upgrade seats?

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

Plenty of folks do long distance. My longest is only 190 miles in a day. I'm currently running a stock seat with an AirHawk pad. Before the AirHawk I wouldn't be able to do more than an hour without a break. I'm still trying to get a better seat.

I consider floorboards a must have for comfort.

I have a throttle lock as well. Really helps on long stretches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats and welcome!

Plenty of folks do long distance. My longest is only 190 miles in a day. I'm currently running a stock seat with an AirHawk pad. Before the AirHawk I wouldn't be able to do more than an hour without a break. I'm still trying to get a better seat.

Thanks, Tony. Will look into those. I was wondering whether there were floorboards compatible with this bike. Can you please tell me which ones you got?

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
Kuryakyn #4357 with #8815 spline adapter are what I have. Best mod IMO.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Hi, all. Glen from Minneapolis. I began riding last year at 55. My son and I got Vespas last spring but they were gateway drugs. By August we each had 2015 CTX 700 DCTs - found 2 used ones in adjoining counties, one with 1600 miles and one with 8k miles. I figured the automatic transmission aspect would make it feel like a bigger more powerful scooter. We love these bikes.

Do folks find they can go on longer trips comfortably with these bikes - at least without customization? My longest is 90 miles so far. I get a bit saddle sore after an hour or so. Do folks upgrade seats?
Welcome Glen. Longer trips are easy, once you make the bike capable with bags, windscreen, and a decent seat. Search the Comfort forum for seats to see many options. I selected a Corbin dual standard seat.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts

Welcome Glen!(y) Many new to "our" ride do not know that Honda reshaped the seat foam for '15 & later, moving the rider forward. This does not fit 30" & longer inseams well, usually causing tailbone area discomfort. Much discussion on that here.;) Like some, I found a '14 seat which is a vast improvement for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Congrats and welcome! What a great find to get two of these bikes!

I found that my spine and tailbone were looking me after an hour or so. I bought a standard Corbin seat which made a world of difference. Shorter folks like the Corbin low seat. But, as someone else has already said, there are other options. I also installed Shad side cases because my naked bike had no storage. The picture is from my first overnight trip, just a couple hours away.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
348 Posts
Hi, Glen, I also used to ride scooters ranging from a 1987 Honda Helix 250, 2016 Piaggio MP3 500, to a 2007 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive, and also owned regular bikes: a 1989 Honda PC800, 1985 Honda Shadow V30, 2003 Harley Davidson Sportster Anniversary Edition. For me, the best option on the CTX700 that I own is the automatic transmission, twist and go!!! With these CTX700 bikes, you can go on trips for as long as you want without any problems. They are very reliable, they have plenty of power, they are great on gas, and they are fun to ride. I also bought mine used, (only 650 miles on the odometer) in Massachusetts, and rode it to New Jersey, a 300-mile trip; the only pain I had was in my mouth since I was smiling for all those 300 miles!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats and welcome!

Tony, do you have a pic of your floorboard mod?

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Glen and welcome to the forum! I got a Seth Laam custom seat and have ridden looooong rides without complaint. Seth works with you and helps build your seat for you and it comparably priced if not lower than the Corbin. I've ridden 390+ miles one way on one trip alone and no regrets with Seth's custom seat. More importantly, the CTX700 performed flawlessly, even in the rain. I also have Kuryakyn Premium Mini Boards which are fine for me, but it looks like most folks have the larger boards (same spline adapter).

And Edgar is right - the DCT is one of the neatest things about my bike!

Ride safe!
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
That is a purty bike you got there.

I have been trying to get a Seth Lamm seat forever. What is the secret?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hello Glen!
I recently purchased a 2016 CTX700 and found that the Honda seat got uncomfortable very quickly.
I had the desire to not only save my butt but increase some room with my leg length tucking under the fairing properly.
I just purchased the Corbin standard seat and it solved both problems.
The quality,fit,comfort,customer service etc…is top notch.
I paid about $618 total but Wow it’s now a new motorcycle.!,,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts