CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of my CTX700 today. I got the manual shifter and outfitted it with the tall wind screen and bags as a cruiser/tourer.

I have been riding for over 30 years and have previously owned Harley dressers and a variety of standards and cruisers.

Still plenty hot for riding in Florida!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Just took delivery of my CTX700 today. I got the manual shifter and outfitted it with the tall wind screen and bags as a cruiser/tourer.

I have been riding for over 30 years and have previously owned Harley dressers and a variety of standards and cruisers.

Still plenty hot for riding in Florida!
welcome to the forum Cosmic,

lots of talk about that tall wind screen lately so chime in how it works for you after you get a few miles under your belt.

It is 98 degrees here today so taking my truck to work daily. Miss riding but I set my limit at 95. At least here the humidity is less than Fl.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yo Cosmic ...I know what you mean St. Pete here. Enjoy the CTX...good ride so far on mine. Plan to ride to Gator games this fall...Tom

·
Registered
975 Posts
Welcome Cosmic. Good to see that we're finally getting some members on here that have actual fairing models delivered.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Welcome Cosmic

After you get some miles on your new bike perhaps you'd like to make some comparisons to some of the other bikes you've owned. I'm guessing some similarities and differences to the Harley's you've ridden....

Have Fun,
Tony ( MisterHand)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Misterhand, I've had a H-D 2003 FXD Superglide and a 1988 and 1989 FLHS Electraglide Sport (like today's Roadglide model). There is no comparison in terms of power. There is no substitute for cubic inches.

The main difference for me is handling and ergonomics. The big twin Harley's are designed for larger guys closer to six feet and up. At 5'7" I never really felt completely comfortable notwithstanding being a MSF Instructor at the time (meaning skills or lack thereof was not the problem). Yes, you can modify a Harley to fit just about anyone but you can't really trim much weight from them without chopping them. I don't really consider the smaller Sportster a viable motorcycle.

My favorite of all the bikes I have owned was a 2002 Honda CB750. The seat height was a hair higher than I would have liked but other than that it was a great do it all bike. Honda doesn't make that anymore so I chose the CTX700 as a reentry bike.

I would have preferred the sportier NT700 from last year but it's seat height is too high for my 30 inch inseam so I went with a CTX700.

The bottom line for me after all these years of riding is that you have to feel comfortable and in complete control of your bike to ride safe. For me the sweet spot seems to be in the middleweight range of bikes and for now the CTX was the closest thing to the best fit for me considering that in my location I'm limited to Honda and H-D (the only nearby dealerships). Had there been a Triumph dealer near where I live I probably would have bought a Bonneville SE.

I'm happy with the CTX though the forward controls are taking some getting used to but other than that it is a great bike!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts