CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just waiting to pick up my new Red CTX700N this week. Waiting for the registration to come through. I set out to buy a Vstrom 650 and spotted a hot looking red 2014 CTX in the showroom and went over and sat on it. And that was all it took. So long blue Vstrom. This seems to be a very friendly forum and I look forward to talking with you all. thanks! jim s

Reactions: Kfrill

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
well, from what you say CTXer, I welcome you as a new owner/member. Get a picture on here when you can. Home your getting seat time by the end of the week.

Some time down the road we will have to see if Red is more popular than black. Right now I think it is about even.

I have heard they often call the 650 Vstrom the "Wi strom" because it is the smallest of the two Vstrom Suzuki's . Always thought that was funny. They are popular Suzuki models. I once owned was a Suzuki 650 Savage single that went ok but quality seemed to be lacking. Also it backfired a lot (common). Traded it for a Harley 883R

·
Registered
975 Posts
From my recent research shopping different bikes, I found that V-Strom (light) gets great reviews when going head-to-head with other adventure bikes. Always wins in the long-distance comfort department, weather protection and highway ride quality against the likes of the Versys, NC700X, and GS650. However, in some aspects, e.g. off road ability and in-town versatility, it didn't score as well, but probably few would-be riders actually buy these adventures with the intention of going off the pavement much anyway.

I sort of thought it apples to oranges when the reviewers pitted the stripped GS650, single cylinder against these twins. It would have been nice to see how the F700 fared against them.

I looked at V-Strom on Fuelly.com, and the bell curve seems to peak in the low 50s, so it gets good mpg as well.

I decided against it for three main reasons. The CTX gave me a more suitable styling choice in a mid-range bike, which I couldn't find in any other machine; the 700 power train kicks tail against all comers with respect to mpg; and the price of a new V-Strom was just out of budget. If I had gone with a V-Strom, it would have had to been a used one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome to the group - hope to see a Pic

1 - 5 of 5 Posts