CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Since I seem to have been called out in CTX Sightings...

This is long because the hunt is half the fun and I hope someone appreciates the story.

Back to riding after 30 year layoff.
I rode through the 80's. I sold my 1984 Honda Interceptor in about 1990 and hadn't ridden since.

I got the itch a few years ago and kicked tires at Harley Dealers for a time but never pulled the trigger. I perused fb ads everywhere and started reading a few forums including this one. Thank you for all the help and info. High priorities was relatively modern for low maintenance and reliability. I wanted some storage and I liked the looks of full fairing and saddle bags. In the beginning I will likely commute on it- some rural roads and across town- taking the long way home occasionally and joy riding. Not likely to do long trips. Little to no highway.

Also on the list was a Yamaha FJR. I found an FJR locally and in-fact turned out I knew who the guy was. A real enthusiast who had at least three bikes tagged and on the road and a few off- road bikes too. It was obviously well taken care of. I ultimately decided that I had better walk before I run. I do believe the FJR might be one of the best do it all bikes out there but... It also excels at the things I might do the least- Long highway pulls with a passenger loaded to the hilt. I admit I still have a bit of envy for that bike.

So the CTX came fully into focus.
Ironically I had spotted a blue CTX 700 full fairing with saddle bags 10 minutes from my home when i first started looking but I was not ready. And it sold within a week. When I was ready I ended up finding a bike just like this. It was almost 2 hours away in PA. I drove up to look at it on a weekend. It was in great shape, again owned by an enthusiast who had no less than 7 bikes including a second CTX- naked, and a 2018 Goldwing and a MINT trail 70 from the 70's! Cool Bikes! So we worked a deal and I set out to arrange the rest of the logistics and picked it up a couple of weeks later. The seller was completely chill and waited for me to produce a bank check with no concerns as to the legitimacy. Thanks Steve!

I never rode it or any other as I had concerns about getting on other people bikes for a first ride after 30 years. My wife drove me back to PA to get it. I pulled a helmet on, threw a leg over the bike. twisted the throttle a few times to get the feel of the revs, grabbed the clutch a few times to feel the lever, put it in gear and eased the clutch out to the take up point a few times and ... off I went riding it close to two hours home.

Early in ownership thoughts- I had a hard time getting use to the feet forward position. It got better after logging a dozen rides or so. It is amazing what my body remembered and wanted in a riding position. I liked the upright slightly aggressive position of the 84 interceptor. It made feel more alert and more engaged. More defensive. I may look into the floor boards.

Highway speeds are frankly horrible for wind noise and buffeting. The bike had the small factory windscreen and above about 50 mph the buffeting became relentless. Not fun given half of this ride home was interstate. First upgrade was a Puig windscreen and it moves that speed up to 60mph. Still too much buffeting. But it is less and it is at a less annoying frequency but still objectionable. It is also better with my Shoei helmet vs the HJC. This really surprised me. How can a manufacturer get this so wrong in todays market? It is, after all, a full fairing model. A smallish full fairing yes but still...I see so many people posting about long highway miles on this bike and I just don't know how. Its a good thing that wasn't high on my list of wants. OK, enough griping on that.

Other than that i have really been having fun. It's nice to be "in the wind" again. Did I mention the bonus of MPG? Its early and I want to run a few more tanks but it appears it is getting 70 mpg. Nice bonus as it wasn't a priority for me.

I have a lot to figure out about the clothing as it is now fall in MD. Morning temps this week will be in the 40's and 50's.

This week I spent a day removing all of the lower plastics and deep cleaning the bike. A note to the forums... I don't see much on cleaning and detailing on the motorcycle forums. And when I do it is super basic. I learned a ton about detailing techniques and products on a few car forums particularly MINI Cooper. Those folks are insane with their cleaning but man do the techniques transfer over. Maybe I'll write something up or at least post a link to where I learned what I learned. I thought the bike was pretty clean when I got it. I polished all the painted surfaces and deep cleaned the black plastics and applied a product called Black WOW. I know there are great products for black plastics but this is great stuff and I never had the need to look at anything else. Those MINIs have a LOT of that plastic. The bike now looks amazing. The paint is deeper and looks wet. The Black now provides a better contrast. A day well spent.

Enough for now. If you made it through all of that, thanks for indulging.

JD

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
695 Posts
...I see so many people posting about long highway miles on this bike and I just don't know how...
Being one of "those people," it's funny how similar our first experiences are. I also live in Maryland, bought in eastern PA and rode the bike home, a 150-mile-long Very First Ride. I also didn't like the pegs/position, so floorboards were one of my first mods. I did have a better windshield, a 23" Cee Bailey, so buffeting was not an issue on my 90% highway ride home. The stock seat was also a comfort issue, and my long legs meant my knees were forced out into the wind (a seat pad, and later a Corbin seat, eventually fixed that).

The good news is, there's little about this bike that can't be fixed by the aftermarket. With my existing mods, I've done 500-800 mile days in total comfort. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Really enjoyed your write up JDPaddle. What Honda Interceptor did you have, the 500 or 750. Those Honda 4s were awesome bikes. I had an 84 Nighthawk cb 700 sc, just a terrific bike. I do believe the Givi Windscreen would give you less buffeting as it covers more outside area, I like mine. Of course the Madstad should work the best due to coverage and the ability to dial in the angle that works best for each individual. I will look into the Black Wow for the plastics. I also would appreciate a detailed write up of your detailing tricks. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. All good input.
My interceptor was a 1984 750. I'm kind of working on tracking it down. I know who I sold it to and who he sold it to. That person sold it and has passed away. An MVA search got me a name and I have loosely looked for him. I have an address but as we all know it could be old info. I will be dropping by to see whats what. He could be long gone but who knows? Not a priority cause its a needle in a haystack but...

Gone but certainly not forgotten. Every ride on this has a first in it. First time at a certain temp. Dropping daily here. Exposing my layering choices and I am figuring it all out. One thing at a time. A few mods on the want list but mostly it will stay close to stock.

·
Registered
2015 Honda CTX 700n
52 Posts
on the naked, the MRA is a little better than the puig. from experience. mine came with the puig but i had a fall and picked up a used MRA.

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
Hi all,

Since I seem to have been called out in CTX Sightings...

This is long because the hunt is half the fun and I hope someone appreciates the story.

Back to riding after 30 year layoff.
I rode through the 80's. I sold my 1984 Honda Interceptor in about 1990 and hadn't ridden since.

I got the itch a few years ago and kicked tires at Harley Dealers for a time but never pulled the trigger. I perused fb ads everywhere and started reading a few forums including this one. Thank you for all the help and info. High priorities was relatively modern for low maintenance and reliability. I wanted some storage and I liked the looks of full fairing and saddle bags. In the beginning I will likely commute on it- some rural roads and across town- taking the long way home occasionally and joy riding. Not likely to do long trips. Little to no highway.

Also on the list was a Yamaha FJR. I found an FJR locally and in-fact turned out I knew who the guy was. A real enthusiast who had at least three bikes tagged and on the road and a few off- road bikes too. It was obviously well taken care of. I ultimately decided that I had better walk before I run. I do believe the FJR might be one of the best do it all bikes out there but... It also excels at the things I might do the least- Long highway pulls with a passenger loaded to the hilt. I admit I still have a bit of envy for that bike.

So the CTX came fully into focus.
Ironically I had spotted a blue CTX 700 full fairing with saddle bags 10 minutes from my home when i first started looking but I was not ready. And it sold within a week. When I was ready I ended up finding a bike just like this. It was almost 2 hours away in PA. I drove up to look at it on a weekend. It was in great shape, again owned by an enthusiast who had no less than 7 bikes including a second CTX- naked, and a 2018 Goldwing and a MINT trail 70 from the 70's! Cool Bikes! So we worked a deal and I set out to arrange the rest of the logistics and picked it up a couple of weeks later. The seller was completely chill and waited for me to produce a bank check with no concerns as to the legitimacy. Thanks Steve!

I never rode it or any other as I had concerns about getting on other people bikes for a first ride after 30 years. My wife drove me back to PA to get it. I pulled a helmet on, threw a leg over the bike. twisted the throttle a few times to get the feel of the revs, grabbed the clutch a few times to feel the lever, put it in gear and eased the clutch out to the take up point a few times and ... off I went riding it close to two hours home.

Early in ownership thoughts- I had a hard time getting use to the feet forward position. It got better after logging a dozen rides or so. It is amazing what my body remembered and wanted in a riding position. I liked the upright slightly aggressive position of the 84 interceptor. It made feel more alert and more engaged. More defensive. I may look into the floor boards.

Highway speeds are frankly horrible for wind noise and buffeting. The bike had the small factory windscreen and above about 50 mph the buffeting became relentless. Not fun given half of this ride home was interstate. First upgrade was a Puig windscreen and it moves that speed up to 60mph. Still too much buffeting. But it is less and it is at a less annoying frequency but still objectionable. It is also better with my Shoei helmet vs the HJC. This really surprised me. How can a manufacturer get this so wrong in todays market? It is, after all, a full fairing model. A smallish full fairing yes but still...I see so many people posting about long highway miles on this bike and I just don't know how. Its a good thing that wasn't high on my list of wants. OK, enough griping on that.

Other than that i have really been having fun. It's nice to be "in the wind" again. Did I mention the bonus of MPG? Its early and I want to run a few more tanks but it appears it is getting 70 mpg. Nice bonus as it wasn't a priority for me.

I have a lot to figure out about the clothing as it is now fall in MD. Morning temps this week will be in the 40's and 50's.

This week I spent a day removing all of the lower plastics and deep cleaning the bike. A note to the forums... I don't see much on cleaning and detailing on the motorcycle forums. And when I do it is super basic. I learned a ton about detailing techniques and products on a few car forums particularly MINI Cooper. Those folks are insane with their cleaning but man do the techniques transfer over. Maybe I'll write something up or at least post a link to where I learned what I learned. I thought the bike was pretty clean when I got it. I polished all the painted surfaces and deep cleaned the black plastics and applied a product called Black WOW. I know there are great products for black plastics but this is great stuff and I never had the need to look at anything else. Those MINIs have a LOT of that plastic. The bike now looks amazing. The paint is deeper and looks wet. The Black now provides a better contrast. A day well spent.

Enough for now. If you made it through all of that, thanks for indulging.

JD
Enjoyed your story! 30 years??? Highly recommend further professional rider training, if/when available. At least check out MCRider.com. I was interested when these bikes first came out, although I'd put a lot of TLC into my new '05 Suzuki BL M50, after a previous bad crash. (street riding since 1973, & had an 85 CB650SC ). Picked up a lo-mi. '15 CTX700D awhile back and (LORD Willing) it will be the last bike I will own, @ 68 years old. It is not just the DCT that I like, but also the many other attributes that Honda engineered into this very fine motorcycle.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts