CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings and salutations!

I am a retired college professor. As part of retirement, I'm doing some things I've always wanted to do, but never had time for. As part of that goal, I got my first "motorcycle" this past spring... actually it is a scooter... a Honda Ruckus. I bought it as a pit bike to use at the race track (I have a 2010 Camaro used for drag racing... another thing I've always wanted to do was drag race a Camaro, but I digress...).

I put plates on my Ruck and got a permit to cruise around on the country roads around my house. I have spent some time riding and tinkering with the Ruck and realized that I really like the 2-wheeled experience. I never before realized how wonderful it was to feel the breeze, smell the smells, zoom around corners, and feel the world around me as I rode. I never experienced that in a car.

I modded the Ruck and upgraded it a bit. Here is what it looks like now...

I am having a ball with it.

I decided a couple of weeks ago that it was time to upgrade my motorcycle permit to a license. I thought it would be really good for me to learn to ride better and be a safe rider. So, I took the Basic Rider's Course at the Iron Pony Riding Academy in Columbus, Ohio. It was a 3-day, 16-hour course with 4 hours of classroom work and two days (6 hours each) of riding. It concluded with the state skills test. I learned a LOT about riding safely. I also know I have a lot more to learn. But, it really whetted my appetite to get a real motorcycle.

After doing some reading, I think the Honda CTX700N may be the bike for me. I stopped by the local Honda dealer to have a look at it. I must admit it looked big after riding my little Ruck all summer. But after I sat on it and played with the controls, it felt just perfect for my height and reach. It feels light and balanced and not intimidating at all. I really like the automatic with the paddle shifters (I have a medical issue that makes shifting a bit difficult for me. I can do it, but a long trip could be onerous for me). The trick is to get my dealer to come down a bit on the price.

I may have to wait until spring to get one. I read that Honda may come out with other versions of the CTX platform. I must admit, I'd like to get a 750 or even 800+ cc machine so I won't outgrow it in a year.

I have already been reading these forums and gotten a lot of good information from you folks. Thank you for that. I look forward to becoming an active member of this community.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dang. Forget the CTX and just ride that scooter. That thing is baaaaad!

CTX auto sounds like just the ticket for you (it sure was for my wife and I'm glad she waited for it, although hers has the clutch). Met a guy with an artificial left leg riding a NC700X auto. That bike sure was heaven sent for him. I think the auto bikes are going to be great for a lot of people.

Also, if you're only going to ride single and not two up, then I don't think you'll be outgrowing this bike any time soon.

Take care.

·
Registered
975 Posts
That is one stripped, good-looking scoot! Must be easy to work on. Love what you've done with the seat, exhaust, and wheels/tires.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. I love my little Ruck, but it only goes about 43 mph. (That's better than the 38 mph when I got it). I want to try some faster riding because I avoid highways with the Ruck. I don't go on roads that are even 55 mph. I'd like to be a little less restricted where I feel comfortable riding. I'll keep riding the Ruck, but I want a little bit fast bike.

My biggest concern about the CTX500N is taking a passenger. My husband does not sound very interested in riding with me though. He keeps saying if he wants to ride, he'll take the course and get his own motorcycle.

I saw in some of the news releases that Honda plans to release more bikes in the CTX line. Does anyone know if they'll be coming out with a 750+ bike anytime soon? I'd wait for that if I thought it was coming. Then I could likely ride with a passenger on it in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts