CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a female about 5' 3" with a 30" inseam. I just bought a Black CTX auto and I love it. My husband likes the way the auto works. He prefers the sport mode. He likes it as well. He rides a Buell and a Harley. I rode it around the block multiple times today. My husband took me two up for about 100 miles. It is not as comfortable two up but it is capable. Tuesday I am going to ride it on my day off. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike! I am a 5'2.75" female with a 30" inseam, and found it to be a very comfortable setup for my size.

Once you get comfortable riding it on your own, I'd be interested in at what RPM and/or speed the auto shifts you into each gear. I have the manual version in red, and have found it seems "happiest" upshifting at around 4k rpm, and downshifting at about 2k. The manual ridiculously recommends going into 6th gear at 37 or 39mph (I can't remember which), but unless I'm going at least 55mph when I hit 6th gear, my bike isn't happy.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike! I am a 5'2.75" female with a 30" inseam, and found it to be a very comfortable setup for my size.

Once you get comfortable riding it on your own, I'd be interested in at what RPM and/or speed the auto shifts you into each gear. I have the manual version in red, and have found it seems "happiest" upshifting at around 4k rpm, and downshifting at about 2k. The manual ridiculously recommends going into 6th gear at 37 or 39mph (I can't remember which), but unless I'm going at least 55mph when I hit 6th gear, my bike isn't happy.
+1.

I've never been one to up shift at ridiculously low RPM with my experiences with automobiles and plan to be the same way with an MC. I don't believe in it. I think it's bad for standard-shift power trains in general, lugging around all the time. I don't have any science to back up my assertion, but I can say that for thirty years I've owned nothing but straight shifts; I've always revved up to a reasonable level, and I've experienced fantastic reliability and durability in all of them I've owned. Plus I've always exceeding the estimated MPG. I think red lining all the time is bad too and I don't do that either except on occasion, but I'll probably be shifting somewhere around the same point as DewaltDakota. It seems reasonable considering where the red line is.

I once bought a straight-shift Ford Focus for my wife, and a light would come on recommending a shift at very low RPM (presumably to maximize fuel efficiency). She followed that recommendation, and we had to rebuild the transmission after a couple of months. I'm sure this is just a coincidence, and it was just a poor design or build quality, but it's still got me spooked, and I just won't do it. It kind of confirmed my suspicion, and besides, straight shifts don't like it. They act sick when one drives this way. It's almost as if they would say, if they could talk...what are you doing?...drive me like I'm supposed to be driven.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Jeeezzzeee I am so jealous that you already have and are riding the bikes. Congrats and keep posting with updates, all this information is great to read.

I have had a few bikes over the last 13 years and I was not convinced at first that I wanted the DCT, but after debating with myself, decided what the heck. I hope it is all I dream it will be.

As for shifting into higher gears at lower speeds I have always been told don't lug the motor, it will love you more for a lot longer. So I always try to have that feel for keeping it in the proper gear. I hope the automatic will give me and my new CTX the same respect I have given all my other motors :rolleyes:

BTW I am only 5' and like a 26 inch inseam, plan to give my toes a workout!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think I'm right in saying that this is the first bike in several decades to have a long stroke and low red line. It's not as "under-square" as the old iron which could go up the side of a brick wall in top, but it will pull more happily from low rpm than most people are accustomed to. Yes, you gotta have a sympathetic ear, but it's easy to tell if the machine is unhappy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am Anneoak's husband. I rode her two up yesterday and I rode 100 miles after work today. I like the DCT version of this bike. I ride a XR1200x and a Buell XB12r as my primary rides. I like a manual. In this bike the DCT works well with this engine design. I am used to a low redline on a motor. I have switched to manual on the ctx and it works good but it is best in sport mode. The normal mode is ok for around town but sport mode makes the transmission work like I would expect. The normal mode shifts to soon and in to low of a rpm. It does not quite lug the motor but it is not were it's power delivery is best served. Sport mode does not have these problems. I would pretty much keep it in sport mode and enjoy. The bike handles good. I scrape the pegs on fast tight corners. This is to be expected. I ride fast and am used to sporty bikes. She still has decent lean angle. The rider position takes some getting used to for me. It is not bad but I am used to a more sport orianted seating position. Suspension works well but large bumps will jar right up your spine. The sail effect of your body due to the bar position and feet placement can be tiring. I opened the passenger pegs and rest my feet there as well. Also, lean more into the wind ocassionally, this will help fatigue. Overall it is a neat, nice looking bike. I enjoy riding it and I know Anneoak will too. Tomarrow she is going to put some miles on it. Magster did you used to ride a Buell blast?

Reactions: donutninja

·
Registered
898 Posts
TheMagster still does ride the Buell Blast. Just about 2k miles shy of 100k miles between two of them right now. We still have the original but bent the rod. The current bike is running great and she loves it! She alternates between the Blast and Vulcan EN500, and she is trying to run some miles up on the Blast before the new bike arrives.
Are you a member of the "Bad Weather Bikers" forum?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, I had a blast I really loved. I sold it to get my wife a scooter. She did not like the blast, her loss. I now have a xb12r to fuel my Buell addiction. :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes, I had a blast I really loved. I sold it to get my wife a scooter. She did not like the blast, her loss. I now have a xb12r to fuel my Buell addiction. :D
The XB is a great bike! Mags loves her Blast but I kind of have a love/hate relationship with it since I work on it from time-to-time. But, I have to admit that the single has incredible character.
Onward to new tech and new bikes. I can't wait to ride the CTX and see how it handles myself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The manual ridiculously recommends going into 6th gear at 37 or 39mph (I can't remember which), but unless I'm going at least 55mph when I hit 6th gear, my bike isn't happy.
Sounds like the manual of my current Vulcan 500... it recommends shifting to 6th at 34 mph, and there is no way in **** the engine will like it. I typically don't shift into 6th until I'm going 55-60 mph as well.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I know this is not the forum for Vulcans but, I just dropped 2 teeth on the rear sprocket today on my wifes EN500 and it dropped 400 rpm on the tachometer at 75 mph. I know others had told me to do this but I resisted. The bike definitely ran better at highway speed. I wish I had done that 30k miles ago for her.

I wonder how the CTX700 would do with a smaller rear sprocket? Anyone out there running up to highway speeds yet that can report on engine feel?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Anneoak how was your ride

Hello Heyzeus and Pete (Batweather and Vulcan forums respectively) - a natural place to end up huh? Back when I let my V-star go I thought I would never find a bike I loved as much. Then along came the Blast - was I wrong. But, being hard on equipment another bike was a must and the EN500 was immediately perfect. I will never forget riding it away from the dealer and laying into that first curve; I later described it to a friend as "scary good".

I then recall dreaming of there was ever a cross between the Blast, the Vulcan and a Goldwing - I would own it. I believe this is it.

Now the real reason I came to this post - I could not wait to hear how Anneoak's day was...so? I hope you were able to enjoy your day of riding and I can't wait to hear all about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First ride

Took my first ride on the bike and it's great! I am always nervous the first time I have ridden any of my bikes, so I took it slow and easy. It is easy to ride, although as a scooter girl I had to practice braking with one foot and one hand, rather than with both hands. That takes a little getting used to, but it is no big deal, having experience with other motorcycles. I like the sport mode on the open road, but driving around town, the drive mode is easier for me. I am still learning all of the quirks of the bike, so I can't really be sure what works best. I am glad that there is finally a bike like this out on the market and one that I can actually ride b/c it is not too tall. I think a lot of people will like it.....:)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hello Thumper, a fellow Vulcan Forums member. :)
Hey Pete! Thanks. I guess you never know where you might run into other members from other forums. HeyZeus on this forum used to be on an FJR1300 forum and Buell forum we were members on also.
Motorcycling truly is a brotherhood/sisterhood thing.

Annyoak - sounds like the ride went very well. Would you expound on these quirks you mention or do you mean it is just different from what you were used to before?

Let the fun begin!

·
Registered
20 Posts
as a scooter girl I had to practice braking with one foot and one hand, rather than with both hands. That takes a little getting used to, but it is no big deal, having experience with other motorcycles.
I too had to make the transition from left hand/rear brake on my NC700XDCT but in a week I was pretty used to it. One difference is that when dismounting the scooter I always held the rear brake to prevent rolling. Since I can't do that anymore I instead set the parking brake before dismounting and it serves the same purpose.

·
Registered
975 Posts
As a scooter only rider myself, these are good pointers from fellow scooter folks. I'm sure it will seem weird at first on an MC for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So the bike has over 300 miles on it. She is a joy to ride. Very easy and not intimidating. I was tired and she was easy to use. Cornering was good. Mind you I am grinding the feelers off with the asphalt. She has a lot of wind blast over 70mph. I putted her up to 90 mph and she was fine. I used sport mode mostly. I rode most of San Diego's famous twisty back country yesterday. The seat is fantastic. I still think the bike needs a rear break lever on the left hand bar and some rear sets. Feet forward is fine but not my favorite place to put my feet. I do enjoy the bike over all. Today the Buell gets some love.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Heyzeus, Having the Buell and the CTX is confirming proof that 1 bike can not do it all. I think your chicken strips must be pretty narrow as I have not hit the feelers on the pegs yet as I still have some outside tire tread not used yet. Good to know the feelers actually hit first as they were designed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts