CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always wanted one ever since I saw one on the road. Been waiting for the right one to come along and one finally did. A pristine 2015 ctx with dct that has 3,600 miles on it. Still looks new and well taken cared for. i’ve always had scooters so the ctx with dct seems like a perfect way to move into motorcycles. Enjoyed riding it but I admit it‘s a bit heavy….Just need a few more days/weeks to get used to her. Anyway, glad to be here and become a ctx owner.
Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ve always wanted one ever since I saw one on the road. Been waiting for the right one to come along and one finally did. A pristine 2015 ctx with dct that has 3,600 miles on it. Still looks new and well taken cared for. i’ve always had scooters so the ctx with dct seems like a perfect way to move into motorcycles. Enjoyed riding it but I admit it‘s a bit heavy….Just need a few more days/weeks to get used to her. Anyway, glad to be here and become a ctx owner.
View attachment 89613
View attachment 89613
Congratulations! You will love this bike - I have the same one in black and can't get enough of her. If you can, take a motorcycle safety course. Where I live you can take a private lesson with your own bike and the instructors will help you with drills that will increase your skills and comfort specifically for your bike. I found this super helpful and accelerated my riding skills. When I upgraded from my starter bike CB450 to the CTX700 DCT I felt the same way and it took a while to adjust - but now I don't even think about the weight of bike she feels great! Love this bike, enjoy the road and be safe...

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

FYI, the CTX is lighter than a lot of the scooters in the market these days.

Reactions: Arrgh

·
Registered
41 Posts
Downsizing as well, my go by is if I can't put it on the center stand readily its to heavy. The DCT auto & forward controls are different from anything I have ridden before. As I frequently ride scooters, the expectation was it would be similar... I did not find it so, its different yet again. The forward controls are more of a reorientation though at least for me. By overriding the shift point in S mode by downshifting into corners using the paddle, the one issue of having an unexpected gear change in the corner was alleviated. On a recent 2 day trip, with unfortunate dips into traffic it was a huge relief though to ignore that clutch lever...

Current Scuderia... Two Piaggio's the Royal Enfield 650 and now Honda for the mile munching...
Vertebrate Sky Window Building Cartoon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome guys.
Lisa D, been wanting to enroll in a riding course near me but my job and available class schedules don’t jive. Hopefully i’ll free up my schdedule soon and enroll in one. It’s being offered by the local Harley dealer here.;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
huklbery…the throttle was the big thing for me…being used to riding scooters for so long with cvt transmissions. The ctx’s throttle response is instantanious compared to the delayed feel of scooters,aside from the much bigger engine. I just needed a few hours with the ctx to get used to it.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
348 Posts
Welcome to the Forum d51jdbar, I know what you mean since I also have owned both scooters and motorcycles. My CTX is a DCT and that makes it perfect for me since I love that on scooters, the twist & go feature. Once you get used to the way this CTX performs on the road you will be riding as much as possible. I am warning you, it is addictive!!! Safe travels amigo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hondafan, that’s why I've been wanting a ctx dct as my first motorcycle….the twist and go functionality. I can do manual shifting but doing that in LA traffic is a no no for me.
Oh, i’m already addicted. Just need to put on new tires as they still have the originals that came with the bike since new.

·
Registered
2017 Honda CTX700D
348 Posts
d51jdbar, same here with New York City traffic. Yes, you want to replace those tires as soon as possible if they are the originals, even if they have some tread on them, as I expect with 3,600 miles on the odometer. Also do not forget to check the air filter since rodents love to nest in them.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats on the new to you CTX! I'm with you on that DCT: it's great! After 45 years of riding mostly big road bikes (Harleys, Goldwings, BMWs), my wife and I switched to a couple scooters 9 years ago. I thought I would miss shifting... I was wrong; I enjoyed that Honda and a couple Vespas (GTS). After a hip replacement, I was ready to toss a leg over a bike again, and thought DCT would be the way to go. Turns out (for me), it is even better than I thought! I considered the current Honda DCT offerings in the mid-weight, but the Rebel 1100 felt a bit cramped and the NC750X was too tall for me. The CTX is a comfortable bike, plenty of power for my use, and good looks.

I have been asked about the DCT from riding friends. It makes me smile every time I ride: smooth take off from a stop, fast smooth shifts, and options with the different modes. You will adapt to the weight, since the bike is nicely balanced and carries its weight low.

For me, this is the right bike at the right time. I am impressed with the the performance and capabilities. Hope you enjoy yours as much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations d51jdbar! I live near Thousand Oaks, but when I took the CHP training class, I was living in Santa Clarita and took it from Top Gun Motorcycle Training held at College of the Canyons (with my three adult sons). It was a great course, but they were using Harleys and they shifted like crap...very stiff linkage and a lot of people were missing shifts. We really liked that the riding test for your license is held at the school and is more comprehensive than the DMV's "lollipop" course.

I have a CTX700 DCT and love it. Put on 20K miles in the first 2.5 years mainly through my 80 mile RT commute. I'm sure you'll love it as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks again for the welcome guys. Right now i’m enjoying the bike and using it for short trips. Once I get the hang and feel for it then time for longer trips. Still looking at chp courses that would fit my schedule.

·
Registered
67 Posts
New here from Canada getting my 2014 on the weekend. Harley guy all my life, time for something a little lighter ansd easier to handle. View attachment 89625
Welcome aboard! This would be heresy around some, but my CTX with the fairing reminds me a bit of one of the Harley dressers I had in the 90s (9 Harleys over the years). Especially with the floorboards I added, the CTX has a similar riding position. My downsizing from Harleys went to a BMW RT, then a V-Strom, before a deteriorating hip had me riding scooters for 9 years. The RT and V-Strom were both taller bikes, and I sure appreciate the lower seat height on the CTX... well, happy I can once again toss a leg over a motorcycle.

I see yours is the manual transmission - it should pull close to a Harley, except for the later, higher hp models. For a 670cc parallel twin, it has really good low end torque and is pretty smooth at speed... and a nice lope thanks to the 270º crank. I find it a very enjoyable ride (and really like the DCT - the main reason I searched out this model).

Enjoy your new ride!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts