CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new Corbin Low I ordered just arrived and snapped right into place. Will test this weekend and then will have a stock seat for sale off my 2018 CTX700ND

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Actually....

Let us know what you think of it when you've ridden a few miles on it. The general consensus is at least 100 miles to break it in.
Not to be contrary out of hand, but I don't want an apparent newbie to be disappointed by unreasonable expectations. Here's what the FAQ section of the Corbin site actually says about a break in:

In addition, Corbin's foam has a memory feature. After a break-in period of approximately 1500-2000 miles, the saddle will actually take on the shape of the rider which provides even better weight dispersion and custom fitted comfort.

Been there, done that and yes, it really takes that long, (but it is worth it, of course!). :nerd:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had a Corbin seat on a bike for 17k miles and it never broke in. It was never comfortable. Maybe it's because I only weigh 130 lbs?
Foolishly bought one for another bike, and after 3000 painful miles, replaced it with a Seat Concepts which was comfortable from day one.

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
I had a Corbin seat on a bike for 17k miles and it never broke in. It was never comfortable. Maybe it's because I only weigh 130 lbs?
Foolishly bought one for another bike, and after 3000 painful miles, replaced it with a Seat Concepts which was comfortable from day one.
Perhaps you are right. I weigh in as much as two of you! Maybe you should have hired my petite huge butt to break it in for you!
>:)>:)>:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to be contrary out of hand, but I don't want an apparent newbie to be disappointed by unreasonable expectations. Here's what the FAQ section of the Corbin site actually says about a break in:

In addition, Corbin's foam has a memory feature. After a break-in period of approximately 1500-2000 miles, the saddle will actually take on the shape of the rider which provides even better weight dispersion and custom fitted comfort.

Been there, done that and yes, it really takes that long, (but it is worth it, of course!). :nerd:
Well I wasn't looking at their website. So far I've gotten two bikes with Corbin seats already installed and don't have too many complaints.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Extremely happy with the new Corbin after putting several hundred miles on it. The stock seat killed me but this Corbin low is perfect! If anyone needs a stock seat off a 2018 CTX700ND let me know

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I hated my Corbin. Absolutely abhorred it. Like riding on a 2x12. I literally rued each day getting ready to ride, knowing in 20 miles my butt was going to be screaming out in pain. And I had it for the entire 24k I had on that bike when I traded it in. So it NEVER broke in to form to my body. My Seth Lamm I can easily put 3 to 400 miles a day with no complaint, and look forward to the next day's segment.

Reactions: vb18

·
Registered
120 Posts
Do you have any pictures?? I am also considering buying a low but curious how much more the seat will raise you then the factory seat??

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Do you have any pictures?? I am also considering buying a low but curious how much more the seat will raise you then the factory seat??
I don't have any pictures I think you'd want, but either Corbin will raise you up more than I think you'd want. I can also assure you that you'd be far better off with a Seth Laam, or better yet, the Russell DayLong (RDL). I now have the RDL on my trike after suffering thru both both the available versions of the Corbin. I wwould never have anything other than an RDL on anything I'm riding.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yeah I filled out the form on Laam web site just waiting for them to reply back to me with a cost on the seat that I want. The factory seat that I have is not only pushing me against the gas tank there is also no padding after about a hour riding this thing is really hurting me, I have even tried sitting on the hump this seat just sucks is all that I can really say about it. Other day ago road over 300

miles and next day I could not walk had the worse back pain in my life from it for sure. So even if a seat is $500 or $600 bucks or higher I am gonna half to get it, Really have no choice. Looks like Laam is also softer then Corbin by what I can tell anyways. Thought I would try them first and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Yeah I filled out the form on Laam web site just waiting for them to reply back to me with a cost on the seat that I want. The factory seat that I have is not only pushing me against the gas tank there is also no padding after about a hour riding this thing is really hurting me, I have even tried sitting on the hump this seat just sucks is all that I can really say about it. Other day ago road over 300

miles and next day I could not walk had the worse back pain in my life from it for sure. So even if a seat is $500 or $600 bucks or higher I am gonna half to get it, Really have no choice. Looks like Laam is also softer then Corbin by what I can tell anyways. Thought I would try them first and then go from there.
You might try one of the air cushions like Air Hawk. I used one while I waited for my Corbin to arrive. They helped me get through the waiting period with that stock seat.

Reactions: War_Book

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
It is too bad you couldn't try it before you buy. It's a lot of money to spend on an if it will work situation. I see several on the forum have not been happy with various seats they have bought. everyone is different.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Years ago I bought a Corbin seat for my Buell M2, and it really did take 1000+ miles to break in (160 lbs +gear), but I did like it. I have the stock seat on my CTX and have done several 500+ mile days without a whimper. I'm 5'8".

Reactions: 350Four

·
Super Moderator
3,117 Posts
Years ago I bought a Corbin seat for my Buell M2, and it really did take 1000+ miles to break in (160 lbs +gear), but I did like it. I have the stock seat on my CTX and have done several 500+ mile days without a whimper. I'm 5'8".
Roger that! But I tilt the scale with just over 100 pounds more than you, so to do 500 with an OEM seat would mean that the CTX was being towed by my KIA Soul!:giggle:

·
Registered
81 Posts
😃 Ride on!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You might try one of the air cushions like Air Hawk. I used one while I waited for my Corbin to arrive. They helped me get through the waiting period with that stock seat.
That is what I now use on my stock CTX seat. Used the same one on a stock Shadow Aero, the straps fit neatly under the seat. butt is comfortable as can be. I covered the AirHawk with suitable patterned sheep skin, attached to seat with wide elastic straps and upholstery hooks. My butt is happy, happy. The Airhawk is at least "adjustable" in terms of how much air acts as cushion. And costs hundreds of $ less. There is a minor change in seat height, but it is negligible. Both items are removable at end of day, or any time theft may be an issue.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts

Few things worse for comfort than a seat that is too firm or way too soft. Above sounds like the common problem of the '15 & later seats having the "hump" more forward than a '14, presumably to accommodate shorter inseams. Much discussion here on the subject. (I am much happier w/'14 seat on my '15...my inseam about 31"). I've had a couple of "Saddlemen" (off the shelf) seats that were decent & not too expensive, too bad not many such options for our CTX700. AirHawks can be a butt saver on high mileage days.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts