CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my CTX yesterday. I got the version with the fairing and the DCT. My saddlebags will be ready on Wednesday. I got the taller shield and the luggage rack also.

I also have a Suzuki Wee Strom and I have a history with larger bikes.

I chose this bike because I wanted to buy something that I could get serviced locally. There is a shop in town that handles Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha. All of the local Suzuki dealerships lost their franchises in the bankruptcy.

The automatic shifting is interesting. I can get by with S mode pretty well, but under hard riding in the twisties, it tends to make rough downshifts at the wrong times. I really like the manual mode better and this is not really a bike for hard riding anyway.

The D mode seems nice on the highway. I like the way I can enter the highway in S mode and then change to D on the fly.

I am a bit concerned about rear tire life. The downshifts tend to be a bit abrupt.

I will have to go back to the standard wind screen until I can find something in the aftermarket. That taller Honda screen creates the worst head buffeting I've ever experienced. I can get a smoother ride by hunkering down over the tank to get closer to the screen. But if I wanted to ride like that I could have bought an FJR.

I hope I can find something like the old Clearview screens that were wider and taller, but still fit at the base.

This bike is not nearly as smooth as the Wee and it lacks the top-end power. But in the rpm range that I use for 99% of my riding, it is just as capable.

The forward foot controls are not as uncomfortable as I expected. If I can find a bigger windshield I wouldn't be afraid to ride this bike from coast to coast.

·
Registered
115 Posts
that's concerning on the windshield, as that -- along with the 12v adapter -- are the two pieces of farkle on my list. how tall are you, if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll post some pictures on SmugMug when I get off work tonight.

I'm 5'10' and a bit long in the torso. I'm wearing an Arai XD4 helmet.

I rode to work on the highway today and I have to say that the bike is pretty much useless for me above 55 mph. If I can't find a good aftermarket screen, I'll put the short one back on. It shook my head so bad I couldn't read the street signs. I almost thought I'd bought a Harley.

The buffeting goes away completely if I lean forward over the tank.

The buffeting is the only real negative I've seen in the bike. Once I get that sorted out I'll really enjoy this bike.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the Naked version DCT and have done a great deal of research on the windscreen for these bikes. Madstad engineering out of central Florida specializes in aftermarket adjustable windscreens. All the reviews confirm their windshields are something special and unique in controlling buffeting. They have designed a specific windscreen for the CTX which is in the final testing stage. They emailed me on Friday and informed me they will be ready for shipment next week. They claim instalation is as easy as a Ikea project, although not being at all mechanically inclined I am taking mine to the dealer for instalation. The dealer agreed to install for free as part of my 'deal'. Anyway check it out at Home - Madstad Engineering . The guy I deal with is the chief engineer, Cody. I will find his email address and post it.
Good luck.. JDL

·
Registered
22 Posts
Can't disagree with that observation but I had the bike out on the highway today and at 75 miles an hour without a screen it is a bitch.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Yep, agree with you. Their windshield might be great and the price is fair but they could try making a different bracket in my mind that is on ugly one.

I am 5ft 8in and my F15 windshield works great for me. I think new they are under 140.00 Sure knocks a lot of wind noise down in my helmet too. Granted it cost me 65.00 used on ebay (had 1 little scratch) and I spent another 6 bucks on bolts at Ace Hardware and made 4 long bracket rods. Granted I have a drill, a hacksaw, a vise and a grinder on my work bench. Been on now for over 1000 miles. See How to section for more details.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few more observations:

After a bit more riding I've decided I like the manual mode enough to use it nearly all the time.

The bike leans way over on the short side stand.

The mirrors are smaller than what I'm used to.

The bike handles itself very nicely in the wind around the big trucks.

The bike is very easy to move around in the garage.

The low seat makes it very easy to turn around in a gravel parking lot.

The parking brake is a new concept for me. I like it.

I've gotten a lot of compliments on the color. Folks seem to like the contrast of the black with the bright red in the sunlight.

So far no one has complimented the muffler.

The forward foot position means I can't stand up to jump the railroad tracks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i think i prefer manual mode, too. even in s mode, the cpu doesn't let the lower gears rev up enough for smooth, quick turnouts from a stop, and still tries too hard to get you into 6th.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Tenn.Smith,

Great report and pics. Thank you.

First I've seen someone bring up not being able to avoid railroad tracks. It never crossed my mind I'd lose that ability with the forward foot position. Something else to consider.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just to be sure I'm tracking this thread correctly, is it correct to assume Tennessee Smith is referring to a windshield solution for the faring model and everyone else is discussing a MadStad solution for the naked model?

I went to the Madstad website, and while it lists both the CTX700 and CTX700D, I find pictures only of a screen for the N model.

Ugly or not, if Madstad has to create an ugly bracket to change the angle and get the air going over correctly, I'd be interested. But like Tennessee Smith, I'm referring to the fairing model and his pictures show the fairing model with the tall accessory screen, and if I'm understanding correctly, this is the set up that his having trouble with the buffeting above 55.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered the universal Laminar Lip for ten inch windshields this morning. I'll get it in a week or so. Laminar Products for Universal Universal Cruisers

In the meantime, I'll pick up the original small screen when I get the saddle bags on Wednesday.

Yes, mine is the model with the fairing. The Madstad solution looks like it's for the naked model.

My Suzuki has a spoiler on the little windshield, but it's still a very short windshield and keeps my face in the breeze. That's not a good solution for riding long distances on cold mornings.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I just got an email back from someone at Madstad who stated that someone is sending them a shorty screen on the faring model and they will look at designing one for the fairing models. The person that is sending it to them hates the OEM tall screen. Maybe it's someone on here.

·
Premium Member
1,030 Posts
Great. I hope they come up with something between the short and tall factory screens, and maybe available in a light tint. To me the short appears too short and the tall does not look good on the bike. Kind of too narrow for the height. I know they are members of the forum here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd really like something taller and wider than the larger Honda screen. I'll be doing quite a few 600 mile days on this bike.

I had a Clearview screen on one of my ST1100s. It was four inches wider and four inches taller. It made a huge difference on the long days.

I hope Honda sells lots of these bikes so we get lots of aftermarket options.

Reactions: CaseSteam
1 - 20 of 39 Posts