CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I picked up a new to me 2014 CTX. The previous owner had the dealer install heated grips when he bought the bike new. He mentioned to me when I bought it that he had intended to buy new heavier bar ends to hopefully fix the vibes caused by the lighter heated grips, but never did. After a hundred mile ride home with my new to me bike I can confirm it does in fact have bad vibes. I never noticed it while riding but after getting home it was obvious. What is the best and most cost effective way to fix this? Will new ends resolve it as the previous owner suggested? I have a big ride coming up in a month and need some help!!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
983 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

I'm not sure why the stock bar ends weren't re-installed but I would look for some.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would check tire balance and bike alignment if the stock end weights are installed.... especially with an unknown history/P.O......

Below is a list of things to consider for handlebar vibrations:

Lots of different ways to address handlebar vibration.

Some things to think about:
1) make sure engine mount bolts and the handlebar mounts are all tight and torqued properly. An under torqued mount or handlebar bolt can allow vibration to resonate through the bike.
2) Make sure you are not gripping the handlebar too hard. A white knuckle grip will cause over sensitivity to the vibrations.
3) The handlebars are control inputs and not hand holds for hanging onto the bike. Your thighs, knees and butt keep you connected to the bike, not your hands.
4) Make sure levers are tight, if you have aftermarket levers they can have sloppy tolerances and amplify vibrations.
5) Stock handlebar weights are intended to deaden vibrations in the handlebars. A loose or missing handlebar weight can't do it's job. If you removed the weights for aftermarket bar ends or bar end mirrors that could be the cause.
6) Are you wearing gloves?
7) You can change the vibrating harmonic of the handlebar by filling it with something like silicon caulking or similar filling materials. Adding weights inside the handlebars can also change the harmonic of the handlebars.
8) Do you regularly relax you grip and flex your hands while riding? Holding your hand in one position too long can cause it to go numb.
9) Try moving the handlebars forward and aft to change the angle of your wrists when you ride.
10) Make sure the clutch and brake lever are properly aligned with your forearm while riding to minimize the angle your wrists are bent while riding. This is the most comfortable position for most people, gives you the best control of the levers and tends to NOT pinch nerves and blood vessels in the wrist (carpal tunnel).
11) you can try a cramp-buster type of throttle rest.
12) Make sure you are NOT riding with your elbows locked. Your elbows should be loose and bent at least a little.
13) Suspension setting affect how much road vibration gets to your hand.
14) Tire balance, tire wear, chain alignment can also be sources of vibration.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Owner had grips installed on purchase so did he ride the bike before they were installed to compare no vibration before install and lots after to blame the heated grips? Search heated grips on this site and there are many who have installed heated grips and I can’t find anyone complaining of increased vibrations after install. This is one of the most vibration free bikes I have ever owned with the stock grips covered by grip puppies. If it is just a slight buzz or tingling I would try loosening the bars, adjust them to where they fit you best and torque them down to spec. Maybe try a cheap set of grip puppies, According to them and verified by mzflorida in the link they work with heated grips.
Grip puppies

·
Registered
59 Posts
It sounds to me that the previous owner anticipated you noticing the vibration and came up with an excuse ahead of time to try and explain it. It could be any number of things but the excuse he gave you does not sound legit. At what speed does it start? Does it get worse at a certain speed? Does it only do it in high gear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the replies guys.

I couldn’t feel the vibration at all while riding. I only noticed after getting home from the 100 mile ride of mostly freeway that my hands were very numb.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Sometimes a very small change can make a difference. When I replaced my CTX handlebar with an NC700/750X unit, I used the original end weights. It felt fine when riding but my fingertips were a bit numb afterward. I changed to the heavier NC700X weights (part # 53105-MK4-620) and no more numbness. If you have a friend with an NC700/750X or a Gold Wing, see if he/she will swap end weights for a day. (Grab weight, turn screw.) They are about 5 cm longer and I-forget-how-much heavier (not much) than the CTX700 weights.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sometimes a very small change can make a difference. When I replaced my CTX handlebar with an NC700/750X unit, I used the original end weights. It felt fine when riding but my fingertips were a bit numb afterward. I changed to the heavier NC700X weights (part # 53105-MK4-620) and no more numbness. If you have a friend with an NC700/750X or a Gold Wing, see if he/she will swap end weights for a day. (Grab weight, turn screw.) They are about 5 cm longer and I-forget-how-much heavier (not much) than the CTX700 weights.
Thanks for that info. I’ll go ahead and just order those NC weights. They are only $10 from my parts supplier and I have to order some filters anyways.

·
Registered
67 Posts
100 miles with a different riding position/handlebar set up could cause you the numb hands. If you didn't notice the vibration while riding, it probably isn't the issue. Crazy as it may sound, the gloves I wore on my previous bike were comfortable... but left me with a crease by my thumb and some hand numbness on the CTX. Different gloves made a difference. Also, if it is the original rubber on the bike, I would have concerns that the tire may be getting pretty long in the tooth, even if there is plenty of tread left.

Heavier bar end weights made a difference on the Vespa GTS I had prior to the CTX; OEM top case from Piaggio came with heavier bar end weights to offset the additional weight on the back of the bike.

More seat time may show that it a different riding position rather than the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts