CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening (CDT my location)

Not a CTX 700 owner just yet, going to look at one this w/e.

CTX700 appears to meet my criteria, light, low seat height, capable of posted highway speeds (75-80 MPH excluding times when that little long haired outlaw appears), nearby dealer, < 10 years old.
I'm looking forward to some of the newer amenities offered by a newer ride.
As well as learning from this august body of individuals.

Currently riding a '02 Triumph Bonneville America. The machine is as reliable as sunrise, only requiring replacement of gaskets that starting to seep oil from age, and the usual expendable items. Parts are becoming an issue, and nearest dealer is 5 hours away.

·
Super Moderator
1,064 Posts
Welcome!

Honda CTX is an appliance.

·
Registered
2016 Honda CTX700 DCT
695 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The CTX700 is a great little bike, either in DCT or manual (which one are you looking at?) and easy to take care of, especially if you've got a nearby dealer to do the heavy lifting for ya. Lots of great tips around here, too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies.

I on the fence about the DCT.
I don't know if this is a fair comparison, bit the Matriarch's Mustang has a paddle shifter and I'm not a fan. Perhaps it would be different on a m/c.

Sadly, our local Honda dealer is more a ATV/UTV/boat/dirt bike dealer than a motorcycle dealer. If you are interested in a 20G+ Indian they are happy to talk to you but mention any others and they lose interest quickly. Ok, let me step off the soap box.

I'm not interested in wrenching on my motorcycle, I simply do not enjoy it.
A simple bolt on accessory is ok, but an off season tear down, rebuild, and heavy modifications are not my thing.

Reliability, Comfort, 150-200 mile range (although my dairy-aire & bladder give out sooner), are the priorities.

This has caught my eye.

·
Registered
216 Posts
On DCT: If the lady’s Mustang is a new GT500 with the DCT, then it will be the same. If it is a slush box, then no.

On comfort: Some riders are okay with the damping-free rear shock. I wasn’t. YMMV.

·
Registered
28 Posts

I don't know if this is a fair comparison, bit the Matriarch's Mustang has a paddle shifter and I'm not a fan. Perhaps it would be different on a m/c.

Sadly, our local Honda dealer is more a ATV/UTV/boat/dirt bike dealer than a motorcycle dealer. If you are interested in a 20G+ Indian they are happy to talk to you but mention any others and they lose interest quickly. Ok, let me step off the soap box.

A simple bolt on accessory is ok, but an off season tear down, rebuild, and heavy modifications are not my thing.

Reliability, Comfort, 150-200 mile range (although my dairy-aire & bladder give out sooner), are the priorities.

This has caught my eye.
If this bike is not buggered up, it seems like a most reasonable price from a dealer, you could probably talk them down to 4500, maybe a bit more. My history with a CTX is short, but if they are like the other 7 Hondas I have owned, my Harley buddies do the breaking down and I continue to ride with normal maintenance. Maybe this shop would let you test ride and you can form an opinion if it works for you. Saddly the number of shops that specialize in motorcycles continues to drop as it has been since about 2009, but by dealing in multi sports vehicles the big shops can continue. Indian is smart as many of their dealers participate in multi adventure vehicle shops, and it certainly helps that Polaris owns them. In past couple years or so Harley has closed shop on maybe 300 dealers( many that were long time dealers) and it may come the time they have to go to multi use shops.

·
Registered
2015 CTX700
19 Posts
Man, it's amazing what happened to prices. I picked mine up in 2016, a '15 model for $3500, with 1000 miles on it, but no accessories at all. The one you're looking at has factory hard bags, passenger back rest/carrier, and aftermarket windshield, though, so that's good.

You can probably get them down a few hundred. As for what to look for... I can't really think of any problem areas. The manual version is pretty bulletproof. You'll want to add some creature comforts once you ride it a bit and see what suits you. I recommend the Corbin low seat. Very comfortable. The stock seat is ok for maybe an hour of riding. Madstad lower deflectors, if you'll be riding in cooler weather.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If this bike is not buggered up, it seems like a most reasonable price from a dealer, you could probably talk them down to 4500, maybe a bit more. My history with a CTX is short, but if they are like the other 7 Hondas I have owned, my Harley buddies do the breaking down and I continue to ride with normal maintenance. Maybe this shop would let you test ride and you can form an opinion if it works for you. Saddly the number of shops that specialize in motorcycles continues to drop as it has been since about 2009, but by dealing in multi sports vehicles the big shops can continue. Indian is smart as many of their dealers participate in multi adventure vehicle shops, and it certainly helps that Polaris owns them. In past couple years or so Harley has closed shop on maybe 300 dealers( many that were long time dealers) and it may come the time they have to go to multi use shops.
If I may ask, could you be more specific as your meaning of buggered up, I will assume your are referring to wrecked, or dropped?

I will agree, the family or single proprietor owned, single franchise dealer, with a few exceptions, are history. What I have noticed of late is multi location (as many as 4-5 in various cities &/or States) dealerships. Much the same as auto dealer all seems to be part of a group. I suppose economy of scale at work, not necessarily a bad thing, just the way things are.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I may ask, could you be more specific as your meaning of buggered up, I will assume your are referring to wrecked, or dropped?

I will agree, the family or single proprietor owned, single franchise dealer, with a few exceptions, are history. What I have noticed of late is multi location (as many as 4-5 in various cities &/or States) dealerships. Much the same as auto dealer all seems to be part of a group. I suppose economy of scale at work, not necessarily a bad thing, just the way things are.
Yes, buggered is cosmetic condition. Harley is demanding only multi location dealers for the most part, just like automotive and multi sport vehicle dealers. I do not know how the Chevy dealer, Troutwine Auto Sales since about 1928, in my little one horse town of Arcanum, OH ( far NW Dayton, OH ) area has remained. They even have attendants that pump gas for you vehicle, even if all that is left is the owner.

·
Super Moderator
3,394 Posts

This has caught my eye.
JSYK, as a comp, I paid $3900 for the same model with 4750 miles (minus the OEM bags, but had aftermarket ones) in December 2015!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Welcome. The bike your looking at looks reasonably priced and in good condition. You could just add an aftermarket seat and pretty much be set. Most budget bikes have lousy seats. My bike had a little over 5 thousand miles on it and who ever had it didn't use gas stable and fill tank before parking so had rust in tank. Had tank cleaned and fuel pump rebuilt and no more problems. My only complaint is chain drive. It's easy to maintain. Some people complain about servicing the air filter because of removing the plastics. They should try replacing the filter on a Goldwing. 4hrs labor. Good luck on your decision. Keep us updated on your decision.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It seems like there are far more DCT than manual owners but I have not found any issues with my manual (of course, they don't sell theDCT in Canada), but for people with any sort of hand / wrist problems the DCT would be great.
It seems like there are quite a few bikes on the market or even unused older models still sitting in dealer crates. Keep us posted on what you get and how it gets modified.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts