CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 45 years of riding I’ve never had a NEW battery fail me. Just glad I wasn’t on a long road trip when it failed.

I ride this bike almost daily and just rode it Friday to work.
2015 CTX w/DCT with around 26,000 miles.
Once it’s running everything runs great.

I was on my way to meet a member of this forum that lives close to me but first I was going to have breakfast.
Hopped on the bike and it won’t turn over, just some clicking sounds, so I jumped it in the garage.
Stopped to get some cash, needed a jump to start it. (I always keep a set of jumpers on my bike.)
Stopped for breakfast again needed a jump.
Texted Tcbiker1 and told him I needed to cancel and get down to the bottom of what was wrong.

Rode back home just fine and get the volt meter out.
Now this is a new 3 month old, 190 cold cranking amp battery.
Voltage read fine but took it out of the bike and ran to the shop that I bought it from.
On the way I’m thinking it might be the starter relay, as it fires up great when jumped, so it can’t be the starter.
The shop runs the diagnostics on the battery and they say it’s a bad battery.
The good news is it’s under warranty.

I’ll know much more tomorrow when my new battery arrives.
Just wanted to pass this along for others to learn from.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I watched a show on batteries a while back and they were talking about buzz words on them like super, heavy duty and such these words are put on to make us think that they are top quality but in reality they are just so so products. It's best to buy a major brand battery. I looked it up and there are only a few battery manufacturers. Each brand is made to who ever selling thems specifications. AC Delco and Interstate batteries are made by the same company but are they the same quality? Who knows?🤔

Bryan

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yes its rare, but why are all you surprised that a fairly new battery can go bad???
Any thing that is made can have a "off" one of its product for one reason if another.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got the new replaced battery in and she started right up. I've used the Yusa battery in several bikes, they are nice but man have battery prices gone up. O'Rielly price-matches with Walmart so I'm hoping to get a good 4 years old of my $52 investment compared to 5 years old of the much more expensive brands. Only time will tell if I made the right choice.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sorry, but if you get 3 years out of the battery consider it good.
I replace my car batteries at 6 years even IF they might still be good.
When I go out at -20°F to start it, I want it to start!

Same with my bike.
At 3 years I'm thinking its time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I read somewhere that Walmart has the best battery & the best replacement. So I brought one about a year ago, so far, so good. Here's what I like, it's a 5 year full replacement, no pro rating...…. Hard to believe !

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts