CTX 700 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm a brand new ctx7000 with fairing rider in Australia. I have been looking at a few options for luggage. It already has back bracket for a top box, but may consider side panniers either soft or hard but will ride with a pillion sometimes. Also wanted to know anything about extended windshield options and more importantly if I should get crash bar/ frame slider protection for the sides or fairing. Anyone been able to source these in Australia?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
howdy there
welcome to the forum and i'm only a former ctx-dct rider so what would i know. when considering the fairing, consider the air flow. my experience was that the buffeting you may experience is coming from "down under" so the first thing i would consider is fork lowers then almost any windscreen will work well. you will need crash bar to install roo guard. try to keep the weight of the roo guard under 200 kilos.:devilish:
is your scoot the dct and is it a fairing model? there will be many sensible responses but most will want to know. of course the fastest color is red and that will get you speeding tickets while waiting at a yield sign so add that to the budjet.
again, welcome from a place far far away and i live far away too
ken

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ken thanks for the reply. I have always traditionally ridden naked bikes so this is the first with a fairing hence the thoughts about side bars to protect it from a drop. Never heard of roo guard not sure I'm going to be running into any kangas hopefully

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi Skywatcher. Congrats on the new bike!

Crash bars versus sliders...depends on what you want to achieve. Honestly, the best protection is a combination of the two. Crash bars connect at multiple points, so they disperse energy a bit better than sliders. Crash bars leave engine parts vulnerable though. Sliders help protect engine parts but don't disperse energy as well as bars. If you add either, buy quality. With knock off you run the risk of just a cosmetic item or one that could bend your frame in a tip or slide. Also make sure the shear strength of the bolt is appropriate so that if you do tip, the frame does not wind up bent. I hope I am not stating too much of the obvious or too much on this point.

Lots of friendly and trustworthy men and women here. I am sure that the group would be happy to help by shipping something over to you that you can't source in AU. We own a VFR, as well as the CTX, which is far more popular in the EU and UK than it is here. Members on the VFR forum have shipped things to me and vice versa. I'm confident we can do the same here.

Anyhow, congrats again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou for replying. Really appreciate the sound advice. It's early days but may look at engine crash bars which hopefully protect the engine case and the fairing above in one go. Somebody has already told me to opt for soft panniers rather than the hard original ones as they thought they are more practical. Again thankyou for your kind support regarding trades.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hi Skywatcher. Congrats with the new bike and welcome to the forum.

You have already heard some of the important views on equipment; you will hear more about seats and floorboards. If you have read much you will appreciate the fact that many readers will want to hear your views on oil and tires....

Many, including me, have opted for alternate cases. I have gone the Shad route: SH46 top box and SH36 side cases with the 3P mounting system; got lucky and they came with the inner liner bags.
As Ken noted, lowers will help with wind and noise. Madstat mades a nice windshield (screen?) that I bought along with their lowers (reminds me of Mark Knopfler and his song the Bug..
great driving song....). Each are good, but the two together make a very nice combo.

What is your riding experience? prior bikes?

Going through old threads will give you some great reading and many topics are covered. Any questions will get you a variety of replies. One word of caution: there are a variety of senses of humour here (speaking of which, many have spelling problems and omit their "u"s on words like humou or colour") and you will pick that up. If someone says something that seems a bit strange, please don't take offence as offence is seldom intended.

cheers, Phil

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
howdy and a smarty response to your response
better to ride a naked bike than a bike naked which can "sting"---a lot.
i was in sydney in march , on the last princess tour to be allowed to dock anywhere in new zealand. we had covid on board when arriving back but were allowed to disembark and the ship re-loaded and sailed but wasn't allowed to enter new zealand and had more than a hundred cases(covid not luggage) on board when returning sydney. i got home to washington state which was by then the center of covid in the u.s. and spent several months timidly social before catching the covid a week before being scheduled to fly to israel as an immigrant. after a couple iffy days and recovering , i finally did immigrate a couple weeks ago and have completed quarantine and started the rounds of government, health and bank offices. i'm typing this on my new dual language keyboard bought yesterday. long story to explain why i don't have a ctx but do have experience.

שלום that's shalom and passes for howdy and be at peace.

ken

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome story ken, sorry about the covid though. I have been to Israel a long time ago now 1992. Think it's changed alot since of course. Wonder if there any ctx700 over there. Be awesome if there were 😁

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Phil, I have previously had the following bikes in no particular order, honda cg125. Honda benly 185 Honda cb100 cfmoto 150 Suzuki gs500e Yamaha fz6n so this is the first " cruiser" with first fairing on a bike and foewaed controls so feels quite different. Have order those recommended floorboards from us so should have those before Xmas. Just looking for a nice top box now

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
howdy actually i was here three years ago and found they didn't have the ctx 700 but did have the 750. i asked about whether they could and would service and repair it with the idea i might bring it with me. i found the cost to do so was way out of line. i'm seriously thinking of buying a sym or kymco 250 scooter to get aroun though i;m encouraged by the resumed bus service. i'm also talking to a leasing company about a really small car which i can lease for 30 months and then take advantage of a tax savings for immigrants which i can use just after the lease. it might work out.
the lease would be about 2700 bucks down and about three hundred a month plus only insurance and maintainance.
byebye
ken

·
Registered
492 Posts
howdy actually i was here three years ago and found they didn't have the ctx 700 but did have the 750. i asked about whether they could and would service and repair it with the idea i might bring it with me. i found the cost to do so was way out of line. i'm seriously thinking of buying a sym or kymco 250 scooter to get aroun though i;m encouraged by the resumed bus service. i'm also talking to a leasing company about a really small car which i can lease for 30 months and then take advantage of a tax savings for immigrants which i can use just after the lease. it might work out.
the lease would be about 2700 bucks down and about three hundred a month plus only insurance and maintainance.
byebye
ken
Funny. I stumbled across an article about Israel's motorcycle market. I think it was about market share. Very small market.

My daughters both have the latest Kymco Like (without Bluetooth). Trouble free except for two recalls...one electrical issue and the fuel pump. Combined on the two bikes probably about 13k miles. I enjoy riding it. Peppy little platform. Don't lose the keys. Pricey.

Sorry for going off topic.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
howdy , yes in regard to number of units sold that market is small but scooters are very common on the streets and are aggressive in thier driving in splitting lanes and riding around traffic using the shoulder of the road and even the sidewalks. they are like the grizzly bear in that they go where they want and park where they want. most scooters show the result of contact with other vehicles with mirrors and body panels missing or damaged. i have had sym, kymco and two piaggios so i'm not averse to buying one to get around and since i have limited ability to walk, i can then park relatively close to my destination. there is a major advantage because there are no buses or other public transport on shabbat(saterday) so if you want to go somewhere on saturday, you have to have your own transport and avoid certain areas.
ken

·
Registered
492 Posts
most scooters show the result of contact with other vehicles with mirrors and body panels missing or damaged.
Brave man given the evidence! The screw on my mirror mount is discolored and I'm replacing it. The thought of being knocked around doesn't sit well with me...type A I guess.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
howdy , yes in regard to number of units sold that market is small but scooters are very common on the streets and are aggressive in thier driving in splitting lanes and riding around traffic using the shoulder of the road and even the sidewalks. they are like the grizzly bear in that they go where they want and park where they want. most scooters show the result of contact with other vehicles with mirrors and body panels missing or damaged.
I am thinking of a wheel modification, somewhat similar to the Ben-Hur chariot race between 1:10 and 1:26

·
Registered
492 Posts
Thankyou for replying. Really appreciate the sound advice. It's early days but may look at engine crash bars which hopefully protect the engine case and the fairing above in one go. Somebody has already told me to opt for soft panniers rather than the hard original ones as they thought they are more practical. Again thankyou for your kind support regarding trades.
Hard versus soft panniers is kind of like seats and tires...very subjective. Both achieve the end of holding stuff while you get from one place to another. Comes down to performance, ease of use, protection, aesthetics, capacities, etc. I say go for the cheapest, maybe even used, option first and go from there. I think FortNine or one of the other popular vloggers produced a comparison video.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hi there, I'm a brand new ctx7000 with fairing rider in Australia. I have been looking at a few options for luggage. It already has back bracket for a top box, but may consider side panniers either soft or hard but will ride with a pillion sometimes. Also wanted to know anything about extended windshield options and more importantly if I should get crash bar/ frame slider protection for the sides or fairing. Anyone been able to source these in Australia?
Welcome to the Forum and safe riding.:)🌈

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hard versus soft panniers is kind of like seats and tires...very subjective. Both achieve the end of holding stuff while you get from one place to another. Comes down to performance, ease of use, protection, aesthetics, capacities, etc. I say go for the cheapest, maybe even used, option first and go from there. I think FortNine or one of the other popular vloggers produced a comparison video.
I love my SHAD side cases and they held my bike up and kept it from getting scratched when I dropped it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts