CTX 700 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background to produce an accurate appraisal

CTX700 2014. Bought at 8K miles in July 2020, been garage kept for a long time before I bought it. Has not been rode often. Stock brakes were installed and stock brakes are still there to this day (as well as rotors). Today the odometer reads 18500 miles. I WILL be changing the brakes for sure soon.

I realize that I didn’t move the bike to get the rest of the rotor but I hope this can give you an idea.
Thanks!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Shape, thickness, surface condition and color are what you look for. But, if your gut tells you to change the rotors do it. Check the runout to make sure it is within tolerances. Use a caliper to measure the thickness and compare it to Honda's spec for safety. The surface does not appear to be bad. When rotors change color to blue, kind of like your exhaust pipes, change them as they are overheating and entirely unsafe.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hard to tell from pics, but mzflorida is correct. The miles on the bike do not mean time for brake or rotor change out if working properly and pads are still not worn down, now changing the brake fluid is another thing... miles and years affect that. If never changed, it's past due. Also other fluids.

If you have a Honda shop near by, you could always ask for a quick inspection of the rotors. Doubt they will charge for a quick look.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
my understanding is that sitting without use for long periods of time can result in rotor warpage: not sure why but that happened to a car I bought from government surplus years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts